Manchester United - Theatre of Dreams - Part 38

jahtl62

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jack Butland was the first to arrive with Ten Hag needing a new back-up goalkeeper after Newcastle recalled Martin Dubravka. It is difficult to look too much into the position of second-choice keeper given they are so rarely called upon but the Englishman is a solid presence and unlikely to let anyone down when he does pick up the gloves.

It is from here that United’s business gets more exciting with key players signed to take on important roles over the rest of the season. Wout Weghorst was the second player to arrive as a short-term replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Dutchman’s arrival initially raised eyebrows given his poor six-month spell at Burnley last season however it is a signing that makes more sense when looked at closer. Weghorst is deceptively good at pressing despite his 6’6ft frame and fits the way Ten Hag would like to play.

He is also very low risk given he is not contracted beyond the end of the season when the club can go after a high-profile long-term option. Furthermore, he is likely to spend most of his stint at the club as second choice with Anthony Martial above him in the pecking order when fully fit.

Weghorst has already started to repay the faith shown in him by Ten Hag, scoring his first goal for the club in the League Cup semi-final win over Nottingham Forest and he will hope to add to his tally in the coming games.

Marcel Sabitzer was the player the club ended up settling on. The Austrian was confirmed in the final hours of deadline day after arriving from Bayern Munich on loan until the end of the season. It remains to be seen what impact he will have but he fills a position that the club desperately need to strengthen given their injury troubles and is a big name to have come in on deadline day.

Overall, United’s transfer window can be considered to be something of a success with Ten Hag making the most of limited funds to make useful additions to his squad.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ag-Jack-Butland-Wout-Weghorst-Marcel-Sabitzer
Ten Hag will only sign players he knows, players that suits his system & players who are able to press.

jahtl62

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
According to Romano, Chelsea were never in for Sabitzer, despite some links yesterday before the Austria international eventually completed his loan move from Bayern Munich to Man Utd.

And while this deal was rather out of the blue and linked to Christian Eriksen’s injury, United manager Erik ten Hag has supposedly been a fan of Sabitzer for some time.

Romano generally praised this as a smart loan signing for the Red Devils, and fans are sure to be glad that the club reacted quickly to the blow of losing Eriksen to injury for much of the second half of the season.

“Manchester United were not planning for any move before the Christian Eriksen injury. It changed on Deadline Day after medical check for Eriksen,” Romano said.

“Erik ten Hag has always appreciated Marcel Sabitzer, thinks he’s an underrated player. I think on loan it’s a very smart signing.”

He added: “Despite reports, Chelsea never opened talks for Sabitzer.”

Sabitzer never quite got going for Bayern but was previously an exciting talent at his former club RB Leipzig, so it will be interesting to see if he can revive his career at Old Trafford.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/...ester-united-loan-transfer-and-chelsea-links/

jahtl62

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Rio Ferdinand has hailed Manchester United 's recruitment team after they acted quick to bring in Marcel Sabitzer.

The switch therefore suited all parties and was completed late in the day. Sabitzer has previously been a key cog for RB Leipzig - masterminding victories over the Red Devils. Ferdinand is adamant that the club got the best player possible given the time scale they were working on.

He said on his Vibe with Five YouTube channel: "I'm absolutely delighted. If I was going to say I'm going to get a short-term replacement for Eriksen at the drop of the hat, Sabitzer is the player you'd want. I watched a hell of a lot of this player at Leipzig when he was in the Champions League and he was integral to everything they've done. Yes he's gone to Bayern and he's not become a regular, but he's behind household names.

"He will be a really good signing, really experienced player, played in big games, play in the Champions League regularly, he knows his way around the football pitch. For what Man Utd need in this short window, when they needed a player, they couldn't have done better I don't think - so well done to the recruitment team."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rio-ferdinand-manutd-sabitzer-verdict-29101536
The recruitment team done well because Ten Hag selected the player he wanted to sign & the recruitment team got the deal done.

jahtl62

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chelsea spent £300 million signing 7 players in january. Total spending for this season over £500 million. When you spent this big amount you are expected to win the Premier league title & Champions League. Otherwise it will be considered as an underperforming team.

cracker

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

jahtl62

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which brought to wonder where are the so called experts hired by Ralf during his time at OT.
once was a considered a top notch video analyst... the other was that assistance coach from US...
The assistant coach joined Leeds.

jahtl62

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Man Utd legend Rio Ferdinand says Paul Merson’s comments about the signing of Marcel Sabitzer “stink of someone who hasn’t seen him play”

And Merson claimed yesterday that Sabitzer is a “fourth rate” Bayern Munich player and insists that Man Utd have made a “panic” buy.

“He doesn’t get in the Bayern Munich team, he’s way off that,” Merson told Sky Sports. “I know the two in midfield are cemented but if he was that good, he’d be pushing.

“Again it goes back to panic. There was no interest in him on January 1, now it’s a panic, Eriksen’s just got injured and it’s a panic and you’re bringing fourth rate Bayern Munich players in. For me, I’m not sure about that.

“This lad wasn’t on the radar before, he doesn’t get in the Bayern Munich team. If I’m a Manchester United fan I’d be looking and thinking he’s not in their first team so why would we want him in our team. Are there players there already who are better than him?”

https://www.football365.com/news/ferdinand-slams-merson-man-utd-panic-buy-sabitzer-chump-claim
Marcel Sabitzer getting negative comments from Paul Merson when he didn't even start playing.

Juan_Mata

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nottingham v Man Utd

-

Weghorst

Rashford Bruno(c) Anthony

Eriksen Casemiro

Malacia Martinez Varane Bissaka

De Gea

lwt11137

Master Member
Reaction score
Rashford and Sancho on the Bench ......
  • Man United starting XI: Heaton, Wan-Bissaka, Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Casemiro, Fred, Antony, Fernandes, Garnacho, Weghorst
  • Subs: De Gea, Lindelof, Maguire, Malacia, Mainoo, Pellistri, Martial, Rashford, Sancho

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.