Malaysia prepaid card

tiertime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear gents / ladies,

Happy new year.

I visit msia every other month.

Which prepaid card do you recommend me to buy which has very long expiry date so that I won't have to keep buying a new pre paid card whenever I enter msia?

more or less the same.. rather than long expiry, maybe can consider get one with good coverage, i am using Digi and it serves me well

Downloader

Reaction score
In short, is Digi saying that your credit balance expired when your line became inactive (went into its grace period), therefore you cannot use it to reactivate it?

If so, I can only think that they seem to have come up with another sudden change...

Have you thought of posting on their community forum to see what they say there? If there's a change, pretty sure the rest of the Digi members will be interested to know too.

That is exactly what I told them in the chat as well as the follow up email that our community would want to know why. However instead of replying to my email, they send sms: "
RM0: Hi. Please reload your account before 15-02-2019 in order to remain active with Digi. For further checking, please contact us via Live Chat or Digi Helpline at 0162211800. Thanks." They ignore the fact I cannot even reload. Also if RM10 reload credits only last 10 days then no point at all staying with them.

If it's some kind of error or confusion, the onus is on them to clear it up but that's all I get for now.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I told them in the chat as well as the follow up email that our community would want to know why. However instead of replying to my email, they send sms: "
RM0: Hi. Please reload your account before 15-02-2019 in order to remain active with Digi. For further checking, please contact us via Live Chat or Digi Helpline at 0162211800. Thanks." They ignore the fact I cannot even reload. Also if RM10 reload credits only last 10 days then no point at all staying with them.

If it's some kind of error or confusion, the onus is on them to clear it up but that's all I get for now.

I'm thinking if you post on their community forum, there might be someone who'll pick it up and help to check/clarify with the staff if any vague answer is given.

I once asked a question and got a "standard answer" which didn't give me anything close to what I wanted to know. Then another member chipped in to say that's not what I was asking about and things got clarified.

Better an open forum then a 1-to-1 where there's no one else to help you? Just my thought. :)

boonkang

Reaction score
...Digi: I must reload and extend by 14 Feb 2018.

Me: Thinking to myself goal post shifted to 14 Feb 2018? Must extend yes but reload even when I have sufficient credit to extend for 1 day to get another 90 day grace? I only need to reload when I have insufficient credit.

Digi: The days shown for each reload amount is the credit validity period.

Me: Shouldn't it be the active period instead?

So I was asked to send email with screenshots of the app and ussd message and now awaiting answers.

Everything that was said is different from what I've read from Digi official and community pages as well as advise from here. Otherwise, need to look for a more suitable sim for infrequent traveller such as myself that needs uninterrupted data connection for navigation across the causeway.

The last time I extend validity on my Digi prepaid (under inactive/grace period) -- by buying RM1 SLL -- was on 2019-01-31.

Yes, that means the last time I bought RM1 SLL on my Digi prepaid was less than 2 weeks ago.

Today (2019-02-13) I just tried accessing USSD *128# on my Digi prepaid; I can select option 1 without any error -- and can proceed to the next step where I was asked to confirm if I want to buy RM1 SLL :)

Based on the above, there doesn't seems to be any change on telco Digi side -- pertaining to buying RM1 SLL (to extend validity).

FYI,
There was once I read on Digi forums that when buying Digi prepaid SLL, you must have at least RM0.01 in your balance AFTER the Digi prepaid SLL is purchased.

If the above is true, that means:

If you wish to buy RM1 SLL on your Digi prepaid -- you must have at least RM1.01 in your Digi prepaid balance BEFORE you can proceed to buy the RM1 SLL.

So if your current Digi prepaid balance is EXACTLY RM1.00 -- then you actually have "insufficient" funds in your Digi prepaid balance to buy the RM1 SLL.

I cannot confirm this -- because personally I've never encounter having EXACTLY only RM1.00 balance in my Digi prepaid at the point in time I need to buy RM1 SLL.

@Downloader

Is the current balance in your Digi prepaid exactly RM1.00 ?

If yes, your case may simply be a case of "insufficient" funds in your Digi prepaid balance when trying to buy the Digi (RM1) SLL.

If this is the case, then it's a just matter of happpen to do doing things at the boundary / limits -- leading to "unexpected" error(s) occurring causing confusion.

The good news is that we know your Digi prepaid is not terminated & still in inactive/grace period (till 14/2).

You can always extend validity on your Digi prepaid by doing a top up / reload of any amount (RM5 / RM10 etc.)

This is quite easy -- because there are different channels / methods to do reload for M'sia prepaid -- including Digi prepaid.

Last edited:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FYI,
There was once I read on Digi forums that when buying Digi prepaid SLL, you must have at least RM0.01 in your balance AFTER the Digi prepaid SLL is purchased.

Oh yes, now that you've mentioned it, credit balance has to be above the cost of the SLL. :)

Downloader

Reaction score
FYI,

So this was also only just mentioned by another Live Chat CSO, Anna. However, I'm unable to verify if this is true because the min reload in the app is RM10 which I successfully did so after I entered my email address. I missed the need to enter email before the button can be selected (they did not point that out even when told the button is greyed out) probably because my mind was confused by other more serious inconsistent and contradicting explanation by both Thava (1st Live Chat CSO before I email them) and Anna why my RM1 balance expired as shown in the notification. Their explanation makes no sense thus reloading was secondary in my mind.

I believe they use the word expire too loosely because both said MANY times the credit will expire once enter inactive period. They also said the only way to reactivate is to reload. This completely make no sense because then we need to reload just to purchase SSL which is only possible to purchase when inactive and this is even if we have credit but according to them would have been expired when inactive???!!! It was only after much pointing to the contradiction that Anna said "credit expire except to purchase SSL" (still insisted to use the word expire but then even the app notification use the word balance expired). This is obvious because inactive line cannot purchase other services. Expire in this case gives the idea the credit is gone for good.

Anna also said once I reload, the RM1 will still be there. But dadadada :s13:, this is not true as I only have RM10.43 credit after I reloaded RM10. Suppose to have bonus RM0.50 thus reload is worth RM10.50 but not sure where the 0.07 gone but that's not important. What is worrying, but perhaps not to some of you who never encounter this and thus will never think this might happened is what if the next time the same **** happened again because the remaining credit now is RM9.43 after purchasing RM1 SSL. If this is the case, then it makes no sense to maintain a line like this for infrequent user because the credit will expire even before I had a chance to use again (another incurrate explanation given by Thava which I have to use my own words and explanation to extract correction from Anna because she was also going around in circles). I had extended the first time during inactive period without reload as the credit didn't expire then. If it's really due to needing balance after RM1 SSL i.e. RM1.01 the app should mentioned it but that does not explain the RM1 balance expiry and disappearance so still a mystery until next time...

You can always extend validity on your Digi prepaid by doing a top up / reload of any amount (RM5 / RM10 etc.)

This is quite easy -- because there are different channels / methods to do reload for M'sia prepaid -- including Digi prepaid.

RM5 reload can get locally or online?

boonkang

Reaction score
RM5 reload can get locally or online?

To make things simple...
If you want to do top up / reload of your Digi prepaid anytime while at home in Singapore -- there are basically two (2) main methods:

(1) Online top up / reload at various Websites that offer M'sia prepaid reload OR use the MyDigi app.
(2) Purchase / Buy & keep some prepaid reload coupons or prepaid reload pin.

(1) Online top up/ reload

You can do online reload of your Digi prepaid via:
(1a) The MyDigi app

(1b) Websites that offer reload for Digi prepaid like:
* 11street: https://www.11street.my/category/e-vouchers-top-up/mobile-top-up/digi-reload/5432
* Qoo10 M'sia: https://www.qoo10.my/shop/qoo10_topup
* E-Pay M'sia: https://www.e-pay.com.my/

Above 11street Website link has Digi RM5 reload option.

These Websites listed above have all been mentioned before in this thread.
There may be many more other Websites that also offer reload for Digi prepaid -- but these are the few that I can remember off hand.

(2) Use prepaid reload coupon or prepaid reload pin

(2a) Examples of M'sia prepaid reload coupons for different telcos:
9edd.jpg

RM5 Digi prepaid reload coupons are available. See:
72a0de5f258cea50d2ae5c40de14cdb9.png

(2b) Example of M'sia prepaid reload pin:
DSC06494.jpg

(2a) can be purchased at many locations in M'sia while you can buy (2b) easily from any M'sia convenient store.

Both (2a) & (2b) you can buy to keep. Anytime in the future you need to do reload for your M'sia prepaid card -- then just bring out & use.

Personally, I prefer to do reload via method (2) instead of method (1).

By always keeping some (2a) or (2b), you can also help friends/colleagues/relatives do reload of their M'sia prepaid at ANYTIME ANYWHERE -- even without Internet access :)

The only thing you need to take note if you buy & keep (2a) & (2b) is that there's expiry date -- just make sure you use any (2a) or (2b) you have -- BEFORE the expiry date.

Last edited:

Downloader

Reaction score
@boonkang,

Thank you for your generous sharing.

Just an update in case it helps for others if ever encounter same issues.

I stand corrected because the RM10 reload comes with 6% SST applied thus RM9.40 + RM1 balance = RM10.40.

Honestly couldn't be bothered with the discrepancies of RM0.3 or even the initial RM1 balance but was made to look bad like I was counting cents, moreover RM lol.

Something so simple made complicated. All these stem from CSO who are not trained to know their product well and simply reading from the system that is also to be blamed for using the word "expiry/expired" loosely. Even the sms that I just received after I reloaded mention credit will expire on 23/03/2019 i.e. only 10 days :s8: when it should only expire after grace period. Ditto for the app notification.

I'll be surprised if not more encountered the same issue because the way I see it, it can happen easily being RM8 sim come with RM5 credit and subsequent spent of whole number i.e. RM1, RM2, RM3 etc could easily reach RM1 credit balance that is deemed insufficient to purchase anything that is RM1 i.e. need at least RM1.01 but no mention of this requirement in the app. No reason to reload early for infrequent users and since not going to use the line but need to purchase RM1 SSL to extend grace period then the same issue will happen. Only after the first reload where cents is introduced into the credit balance would this not happen i.e. would obviously top up first if purchase exceed credit balance.

After this experience, I can say the old birds here knows their products better than their CSO and for that I appreciate your advices very much.

Last edited:

beary2teddy

Reaction score
Why are so many people mentioning digi best? I can’t find it on the website, only digi live

And I also see some mentions of hotlink, which is better digi or hotlink?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why are so many people mentioning digi best? I can’t find it on the website, only digi live

They don't sell Digi Best packs anymore, at least not at the dealer shops. Even the Digi Stores only display Digi Live packs. However, I was told there's an option for users to change from Digi Live to Digi Best on the app or via USSD codes.

Which is better depends on your own needs and expectations, but I'd say there're more Digi than Hotlink users here.

aquanark

Reaction score
@boonkang

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

1 question, say I top-up RM1 or RM10 on the digi live prepaid before 90days grace period expired.

What will be the data available for me to use? will it be 300Mb for next 7days? or ?

aquanark

Reaction score
Tune Talk's new Value Prepaid plan Jan 2019

Gents / Ladies,

FYI. Tunetalk recently launched a new value prepaid plan in Jan 2019.

RM100 for 1 year validity.
For people who don't want to keep topping up every 90days.

But I'm not sure what's the min. amount to top up to reset the grace period?
Understood for digi live, top up RM1 and the grace period of 90days resets again.

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@boonkang

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

1 question, say I top-up RM1 or RM10 on the digi live prepaid before 90days grace period expired.

What will be the data available for me to use? will it be 300Mb for next 7days? or ?

Min top up is RM5 and ONLY new SIM will bundled with this 300Mb for 7days.

Every top up will not get any free data; it is just to make your mobile line active again which will allow you to make call and buy data package.

As long as your mobile line is active, you can get a better offer from "Box Of Surprise" on DIGI mobile app; something like 1GB/RM1 per day OR 3GB/RM4 for 5days etc depends on DIGI promotions.

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gents / Ladies,

FYI. Tunetalk recently launched a new value prepaid plan in Jan 2019.

RM100 for 1 year validity.
For people who don't want to keep topping up every 90days.

But I'm not sure what's the min. amount to top up to reset the grace period?
Understood for digi live, top up RM1 and the grace period of 90days resets again.

Tune Talk's grace period is 45 days after expiry of validity.

Again it is not top up RM1, you will use RM1 from your credit balance to purchase the 1 day validity, this can be done via their DIGI mobile app.

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score

I'm on hotlink. Happy with what I've got so far. I go in once a month on average, or at least once every two months. So the part about the card going inactive and subsequently expire unless you top up doesn't really bother me, I just monitor. Even if I don't go, my family member will go and will borrow my SIM card, since it's cheaper than the SG prepaid card for day trips.

I checked out Digi and I told the guy mine is mostly day trips. He said Digi doesn't have one day package, so he send me over to his competitor, Maxis. He even pointed out the Maxis store to me! I was a bit shocked because you won't get such things in SG - like a Starhub staff telling you they don't have what you want, go to Singtel and see.

The Maxis girl was not bad, explained to me how everything works regarding the inactive and expiry, help me to download the app, top up etc. I used to top up on the app using my SG credit card RM10 each time, then realise a bit wasteful because I only spend RM3 out of the RM10 and suffer credit card exchange rates.
So I just buy the RM5 voucher from those convenience store, before going in then activate again.

Best part with Hotlink (I dunno about the others) is you get ASEAN Roaming at RM10 per day max. Great for trips to Indonesia and Bangkok. Our local telcos data roaming plans really CMI.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm on hotlink. Happy with what I've got so far. I go in once a month on average, or at least once every two months. So the part about the card going inactive and subsequently expire unless you top up doesn't really bother me, I just monitor. Even if I don't go, my family member will go and will borrow my SIM card, since it's cheaper than the SG prepaid card for day trips.

Best part with Hotlink (I dunno about the others) is you get ASEAN Roaming at RM10 per day max. Great for trips to Indonesia and Bangkok. Our local telcos data roaming plans really CMI.

If you've the old (no longer being offered) Hotlink FAST plan, you'd have free data access every weekend, 1GB for Saturday and 1GB for Sunday. :)

Anyway, here are the data pack rates from Digi - https://new.digi.com.my/prepaid-addons#Internet-Cili-Padi, but as mentioned by another member above, more offers can be found from the BOS (Box of Surprise).

As for roaming, friends and I normally use either Hotlink's RM10 1GB/day or Digi's RM25 2GB/3 days which also comes with 30 mins.

Digi's International Roaming Pass - https://new.digi.com.my/roaming/roaming-pass

RyuShinEX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i wonder if anyone is selling the FAST plan? no expiry for the free weekend?

If you've the old (no longer being offered) Hotlink FAST plan, you'd have free data access every weekend, 1GB for Saturday and 1GB for Sunday. :)

Anyway, here are the data pack rates from Digi - https://new.digi.com.my/prepaid-addons#Internet-Cili-Padi, but as mentioned by another member above, more offers can be found from the BOS (Box of Surprise).

As for roaming, friends and I normally use either Hotlink's RM10 1GB/day or Digi's RM25 2GB/3 days which also comes with 30 mins.

Digi's International Roaming Pass - https://new.digi.com.my/roaming/roaming-pass

21Flowers

Reaction score

I checked out Digi and I told the guy mine is mostly day trips. He said Digi doesn't have one day package, so he send me over to his competitor, Maxis. He even pointed out the Maxis store to me! I was a bit shocked because you won't get such things in SG - like a Starhub staff telling you they don't have what you want, go to Singtel and see.

The Maxis girl was not bad, explained to me how everything works regarding the inactive and expiry, help me to download the app, top up etc. I used to top up on the app using my SG credit card RM10 each time, then realise a bit wasteful because I only spend RM3 out of the RM10 and suffer credit card exchange rates.
So I just buy the RM5 voucher from those convenience store, before going in then activate again.

Hotlink user here too. The customer service is really gd, recently ported stored value from my old FAST plan number to my new plan number, the guy was really fast, efficient and friendly.

Totally didn't know about the ASEAN Roaming, thanks for the tip off~!

If you think about it, just topping up the daily pass 3RM for 2GB everyday, you'll get 60GB for 90RM (30SGDapprox), that's really insane...

21Flowers

Reaction score
@really_noob I tried looking around in the hotlink red app, but can't find any ASEAN roaming option, how to activate it?

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.