[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol... not as if I have 200 wireless devices at home to utilise all 3 bands..

Okay. I shall eye on ac88u..

Brother actually I struggling with this thoughts too.... Like you I am already AC3200... With 4 mobile 3 laptops (at most 2 at a time). Plus a IPad . All separate into 2 x 5ghz band perfectly no issue .

If I dump AC3200 and go AC5300... Other than a new shape ...

What I gain at the remote devices ? Like nothing to see leh...

Liao lui right ???

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Brother actually I struggling with this thoughts too.... Like you I am already AC3200... With 4 mobile 3 laptops (at most 2 at a time). Plus a IPad . All separate into 2 x 5ghz band perfectly no issue .

If I dump AC3200 and go AC5300... Other than a new shape ...

What I gain at the remote devices ? Like nothing to see leh...

Liao lui right ???

Yeah.. sibeh liao lui.. hahas..

If I keep my ac3200, I will save alot of money..

To me, if I don't change my wireless devices, ac88u or ac5300 will only function the same as ac3200, apart from the WTFast feature..

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. sibeh liao lui.. hahas..

If I keep my ac3200, I will save alot of money..

To me, if I don't change my wireless devices, ac88u or ac5300 will only function the same as ac3200, apart from the WTFast feature..

You game ? Else the WTF.uc.k feature useless....

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ac5300 also got 1.4Ghz I think.. hahas.

I guess the main selling point in the better wireless chipset and WTFast GPN..
Now 1Ghz CPU for me also no lag issue leh ........ zero complain uptime 60> days last before I power cycle to clean dust .........:D

Getting harder to justify a change ..........

Last edited:

phayze

Master Member
Reaction score
Lol. Experience faster router first then u will know your one is slower.

Now 1Ghz CPU for me also no lag issue leh ........ zero complain uptime 60> days last before I power cycle to clean dust .........:D

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score

Better than before USB 3.0 performance to the portable Samsung 1TB T1 SSD lor ;) :D

Can BT until you shiok shiok :eek: :D

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score

Alternatively, sign another Fiber Internet plan and hoot the ASUS AC5300 ;)

So now you will have 2x 2.4GHz (can set non-lapping channels 1/6/11) and 4x 5GHz :eek: (2x lower 5GHz and 2x upper 5GHz)

Shiok until can't shiok anymore :s13:

Something like this ;)

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok I give up the idea of X5300 .... since I am now running TPLink AC2600 and Asus AC3200 liao ...

Shall connect up my AC2600 antenna and use it to support my mobile............ which is MU MIMU ready + 1.4Ghz Dual core also...

guards80

Reaction score
anyone buy and tested? how was the performance? got better coverage then ac87u?

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
The man has spoken :D ;)

Now that the official release firmware is out (and the confidentiality request is lifted), I did a few basic speed tests. Performance is still as surprisingly high as experienced with the beta driver.

The laptop is a Thinkpad Yoga 15, with an Intel 7265AC. I'm sitting about 3-4 meters away from the router. The NAS is connected over Gigabit Ethernet, same with the Desktop.

Lanbench 1.1, four connections. Server is on the desktop, client on the laptop. Laptop link rate is typically 866 Mbps (with previous routers it would fluctuate between 760 and 866).

Previous routers (RT-AC68U and RT-AC87U): throughput is around 320-350 Mbps.
RT-AC88: 550 Mbps...

File copy between the laptop and the NAS (unfortunately I never noted down the performance I used to get with my previous routers). This is a 2 GB file I'm copying between the two.
RT-AC88U: 55 MB/s from laptop to NAS, 70 MB/s from NAS to laptop. Pretty sure it's higher than what I was experiencing before switching router.

So I'm not sure what kind of voodoo Broadcom has done with this new chipset/SDK, but throughput results are through the roof for me, when combined with the Intel card (I don't have anything else to really test it, my only other high speed wireless devices are my N9 and my N5X).

Will be interesting to see more rigorous testings done by reviewer to see if the same tendency can also be measured on their end.

From ~> http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac88u.27704/page-4#post-216198

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.