[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

Jun Jun

Reaction score
Tp link 4226 kit with the latesr firmware. Was a trusted powerplug. Previously on singtel router no such issue.Btw, my issue is intermittent means no internet connection but internet comes back after a while or sometimes might not even come back. Checked with singtel, because so far nobody has this issue yet, and to make it worse my digital line had wrong timing on my dect phone. Confirmed with singtel and could all be the same issue. I will monitor for a few days and let you guys know. Thanks peeps! Update: they fixed my timing. Currently monitoring my internet connection.
what homeplugs/repeaters are you using?

engshing

Master Member
Reaction score
i am thinking of upgrading my current router Aztech 7003 to either Asus RT AC88u or AC5300.

Problem with my current router is that the signal in the masterbedroom is very weak. Will changing to either AC88U or AC5300 improve the range?

Or do i need another solution instead like a repeater or AP

dodongdodong

Master Member
Reaction score
i am thinking of upgrading my current router Aztech 7003 to either Asus RT AC88u or AC5300.

Problem with my current router is that the signal in the masterbedroom is very weak. Will changing to either AC88U or AC5300 improve the range?

Where did you placed the router?

ckh98258

Reaction score
I'm currently on Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3341 and I'm experiencing router denied my request when trying to change to Merlin firmware or downgrade to older version of Asus firmware.

Anyone experiencing this or I'm the only one here?

Jun Jun

Reaction score
I'm currently on Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3341 and I'm experiencing router denied my request when trying to change to Merlin firmware or downgrade to older version of Asus firmware.

Anyone experiencing this or I'm the only one here?

Hi, notice in Asus website, this particular firmware does not allow firmware upgrade or restore? Basically, this latest update restricts any third party firmware or firmware downgrade, so unfortuntely to say :( Btw, I experienced this and because my router is experiencing drop issues, which previously singtel router does not, I have sent my router to Avertek for a replacement and they flashed the firmware before .3341 , issues still not solve:(

Jun Jun

Reaction score
it is actually quite near the rooms (~5m away) but due to walls and doors, the signal is weak.

Did you experience this with other routers before at the same location, or particularly this model? And did you shift house?Because newer BTO, I understand most of us like to place it near TV console near the window, however for my house there is a corridor, so signal is pretty much blocked if you place your router there. As such, either shift the router near the corridor, or install powerline/ wifi kit can rectify your issue. Btw, if you choose to use powerline, becareful because notice those older models only come with 10/100 mbps speed ethernet port? This means maximum speed you can get through wired is 100. Wireless is even lower. Don't believe me? Try to off your Asus rt88U wifi mode and use just the powerline's wifi and do a speedtest. You however, can get the new version of tp-link powerline which has dualband and 10/100/1000 which has the gigabit port, so you would get to enjoy speed closer to what you signed up for. Lastly, if you choose to install powerline, be sure that your house circuit is linked, because if not your powerline cannot work. This you can refer to your house's master plan or by switching the master switch off and see if every appliance in the houses is off. Btw, getting a Asus Rt5300/ 88U may or may not solve your issue due to the number of concrete walls you have mainly.:s13:

Jun Jun

Reaction score

An Ac88u/ 5300 would have higher speed wifi, hence the bottleneck issue on speed would not be the router but would be your device itself, because currently our wifi client is 2x2 or 1x1, so maximum theoretical speed you can get is 433/866mbps depending on your device. Wifi range may increase 1- a few bars but like I said it depends on the the obstructions in your house.

pinky867

Reaction score
Hi Pinky867,

After ASUS TW's initial investigation, the ASUS RT-AC88 LAN5-8 ceased to function while operating in AP mode is looking to be a bug.

ASUS TW looking into how to resolve it and i will update you again once i have information from them.

Thanks for the update, Maylyn.

I've contacted ASUS SG and they told me they never encounter such problem before, ask me send in for service or 1 to 1 exchange if cannot fix.

I finally send back to my ISP and did a 1 to 1 exchanged.
Tested and every port work. I don't know if it will act up again.
Finger crossed.

engshing

Master Member
Reaction score
Did you experience this with other routers before at the same location, or particularly this model? And did you shift house?Because newer BTO, I understand most of us like to place it near TV console near the window, however for my house there is a corridor, so signal is pretty much blocked if you place your router there. As such, either shift the router near the corridor, or install powerline/ wifi kit can rectify your issue. Btw, if you choose to use powerline, becareful because notice those older models only come with 10/100 mbps speed ethernet port? This means maximum speed you can get through wired is 100. Wireless is even lower. Don't believe me? Try to off your Asus rt88U wifi mode and use just the powerline's wifi and do a speedtest. You however, can get the new version of tp-link powerline which has dualband and 10/100/1000 which has the gigabit port, so you would get to enjoy speed closer to what you signed up for. Lastly, if you choose to install powerline, be sure that your house circuit is linked, because if not your powerline cannot work. This you can refer to your house's master plan or by switching the master switch off and see if every appliance in the houses is off. Btw, getting a Asus Rt5300/ 88U may or may not solve your issue due to the number of concrete walls you have mainly.:s13:

it is not new BTO. however the configuration is really similar to what u hae described. i place it near the tv which is near the ONT. there is a "corridor" where the doors to the bedrooms are. the masterbedroom is the furthest in and thus walls are in the way. there is a smart tv in the masterbedroom but it get disconnected frequently. sometime mobilephone will get disconnected as well. I am wondering whether it is the fault of the router (Aztech 7003) but everywhere else is working perfectly.

i will change to AC88U and see whether the signal will drop in the masterbedroom. if it still do, i will get a powerline. is there any good/fast one with wifi?

Jun Jun

Reaction score
it is not new BTO. however the configuration is really similar to what u hae described. i place it near the tv which is near the ONT. there is a "corridor" where the doors to the bedrooms are. the masterbedroom is the furthest in and thus walls are in the way. there is a smart tv in the masterbedroom but it get disconnected frequently. sometime mobilephone will get disconnected as well. I am wondering whether it is the fault of the router (Aztech 7003) but everywhere else is working perfectly.

i will change to AC88U and see whether the signal will drop in the masterbedroom. if it still do, i will get a powerline. is there any good/fast one with wifi?

88U provided if u do not have alot of devices maybe more than 10 on the 5ghz.Btw difference with the 5300 is only 40 dollars so you might want to consider. For the Powerline there is a new version of tp link called TL-WPA8630P KIT also known as the ac1200 which features gigabit ports 1gbps unlike others with "fast ethernet" like the ones i bought which only supports up to 100mbps.

Jun Jun

Reaction score

For the aztech router, I suggest you ask singtel to come down to do a swap first and its free btw. Just call 1688 and tell them. If it does not work out after, you then proceed to buy routers or home plug.

Jun Jun

Reaction score
88U provided if u do not have alot of devices maybe more than 10 on the 5ghz.Btw difference with the 5300 is only 40 dollars so you might want to consider. For the Powerline there is a new version of tp link called TL-WPA8630P KIT also known as the ac1200 which features gigabit ports 1gbps unlike others with "fast ethernet" like the ones i bought which only supports up to 100mbps.

http://www.tp-link.sg/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA8630P-KIT.html

Check out the specifications of the product from the link. It is always good to do some online research before you get stuff.;)

engshing

Master Member
Reaction score
For the aztech router, I suggest you ask singtel to come down to do a swap first and its free btw. Just call 1688 and tell them. If it does not work out after, you then proceed to buy routers or home plug.

this router has gave me much pain in the past. i have actually exchanged it 3 times already. the reason being it cannot handle my NAS as well as MioTV at the same time. I also have to restart it every now and then in the past whenever there are no internet connection. It works much better after the CSO decide that the fault might be the software and send me the update.

I actually have an existing TPlink homeplug that is connected to a printer. Can I buy the TL-WPA8630P KIT to add on and will it work with each other? or do i have to plug in the 2 different homeplugs and connect both to the router. the printer is in the study room.

Jun Jun

Reaction score
this router has gave me much pain in the past. i have actually exchanged it 3 times already. the reason being it cannot handle my NAS as well as MioTV at the same time. I also have to restart it every now and then in the past whenever there are no internet connection. It works much better after the CSO decide that the fault might be the software and send me the update.

I actually have an existing TPlink homeplug that is connected to a printer. Can I buy the TL-WPA8630P KIT to add on and will it work with each other? or do i have to plug in the 2 different homeplugs and connect both to the router. the printer is in the study room.

Not too sure about that, need other members here to help you with that. But from the website, they should be able to work with different names. What I am not sure is the speed, whether or not you would get slow down by the older home plug. And yeah, I think you need to change your router, since you already called for help 3 times.:s13:

Btw link: http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-406.html

Last edited:

Khairilasny

Reaction score
Hi, I have tried to reset during the first time and after i reset i reconfig and save my settings just in case it fails again
Then when it failed I tried to upload my setting after yet another reset.

Hi,

I'm also facing the same problem as your router. I have also homeplug to connect from router to my PC. I have exchanged the router once and still the same issues of intermittent internet drops to my PC, iphone/Samsung S7 drops, etc.

When I swapped it to my Singtel routers (BTW, I have 2 routers after upgrading to 1GB), everything works well till now. Now I'm putting my Asus as AP mode, no issues for the wireless and LAN in AP mode. My firmware is 3341 as well.

No sure if the 3341 firmware is the problem. Feel like want to send for another exchange and stick to the original firmware.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Maylyn.

I've contacted ASUS SG and they told me they never encounter such problem before, ask me send in for service or 1 to 1 exchange if cannot fix.

I finally send back to my ISP and did a 1 to 1 exchanged.
Tested and every port work. I don't know if it will act up again.
Finger crossed.

Kk .... Noted ;)

Do continue feedback in this thread if you encounter any weird abnormalities :o

evildoctor

Reaction score
Kk .... Noted ;)

Do continue feedback in this thread if you encounter any weird abnormalities :o

Hey Maylyn, a while back ago, i encounter NTP issues ( Reminder: The system time has not been synchronized with an NTP server.). I managed to solve it by putting my main router ip address in the DNS Server and default gateway of my AP router. So i would like to know whether is this a bug?

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey Maylyn, a while back ago, i encounter NTP issues ( Reminder: The system time has not been synchronized with an NTP server.). I managed to solve it by putting my main router ip address in the DNS Server and default gateway of my AP router. So i would like to know whether is this a bug?

NTP bug issues has been resolved in 3314 firmware, but not sure is it related to your case.

- Fixed NTP automatically sync issue when router rebooted

If you are not comfortable upgrading to 3314 (due to FCC ruling which one can't downgrade to previous version henceforth - currently this is workaround on how to downgrade via ASUS CPE mini server recovery - please go check out snbforums), or already on 3314, your method of putting your router IP address on the DNS server and with your AP pointing to it as gateway works as well.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.