Malaysia prepaid card

Downloader

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before but this thread is too long so not sure where to start reading that is still current.

My one and only plan is with Zero1 and they don't have data roaming yet.

I have an S9+ so I can use dual sim.

I need data roaming for use with Android Auto while driving which needs data for navigation and Google Assistant use but they don't consume a lot. I also use Spotify while driving but if the songs were downloaded or played before and thus cached it won't consume much data too. I also want data for WhatsApp and Facebook to remain contactable and other apps that may need data.

In short, I would wish I don't have to change my usage habit in SG to accommodate except not to consume unnecessary video especially HD video. I'm not sure a rough estimate of 500mb/day would be accurate.

What is the best option for me if I need data roaming in JB for a day trip but I don't go frequently? I've never used a prepaid card before so I guess I need:

1) Able to top up before I lose SG local data coverage and thus need to switch to roaming data for uninterrupted use of Android Auto. Otherwise, I'll lose my way. I know there are offline maps and I can run Google Maps offline too but I prefer live traffic updates and hands-free use with Google Assistant which needs data.

2) To know prepaid sim validity period and work around to fit infrequent usage.

3) Cost to achieve the above requirement?

4) Would SG prepaid or MY prepaid card be better?

TIA!

Extech

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before but this thread is too long so not sure where to start reading that is still current.

My one and only plan is with Zero1 and they don't have data roaming yet.

I have an S9+ so I can use dual sim.

I need data roaming for use with Android Auto while driving which needs data for navigation and Google Assistant use but they don't consume a lot. I also use Spotify while driving but if the songs were downloaded or played before and thus cached it won't consume much data too. I also want data for WhatsApp and Facebook to remain contactable and other apps that may need data.

In short, I would wish I don't have to change my usage habit in SG to accommodate except not to consume unnecessary video especially HD video. I'm not sure a rough estimate of 500mb/day would be accurate.

What is the best option for me if I need data roaming in JB for a day trip but I don't go frequently? I've never used a prepaid card before so I guess I need:

1) Able to top up before I lose SG local data coverage and thus need to switch to roaming data for uninterrupted use of Android Auto. Otherwise, I'll lose my way. I know there are offline maps and I can run Google Maps offline too but I prefer live traffic updates and hands-free use with Google Assistant which needs data.

2) To know prepaid sim validity period and work around to fit infrequent usage.

3) Cost to achieve the above requirement?

TIA!

See the following posts to use digi prepaid sim to suit your needs:

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/105695966-post4701.html

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/105438901-post4483.html

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/105692913-post4699.html

SibehHL

Reaction score

TIA!

Can consider Starhub Happy Roam Prepaid; take the $15 card which comes with $18 credit with a few options of data bundle (5 days 15GB local data or 1 month with 1.2GB local data)

Then buy Happy Roam data for $6/GB which is valid for 3 days. Since the $18 credit is valid for 180 days from activation, you are good for another 6 months for traveling elsewhere. Note can use same card when traveling to China, Australia, USA, HK, Thailand, etc etc....

Heard as long as you have a valid data plan, Starhub also provides free outgoing/incoming local Singapore calls on that prepaid account.

Extech

Reaction score
Can consider Starhub Happy Roam Prepaid; take the $15 card which comes with $18 credit with a few options of data bundle (5 days 15GB local data or 1 month with 1.2GB local data)

Then buy Happy Roam data for $6/GB which is valid for 3 days. Since the $18 credit is valid for 180 days from activation, you are good for another 6 months for traveling elsewhere. Note can use same card when traveling to China, Australia, USA, HK, Thailand, etc etc....

Heard as long as you have a valid data plan, Starhub also provides free outgoing/incoming local Singapore calls on that prepaid account.

Downloader gorgor, you if you want a cheaper version can consider getting the World SIM Card YUNYOBO. You can buy on qoo10 or lazada. Basically the sim card has no expiry, but you just need to buy the package for it. Got over 77 countries with very reasonable rates. Malaysia is $3/1GB for a day.

steven168z

Master Member
Reaction score
Downloader gorgor, you if you want a cheaper version can consider getting the World SIM Card YUNYOBO. You can buy on qoo10 or lazada. Basically the sim card has no expiry, but you just need to buy the package for it. Got over 77 countries with very reasonable rates. Malaysia is $3/1GB for a day.

RM $3/1GB ???

tortoise18

Banned
Reaction score
Onexox from carousell. The person register need ur passport number and othrr details. Safe to give or not

Extremme

Master Member
Reaction score
Onexox from carousell. The person register need ur passport number and othrr details. Safe to give or not

That’s what I did but it’s much more expensive than purchasing directly in Malaysia. You are paying for convenience sake

ngansolo

Reaction score
sorry genting highland got OneXOx shop??? I be stopping at yong peng and digi sucks sia, go anywhere become 3g or H+

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry genting highland got OneXOx shop??? I be stopping at yong peng and digi sucks sia, go anywhere become 3g or H+

I've been using Digi over my past many trips, all the way to Selangor, Batu Pahat and JB malls, no issues surfing so far.

I don't normally go look at the network icon unless there's a lag, but so far no issue. (Phone: Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro)

Instead, it's the other night in Kulai that my OneXOX (in Galaxy Note9) refused to load.

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've been using Digi over my past many trips, all the way to Selangor, Batu Pahat and JB malls, no issues surfing so far.

I don't normally go look at the network icon unless there's a lag, but so far no issue. (Phone: Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro)

Instead, it's the other night in Kulai that my OneXOX (in Galaxy Note9) refused to load.

Recently gotten my DIGI LIVE at Malacca and it served me well throughout the journey. :)

blue00

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, I bringing my kids to ksl for 4 days stay, yes I cheapo cos no $$, which sim card do I buy so I can make calls in jb n have data network as I intend to use their grab service.

Thks for reading, appreciate if any proper advise

Last edited:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all, I bringing my kids to ksl for 4 days stay, yes I cheapo cos no $$, which sim card do I buy so I can make calls in jb n have data network as I intend to use their grab service.

Thks for reading, appreciate if any proper advise
Staying at KSL, want to use Grab... means going via Woodlands? See this, from the previous page...

Go to JBCC. Find the mynews convenient store. It’s like a 7-11 kinda store, and look at their choices of prepaid cards and choose the one you prefer. Once, I was there to buy tunetalk 2rn, and also happen to see Digi and hotlink. All at rrp.

Daffy7

Reaction score
Good afternoon all, anywhere in JB can I get rm8 Digi pre paid card? Most Digi shops is trying to sell me between rm38-40.

sendtolee

Reaction score

My experience is not as good as yours.
Digi network is very slow even in city like Penang, JB....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.