[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

Jun Jun

Reaction score
Hi, I was also facing this issue. Both connection drops, my parents was connecting to powerline, while I connected to 5ghz, my sisters using the 2.4ghz. At random times, we would get disconnected randomly, and connect back after a while. My parents on the powerline was worse, they can't even connect back. I RMA the set the 2nd time. The first set was on 3341, second was on 2345 but it was more stable, so far these few day was ok. Btw, both routers came with some scratches, is the sets refurbished or brand new. Kind of skeptical when the say the set was brand new and there is some scratches.

Image of the scratches or mark of my second router: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B04Wuqde9us1WGNBWVN6Ukp3VUU

Btw, this is 2015 batch, came without static wrap. I questioned the person, they told me they took some stocks from challenger, because I also notice the box have a dirty sticker tag which belongs to challenger.

Anyone can confirm whether Avertek gives new or refurbished router? My router bought around a month only:(

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone can confirm whether Avertek gives new or refurbished router? My router bought around a month only:(

Previous brand new set, not working
Now "suspected" not brand new, working

You know what, given what you been going through, I would take the "suspected" not brand new set which is working.

Jun Jun

Reaction score

You know what, given what you been going through, I would take the "suspected" not brand new set which is working.

I would continue to monitor. So far it has given me same problems during the first two
days, after which a reboot solved it and works for a week, just that at some time it lags. Would continue to observe, but cannot confirm whether router is brand new or refurb?

Jun Jun

Reaction score

For me, same thing. Would prefer a stable router. Of course if it is brand new it is a plus point;)I mean I pay 400 bucks for this. Who does not want it to be new?:)

Last edited:

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
Haha, you might want to get it replace at avertek. Tell them the issue you are facing. But I cannot guarantee they would give you a new one lol even they said it is new:p Btw, you might want to stay at 2345, the one before 3341. Tell the guy and he will flash it for you. So far no issues for the past one week, and two days without rebooting. Still monitoring.

Can we flash backwards from 3341 to 2345? Seems 2345 is rock solid stable?. I had no issues with the stock firmware that came with my router, which could be 2345

tt88

Reaction score
Can we flash backwards from 3341 to 2345? Seems 2345 is rock solid stable?. I had no issues with the stock firmware that came with my router, which could be 2345

If flash backward, I would recommend 1354 instead. I saw this firmware in my friend's router which have no much issue so far!

Jun Jun

Reaction score

Stock firmware is the one printed on the box, it is not 2345. 2345 is the previous latest firmware before 3341.

Jun Jun

Reaction score

There is no way, I repeat. No way to flash back after 3341.Refer to asus website for more info.You can try avertek if you have serioud problem with your router.

Last edited:

Jun Jun

Reaction score
Btw guys, anyone of you on 2345 firmware experiencing 500mbps download, 800+ upload?I tried to reset, and speed from wired went back to 900+ for dl and ul. Then plunges down again for both my laptops.

Jun Jun

Reaction score
Btw guys, anyone of you on 2345 firmware experiencing 500mbps download, 800+ upload?I tried to reset, and speed from wired went back to 900+ for dl and ul. Then plunges down again for both my laptops.

My previous sets was only unstable, but have nothing like this.

kuronie

Reaction score
May i know which merlin firmware is the most stable as for now?

twist_shout

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i am currently on VQ 1Gbps plan and jus got the RT-AC88U router. what is the optimum settings for 2.4 and 5GHz?

i am only getting 100 ~ 200+ Mpbs on my iphone6 on 5GHz. tested using speedtest right in front of the router.

can anyone help?

jackycar

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i am currently on VQ 1Gbps plan and jus got the RT-AC88U router. what is the optimum settings for 2.4 and 5GHz?

i am only getting 100 ~ 200+ Mpbs on my iphone6 on 5GHz. tested using speedtest right in front of the router.

can anyone help?

That is already ideal for wifi. 😑.. Tell me why would u need more than 100 to 200mbps for an iPhone? Update apps in 5 seconds compared to 6?

If u want to utilise 1gbps u need to connect via LAN cable.

dodongdodong

Master Member
Reaction score
That is already ideal for wifi. 😑.. Tell me why would u need more than 100 to 200mbps for an iPhone? Update apps in 5 seconds compared to 6?

If u want to utilise 1gbps u need to connect via LAN cable.

how to connect iPhone to a LAN cable?

radioshack

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to OT abit..

but if i am just a normal home user and i dun game much..should i get the RT-AC88U or the AC68U?

My logic is since i am getting a new router might as well get the latest..

or should i just save the 100 bucks and get the ac68u?

Jun Jun

Reaction score
Sorry to OT abit..

but if i am just a normal home user and i dun game much..should i get the RT-AC88U or the AC68U?

You can get the 88u for future proof, 68u is sufficient for now, but future I don't know.Technology is always advancing you know, so you decide:)

Jun Jun

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

can anyone help?

Ok, under wifi tab set the channel bandwidth or something to 40 mhz for 2.4ghz, 80 mhz for the 5ghz to get maximum speed:)

wazaguy

Reaction score
Sorry to OT abit..

I share the same view with Jun Jun.

But do u need to use more then 4 port?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.