[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS ZenWiFi XT8

saikhun

Reaction score
Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_41793 - issue

upgraded to latest Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_41793 to my Aimesh network. after upgraded all my nodes went missing. cant auto rejoin to the AiMesh main controller. all blue blinking light. manully off/on the nodes and only only few nodes able to re join. the rest can't. the new firmware also taking abit longer to boot. I have no choice revert back to 26044 version. can anyone share if you have successfully upgraded to your Aimesh network. I;m using 6 x Zen XT.

REgards,
saikhun

tkdboi

Master Member
Reaction score
upgraded to latest Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_41793 to my Aimesh network. after upgraded all my nodes went missing. cant auto rejoin to the AiMesh main controller. all blue blinking light. manully off/on the nodes and only only few nodes able to re join. the rest can't. the new firmware also taking abit longer to boot. I have no choice revert back to 26044 version. can anyone share if you have successfully upgraded to your Aimesh network. I;m using 6 x Zen XT.

REgards,
saikhun

works fine for me with 3 x Zen XT

Posted from PCWX using SM-F916B

jikilan

Reaction score
2x XT8, after latest Feb firmware like ki siao until I reset the units. Now ok. But the ethernet backhaul like not stable or buggy and it is always down. Set backhaul prioritization with auto then issue solve. With this new firmware update, the UIake ppl feel more more useful with the triband capabilities

jikilan

Reaction score
2x XT8, after latest Feb firmware like ki siao until I reset the units. Now ok. But the ethernet backhaul like not stable or buggy and it is always down. Set backhaul prioritization with auto then issue solve. With this new firmware update, the UIake ppl feel more more useful with the triband capabilities

take back what i said.

with aimesh 2.0, ax86u is my main router and xt8 as nodes. enabled ethernet backhaul and disable wifi 5Ghz-1, now xt8 wifi settings is able to be in sync with ax86u! Eg: the 160mhz and channels. omg! i am a happy man now!:D full bar wifi in the house!!!

JackDulouz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After the Feb update, my Sonos One G1 will often disconnect with my 2.4GHz wifi. Anyone facing this issue?

Think last resort will be to revert back to Jan firmware..

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 5

saikhun

Reaction score
thanks for your feedback. i need to check my routers again it could be hw issue. may be.

after checking with the ASUS support, it seems that the Feb firmware update is unstable when using as AiMesh. some time when choose to reboot entire network or selective nod, not all nods come back online by itself. work around is manual off/on back again. support asked to revert back to earlier and wait for next release.

TonyStark

Master Member
Reaction score
i updated the most recent firmware and its v buggy. devices randomly and intermittently disconnects zzz

jjmmpprr

Reaction score
Hello from Spain. This is my first post here.

Since last firmware (3.0.0.4.386.41793 from 2021/02/01), I'm having issues browsing Google webs (Gmail, Analytics, My Business, a simple Google search, etc). They seem offline, and suddenly they load in about 30 seconds. Gmail tab says "lost connection" for a while when the rest of tabs of other sites are ok). And I can't solve any Google captcha (the "I'm not a robot" one). So I can't login a lot of sites.

After a reboot it goes ok, but in about two hours, problems start again.

The same problem with any page that uses Analytics code. I have tried EVERYTHING. Finally I have changed the Asus XT8 by the "bad" ZTE that my ISP gave to me, with no problems at all.

Any info on this? anyone with similar problems with XT8 or any similar recent AX router from Asus? Regards.

Last edited:

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42095

- Fixed DoS vulnerability
. Thanks for Tsinghua University NISL's contribution.
- Improved system stability.
- Fixed GUI bugs.
- Security Fixed: CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686

Last edited:

jjmmpprr

Reaction score
ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42095

- Fixed DoS vulnerability
. Thanks for Tsinghua University NISL's contribution.
- Improved system stability.
- Fixed GUI bugs.
- Security Fixed: CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686

Yes, I installed it yesterday. But my problem is not solved yet :(

stephenbishop

Reaction score
Strangely. my mesh installation (AX11000 as main router and AX86 and XT8 as mesh nodes) does not even recognise that there is a firmware update for the AX86 and XT8! And there is no update yet for the AX11000. So I manually updated the AX86 and the XT8. PITA.

dirtysock

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Got a resale flat recently and don't want to hack the existing renovation to lay additional cables.

Will change all telephone points in the house to ethernet ports instead and add a patch panel in the DB box.

Is it possible to link up a home network like this? Any drawbacks setting up a network like this?

ISP ONT connected to switch via RJ45
XT8 Main connected to switch via RJ45 and set in AP mode.
XT8 Secondary connected to switch via RJ45

Thanks.

:bandit:

Apex

Reaction score
Got a resale flat recently and don't want to hack the existing renovation to lay additional cables.

Will change all telephone points in the house to ethernet ports instead and add a patch panel in the DB box.

Is it possible to link up a home network like this? Any drawbacks setting up a network like this?

ISP ONT connected to switch via RJ45
XT8 Main connected to switch via RJ45 and set in AP mode.
XT8 Secondary connected to switch via RJ45

Thanks.

ONT > Router > Switch

Cannot :
ONT > Switch > Router

Default ONT only give 1 IP address. U place a switch there if you have more than 1 device connected to the normal switch there is where the problem occurs. The only 1 IP maybe assigned to other devices instead of router. Unless you are using a switch with vLAN Support.

Something like (draft design)

Port 1 VLAN 0 (if you plan to hook up another VLAN Switch else where)
Port 2/3 VLAN 1
Port 4/5 VLAN 2

Use VLAN 1 for ONT to Router
Use VLAN 2 for router to all other network device.

The VLAN thing is a little hard to explain here.

dirtysock

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
ONT > Router > Switch

Cannot :
ONT > Switch > Router

Default ONT only give 1 IP address. U place a switch there if you have more than 1 device connected to the normal switch there is where the problem occurs. The only 1 IP maybe assigned to other devices instead of router. Unless you are using a switch with vLAN Support.

Something like (draft design)

Port 1 VLAN 0 (if you plan to hook up another VLAN Switch else where)
Port 2/3 VLAN 1
Port 4/5 VLAN 2

Use VLAN 1 for ONT to Router
Use VLAN 2 for router to all other network device.

The VLAN thing is a little hard to explain here.
Oh no, seems more complicated than I thought.

Was googling for solutions online and I came across this (Scenario 3):

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044151/
Would the TP Link TL SG108E able to achieve the vLan grouping?

Thanks.

Apex

Reaction score
Oh no, seems more complicated than I thought.

Was googling for solutions online and I came across this (Scenario 3):

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044151/
Would the TP Link TL SG108E able to achieve the vLan grouping?

Thanks.

Maybe you would like to share with us why you do not want

ONT > Router setup.

I know some user doesn't want to keep the main AP/Router into a cupboard due to ONT location.

dirtysock

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Maybe you would like to share with us why you do not want

ONT > Router setup.

I know some user doesn't want to keep the main AP/Router into a cupboard due to ONT location.

ONT>Router is the easiest setup, but due to cabling constraint, I don't think I can achieve that as the cabling in the house are all concealed currently and I don't want to use wireless backhaul to connect the secondary nodes.

How about getting a pair of XT8 and add 1 in the cupboard?

ONT>XT8 router (in DB cupboard)>Switch>XT8 (Living room) & XT8 (Bedroom2) & XT8 (Bedroom 3)

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
ONT>Router is the easiest setup, but due to cabling constraint, I don't think I can achieve that as the cabling in the house are all concealed currently and I don't want to use wireless backhaul to connect the secondary nodes.

ONT>XT8 router (in DB cupboard)>Switch>XT8 (Living room) & XT8 (Bedroom2) & XT8 (Bedroom 3)

All your Cable are now concealed and end at where? The DB cupboard?

4 units of XT8 seems overkill.

jasonho

Reaction score

Don't think you need that many XT8s bcos

1) you dont actually need a powerful WIFI as router in the DB box. Basically you need a router that connects to your ONT and the your MESH node. Of course, it will work regardless of price factor.

2) Since you are using wired backhaul, just need dual band AX mesh setup. XT8 is designed for strong wireless backhaul. You just need 3 x Asus XD4 pack and it's going to be cheaper than 2 x XT8.

Before any further recommendation, I think its good for you to share your house floor plan so that you can pinpoint the exact locations of DB, Living Room, bedroom.

PS : how big is your house btw?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.