[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC3200 Router

kennyg1969

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i suppose the 6 antennas can be screwed in any of the 6 places? i saw a piece of instruction paper that said antenna 1 must be screwed into the assigned place that labelled number 1 on the back of the router and so on for the rest of the antenna

i do not see any number on the antennas nor any number on the back of the router.. so i suppose that piece of instruction paper can be ignore?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

i suppose the 6 antennas can be screwed in any of the 6 places? i saw a piece of instruction paper that said antenna 1 must be screwed into the assigned place that labelled number 1 on the back of the router and so on for the rest of the antenna

i do not see any number on the antennas nor any number on the back of the router.. so i suppose that piece of instruction paper can be ignore?

Yes lah just fix any manner will do

speed_0828

Reaction score
This is my current rule which so far the best .

1EQrDs9.png

This looks cool though for a techie nerds like us, but this is too much for an average customer. I guess they belong to the bigger pie of the wifi consumer market. ASUS did really messed up their Smart Wifi implementation. Well Netgear did have the same issues when they launched their AC3200, intermittent connection issues. Expect that Asus engineers may somehow working to correct this soon. For now, if you are planning to splurge your cash on an AC3200 router and cannot wait for Asus, you always have other options like Linksys EA9200 or the new Dlink. :)

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This looks cool though for a techie nerds like us, but this is too much for an average customer. I guess they belong to the bigger pie of the wifi consumer market. ASUS did really messed up their Smart Wifi implementation. Well Netgear did have the same issues when they launched their AC3200, intermittent connection issues. Expect that Asus engineers may somehow working to correct this soon. For now, if you are planning to splurge your cash on an AC3200 router and cannot wait for Asus, you always have other options like Linksys EA9200 or the new Dlink. :)
Try his setting too....

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/as...ct-rules-fine-tuning.22823/page-3#post-176760

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

You mean LINKSYS EA9200 and the new DLINK 3200 router are smarter than ASUS?

:D

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 month no firmware update liao... Hope can have a good update for smart connect...

speed_0828

Reaction score
You mean LINKSYS EA9200 and the new DLINK 3200 router are smarter than ASUS?

:D

everyone is smart bro :) it all boils down to who did more the hard work in making sure that it works. hehehe. So far for the AC3200, I have not heard any major connection issues on the smart connect of Linksys EA9200.

Well I heard DLINK has the same Smart Connect implementation with Asus, not sure though. Hopefully one of our brothers/sisters here can give us a feedback.

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I notice that I can set all 3 BW to the same SSID .... and different channel ... .. instead of smart connect ..

What is the issue with this ?>

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Swee swee liao.. I use a simple trick and about to distribute devices in the 2 X 5ghz band ... All without using smart connect...

Step1 set the same ssid for both 5ghz and a different ssid for 2.4ghz.

Step2 set tx 100% for first 5ghz and tx 1% for second 5ghz.

Step 3 login to 5ghz on devices.

That is it ... You will see the router will distribute devices evenly ..

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Erm, Asus, when will the official firmware with the correct Singtel Vlan be out?

Been almost 2 weeks since I'm using the beta, though it works perfectly for Singtel Mio (except for the Smart Connect which still drops wifi connection at times).

Kinda annoying to see the yellow ! everytime you log in and not knowing if the firmware they prompt to upgrade is new or the older .4145.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Swee swee liao.. I use a simple trick and about to distribute devices in the 2 X 5ghz band ... All without using smart connect...

Step1 set the same ssid for both 5ghz and a different ssid for 2.4ghz.

Step2 set tx 100% for first 5ghz and tx 1% for second 5ghz.

Step 3 login to 5ghz on devices.

That is it ... You will see the router will distribute devices evenly ..

If you set the SSID the same for both 2.4 & 5GHz you'll see 3 items to log in on each device and they don't tell you whether its 2.4 or 5GHz

That's what happened to me when using Smart Connect. Will this happen without Smart Connect too?

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you set the SSID the same for both 2.4 & 5GHz you'll see 3 items to log in on each device and they don't tell you whether its 2.4 or 5GHz

That's what happened to me when using Smart Connect. Will this happen without Smart Connect too?

I didnt test 2.4ghz as in the first place I want all my devices to go 5ghz ... Only left 2 webcam and a 4/yr old laser that die die stuck at 2.4ghz.

So I don't bother 2.4ghz.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

I didnt test 2.4ghz as in the first place I want all my devices to go 5ghz ... Only left 2 webcam and a 4/yr old laser that die die stuck at 2.4ghz.

So I don't bother 2.4ghz.

But then how do you know which device should go to the 1st 5GHz and which to the 2nd 5GHz band?

I think it's difficult for users to set the devices to the correct 5GHz band and that's where Smart Connect comes in. It should able to intelligently assign which device to which band for 5GHz. Can you imagine you have 50 wireless devices to set without Smart Connect?

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But then how do you know which device should go to the 1st 5GHz and which to the 2nd 5GHz band?

I think it's difficult for users to set the devices to the correct 5GHz band and that's where SMART CONNECT comes in. It should able to intelligently assign which device to the which band for 5GHz.

Asus and Netgear using the signal strength between itself to the devices to place the band. Closer to it will go Ac further drop N .

And I notice that devices love to go Band 2 instead of Band 1.

Bring down Band 2 to 1% and Band 1 to 100% will equal the tx power to same db at a same distance .

So the rest I will let the router decide which to hook the device to .

So far I notice it will distribute equally ... So long as both band share load I am OK... For now .

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Asus and Netgear using the signal strength between itself to the devices to place the band. Closer to it will go Ac further drop N .

And I notice that devices love to go Band 2 instead of Band 1.

Bring down Band 2 to 1% and Band 1 to 100% will equal the tx power to same db at a same distance .

So the rest I will let the router decide which to hook the device to .

So far I notice it will distribute equally ... So long as both band share load I am OK... For now .

I believe the intent of having two (2) bands of 5GHz is not that. The faster speed device should go on the faster lane and the slower device on the slower lane. If you manually set them and just let them share both the lanes without knowing whether they have been correctly utilized then it defeats the purpose of having Smart Connect.

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe the intent of having two (2) bands of 5GHz is not that. The faster speed device should go on the faster lane and the slower device on the slower lane. If you manually set them and just let them share both the lanes without knowing whether they have been correctly utilized then it defeats the purpose of having Smart Connect.
This is one point that I cannot understand and I think it is a "marketing" gimmick.

"two (2) bands of 5GHz is not that. The faster speed device should go on the faster lane and the slower device on the slower lane. "

Si mi is faster lane and slower lane ?.... I compare both 5Ghz setting .... both same setting .... what is "faster" than the other leh ??? What make a 5Ghz faster than the other ?

On theory it sell well ... but technically I am not sure.

More of my personal view when playing with this Smart Connect

1) 2.4Ghz to mix with 5Ghz auto switch (this will also impact the phone to switch together ) ... will it be so transparent? This is a switch in Frequency leh.

2) Why Linksys ended up only do "SC" on 5Ghz could be because they understand that (1) is a difficult issue to resolve... and let it auto like what I am doing ...? (this is why I wanted to buy a Linksys to try ) ....:D

3) Looking at the SC which Asus provide to configure ... I really think that 2.4Ghz should be avoided (in fact many sample including my trial ) are to push all 5ghz away from 2.4Ghz in the first place.

4) And to start measuring the DB between device to determine the " faster lane" is a challenging task . Why ?... different house different landscape and different blockage ... device move have a lag time before the router find it again and it start to measure. Imaging 3 phone move together... it can catch up fast enough without dropping 2 while working on 1 ?

Anyway just my comment only....

Nevertheless..... I am very happy that Beamforminng work in AC3200... this is something certainly a good feature that AC87U have to disable .... WHAT A SHAME on a $399 AC87U !

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

This is one point that I cannot understand and I think it is a "marketing" gimmick.

"two (2) bands of 5GHz is not that. The faster speed device should go on the faster lane and the slower device on the slower lane. "

Si mi is faster lane and slower lane ?.... I compare both 5Ghz setting .... both same setting .... what is "faster" than the other leh ??? What make a 5Ghz faster than the other ?

On theory it sell well ... but technically I am not sure.

Me also gets confused with this Smart Connect thing.

Firstly the devices must be classed into fast or slow 5GHz something I think its difficult to do. May be the router can do it intelligently but definitely not me.

Secondly, ASUS 3200 with Smart Connect turn on only has one (1) SSID for setting. Unlike setting manually you can have three (3) different SSIDs. This pose a problem with Smart Connect turn on. I can see three (3) selections on my device but each won't say its 2.4GHz, 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2. Simply selecting and connecting one is not the way. However, if the router is smart enough then whichever selection you made to connect it should intelligently assign the device to the correct band.

Thirdly, correct me if I'm wrong, both the 5GHz bands operate on different sets of frequencies. This you can see in the manual setting. So if a device operates on one frequency then it should stay sticky on that 5GHz band (i.e. either 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2). I think there are some frequencies not being used here and if this is true then it makes a router having two(2) 5GHz bands for its intended purpose useless.

Last edited:

ahduck

Reaction score
Correct me if I not wrong.

I think I read somewhere that some ATAS ppl mentioned that if 5Ghz (AC devices) and 5Ghz (N devices) connect and share the same 5Ghz Band (most routers only have one 5Ghz channel), the slower speed (N device) will cause the faster (AC devices) to slow down.

That's why they come out with a router with two 5Ghz bands. Therefore separating the faster 5Ghz (AC devices) and 5Ghz (N devices).

Just curious and asking, why do you want your device to switch to band 1 or band 2 of the 5Ghz channel? Technically both bands should have the same power output and coverage right? Also if the Smart connect works by switching devices to connect to the stronger or less congested band and vice versa, would've there be a momentary disconnection of internet?

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Me also gets confused with this Smart Connect thing.

Firstly the devices must be classed into fast or slow 5GHz something I think its difficult to do. May be the router can do it intelligently but definitely not me.

Secondly, ASUS 3200 with Smart Connect turn on only has one (1) SSID for setting. Unlike setting manually you can have three (3) different SSIDs. This pose a problem with Smart Connect turn on. I can see three (3) selections on my device but each won't say its 2.4GHz, 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2. Simply selecting and connecting one is not the way. However, if the router is smart enough then whichever selection you made to connect it should intelligently assign the device to the correct band.

Thirdly, correct me if I'm wrong, both the 5GHz bands operate on different sets of frequencies. This you can see in the manual setting. So if a device operates on one frequency then it should stay sticky on that 5GHz band (i.e. either 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2). I think there are some frequencies not being used here and if this is true then it makes a router having two(2) 5GHz bands for its intended purpose useless.
Yes correct , to rephrase it - 5GHz bands operate on different " channel " hence different sets of frequencies"

And yes correct - So if a device operates on one frequency then it should stay sticky on that 5GHz band (i.e. either 5GHz-1 or 5GHz-2).

But the SC is trying to make device to run Between 2.4Ghz---5Ghz-1---5Ghz-2 .. it make it like car travelling left lane -- middle lane --- over taking lane (if you see the Youtube of Netgear R8000)

This causing a lot of switching and hence now intermittent..

Linksys trying to keep car in middle and overtaking lane .. at least lesser car collusion... to much setting I read can be tune.

Asus on the other hand.... let us be the Traffic police ... set the rule ... and hence we guide the traffic mass orgy .....:s13:

Temp relief .... kick 2.4Ghz out ... let 5Ghz auto handle to share 5Ghz 2x channel ... until Asus come out of the robot cop to take role.....:D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.