Malaysia prepaid card

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Bought a new prepaid DIGI best for corner shop ran by a Blanga in KL. Everything is good except the mobile no was blocked by grab. Tried appeal to grab but was rejected.

1 question. Would it be easy to setup the prepaid card say I bought the DIGI live now and activate it and use it 2mths later?

Can still use that number if you want, just use another number (even an SG number) to sign for that Grab account. Whenever you book, just put a Note that your contact number is the Digi number.

I sometimes switch my Malaysian SIM cards so number may be different from the Grab account in a particular phone I use. I just put in the Note "Tel No. 01x-xxxx-xxxx".

AFAIK, you can activate the Digi SIM card sometime after (before the Activate By/Before date printed on the pack), if it's not already activated by the dealer (not many will give you the card before activating). But I personally feel there's a risk if the registration isn't done properly or completed, and you only realize months later when you try to activate the card. Then you'll have to go back to that dealer or a Digi Store/Center to get it registered.

Last edited:

really_noob

Reaction score
Gents,

Bought a new prepaid DIGI best for corner shop ran by a Blanga in KL. Everything is good except the mobile no was blocked by grab. Tried appeal to grab but was rejected.

1 question. Would it be easy to setup the prepaid card say I bought the DIGI live now and activate it and use it 2mths later?

Probably a recycled number problem? There's always that small risk regardless of where you buy it from, unless you can be sure you're getting a brand new number.

I use my SG Grab account in MY. Lazy to create new account on the new number. Didn't put my MY number when I book in MY either, the driver can always text or call in the app like what they have done. I prefer texting because it eliminates the language barrier with the auto translation. My Hotlink I only buy data bundle. If the driver contact me outside of the app, I have to pay from my credits. I use my credits to call to make reservation at a nice restaurant better la.

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need something for about 5 days in Genting. Basically data plan for social media stuff and whatsapp. Looking at around 3Gb like that.

I read that you can download an app so don't have to physically swap SIM cards?

Any prepaid or whatever to recommend? Plan to buy in Malaysia.

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need something for about 5 days in Genting. Basically data plan for social media stuff and whatsapp. Looking at around 3Gb like that.

I read that you can download an app so don't have to physically swap SIM cards?

Any prepaid or whatever to recommend? Plan to buy in Malaysia.

I was using umobile previously, not too good cos poor connection at many places, even on ns hwy. now am using xox. No probs so far. Bought from a dealer here. Cannot remember how much it cost for a new prepaid xox line but it has more than 12 months validity.

Been told that Digi has better offers/ deals. Do compare both b4 deciding.

YouHeypiCanLiao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm on hotlink. Happy with what I've got so far. I go in once a month on average, or at least once every two months. So the part about the card going inactive and subsequently expire unless you top up doesn't really bother me, I just monitor. Even if I don't go, my family member will go and will borrow my SIM card, since it's cheaper than the SG prepaid card for day trips.

I checked out Digi and I told the guy mine is mostly day trips. He said Digi doesn't have one day package, so he send me over to his competitor, Maxis. He even pointed out the Maxis store to me! I was a bit shocked because you won't get such things in SG - like a Starhub staff telling you they don't have what you want, go to Singtel and see.

The Maxis girl was not bad, explained to me how everything works regarding the inactive and expiry, help me to download the app, top up etc. I used to top up on the app using my SG credit card RM10 each time, then realise a bit wasteful because I only spend RM3 out of the RM10 and suffer credit card exchange rates.
So I just buy the RM5 voucher from those convenience store, before going in then activate again.

Best part with Hotlink (I dunno about the others) is you get ASEAN Roaming at RM10 per day max. Great for trips to Indonesia and Bangkok. Our local telcos data roaming plans really CMI.

Got play those top up , expiry thingy ?

really_noob

Reaction score
do you need to top up occasionally to maintain it?

Yes you'll need to. Basically when you top up RM10, you get 10 days validity (basically RM1 per day).
After the 10 days, it goes into inactive mode. Your remaining credit is still there but inactive. It will remain inactive for 90 days, after which your number and credits will be terminated (gone). To make it active again, you need to top up.

So if you go in and top up on average once a month, you can keep the SIM card active. That's why there's a long discussion on which SIM card offers a long validity in this thread.

All the dates, top up, buy data bundle, you can do in the app.

YouHeypiCanLiao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes you'll need to. Basically when you top up RM10, you get 10 days validity (basically RM1 per day).
After the 10 days, it goes into inactive mode. Your remaining credit is still there but inactive. It will remain inactive for 90 days, after which your number and credits will be terminated (gone). To make it active again, you need to top up.

So if you go in and top up on average once a month, you can keep the SIM card active. That's why there's a long discussion on which SIM card offers a long validity in this thread.

All the dates, top up, buy data bundle, you can do in the app.

do you need to insert the MY SIM to to top up?

digi very spotty when you just pass jb customs.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not if you're using the app (only initially when you've to receive the PIN to set up the app account), or probably also on their website. Yes, if you want to do it with the USSD code.

What phone are you using your Digi card in?

YouHeypiCanLiao

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not if you're using the app (only initially when you've to receive the PIN to set up the app account), or probably also on their website. Yes, if you want to do it with the USSD code.

What phone are you using your Digi card in?

iphone lor.. but i'm looking at XoX because of the 2 years expiry..not sure of coverage
but Maxis is very good

really_noob

Reaction score

Don't need. I'm on Hotlink, using iPhone. Have internet connection can already since it's on the app.

Here's what I do:
At home, with my M1 SIM card in my phone, using house wifi (M1 4G also can), I use the app to top up RM10 using my SG credit card. This is the part I need my M1 SIM card because of the OTP. Then I press my data bundle on the app.
Once the transaction is done, my Hotlink card is active and have more credits.
After this then change SIM card. I normally change when I'm nearing JB.

The important thing is the SMS OTP if you're using SG credit card which prevents me from changing SIM cards too early.

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
Don't need. I'm on Hotlink, using iPhone. Have internet connection can already since it's on the app.

Here's what I do:
At home, with my M1 SIM card in my phone, using house wifi (M1 4G also can), I use the app to top up RM10 using my SG credit card. This is the part I need my M1 SIM card because of the OTP. Then I press my data bundle on the app.
Once the transaction is done, my Hotlink card is active and have more credits.
After this then change SIM card. I normally change when I'm nearing JB.

The important thing is the SMS OTP if you're using SG credit card which prevents me from changing SIM cards too early.

Can I check with you the minimum top up for Hotlink is RM10? Valid for 10 days?

21Flowers

Reaction score
Question: i often see malaysians seemingly surfing the net seemlessly while travelling across the causeway (tuas, in cw bus), how do they do that?

My hotlink loses MY data connection halfway through the bridge, n my m1, starhub n circles life can't kick in at that point... What data magic is this?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.