[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And also --- Keep a look out that 5Ghz will hang - stop responsing with LED turn off too ...

If it happen , all hard reset again + factory reset and start configuration again..

So far so good. I have to say this firmware is by dmfar better than 3885 and 4376. Signature version for trend micro is uodated promptly to 1.032, no wifi drop on 5ghz yet.

Shall monitor it for 72hrs..

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So far so good. I have to say this firmware is by dmfar better than 3885 and 4376. Signature version for trend micro is uodated promptly to 1.032, no wifi drop on 5ghz yet.

Shall monitor it for 72hrs..
Wait for your good news...............:D

dont enable BF for 5Ghz .... all devices will drop like party...

Last edited:

dfran1

Reaction score
Dear renfred,

We are testing on some devices, so we disable by default. <<< Unofficial build >>>

We will enable once finial build is ready.

This build also includes new revision of the driver.

Please let me know if you have any issue on this firmware.

Best regard,
JK

Its about time, better late than never,
leave BF off, one can turn it on if want / think they need to.

going to test it will post my findings.
dd-wrt has been perfect.
I hope you fixed the ps4 lag that shows within 24 hours and the DNLA media server stopping.
Thank you !

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its about time, better late than never,
leave BF off, one can turn it on if want / think they need to.

going to test it will post my findings.
dd-wrt has been perfect.
I hope you fixed the ps4 lag that shows within 24 hours and the DNLA media server stopping.
Thank you !

Dear renfred,

We are testing on some devices, so we disable by default. <<< Unofficial build >>>

We will enable once finial build is ready.

This build also includes new revision of the driver.

Please let me know if you have any issue on this firmware.

Best regard,
JK

Dear all,

RT-AC87U 3.0.0.4.378_4608 Unofficial Beta

Download: http://bit.ly/1HcAYC5

Changelog:
- Fix br0 issue
- Update signature version to 1.032
- Fix other bug
- Added icon on client status

* Require hard reset
* Do not restore saved configure settings

Best regard,
JK

After about 8 hours of usage, I have to applaud to the team for releasing this beta. This beta is not near perfect, but its a huge leap from the old 3885/4376 firmwares.

Positive review:
- Br0 issue is now fixed, for the whole night, i did not have a single entry of such in my log. I will have to further test it as I just restarted my router due to changes in settings.

- Signature version is indeed bumped up to 1.032. Note that you might need to hit the reboot button on the webUI in order to see a change in signature version, or else it might take a while to reflect a change.

- 5Ghz is now rock solid on my apple devices and android devices. No disconnection for the entire night as evidenced by the wireless log. Indeed impressive..

Not-so Positive review:
- Explicit/Universal/802.11ac Beamforming (2.4ghz + 5ghz) are disabled by default. I strongly encourage all users to leave them disabled until the new firmware is released. enabling beam forming will make your wireless speed very very choppy. No time to fully test it, but i still rather leave them disabled because your wireless devices should work just fine...

Right now, I see hope in this ac87u, and i'm again finding back the love i had for it once again..

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After about 8 hours of usage, I have to applaud to the team for releasing this beta. This beta is not near perfect, but its a huge leap from the old 3885/4376 firmwares.

Positive review:
- Br0 issue is now fixed, for the whole night, i did not have a single entry of such in my log. I will have to further test it as I just restarted my router due to changes in settings.

- Signature version is indeed bumped up to 1.032. Note that you might need to hit the reboot button on the webUI in order to see a change in signature version, or else it might take a while to reflect a change.

- 5Ghz is now rock solid on my apple devices and android devices. No disconnection for the entire night as evidenced by the wireless log. Indeed impressive..

Not-so Positive review:
- Explicit/Universal/802.11ac Beamforming (2.4ghz + 5ghz) are disabled by default. I strongly encourage all users to leave them disabled until the new firmware is released. enabling beam forming will make your wireless speed very very choppy. No time to fully test it, but i still rather leave them disabled because your wireless devices should work just fine...

Right now, I see hope in this ac87u, and i'm again finding back the love i had for it once again..

I thought someone say it is the fault of iPhone for the 5gHz disconnection. With this new beta release, it solve disconnection problem?

dfran1

Reaction score
I thought someone say it is the fault of iPhone for the 5gHz disconnection. With this new beta release, it solve disconnection problem?

Please people lets not jump to any conclusions until we hit the 48 hour mark, that alone will be a great achievement! Anything before is no better than all the last firmwares . I myself made way too many conclusions before the 48 hour mark, and was let down .

So let's all take the time and please test and post after the 48 hour mark if no problems or before with problems .
To the rest we do no know yet if this is any better. Please stand by (or try for yourself ).

Last edited:

SimonLam

Reaction score
I guess now I lazy to do many patches that needs hard-reset and reconfigure each setting from scratch again.. I wait for the full release lol.

Meanwhile 4376 + 4 BF settings + AIProtection turned off.

Last edited:

SimonLam

Reaction score
Will there be a difference in wireless performance of having Ac66-AC87(bridge) and Ac87-Ac87(bridge)? And also LAN performance in the above setup? Thinking if I should buy one unit or two unit of Ac87. Need the bros advice here . thanks.

Sent from Motorola NEXUS 6 using GAGT

are you a speed demon? the AC87u-AC87u bridge >> any other bridge. It delivers around 800-900Mbps throughput (close to 1Gbps LAN performance) on 5Ghz bridge. Refer to both Maylyn and my post in the initial first few pages on this thread.

AC87U's performance boost in bridge was the reason why I dump and sold my old AC68U-AC68U bridge (2 excellent units for whoever took over).

Only concern: Distance between the 2 5Ghz bridge devices and any obstacle (e.g wall, materials that block signals) between them, as 5Ghz is short range and sensitive.

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Please people lets not jump to any conclusions until we hit the 48 hour mark, that alone will be a great achievement! Anything before is no better than all the last firmwares . I myself made way too many conclusions before the 48 hour mark, and was let down .

So let's all take the time and please test and post after the 48 hour mark if no problems or before with problems .
To the rest we do no know yet if this is any better. Please stand by (or try for yourself ).

Let's be more specific the type of "Apple" that we posted here. I am into the 3d day of the Beta and I observe that

1) IPhone 6Plus will DC when screen off but will auto connect back @ 5Ghz. No issue when using it. When turn on BF , the issue of Connected but no internet will appear.
2) New IPAD no issue to remain connected. No issue if BF turn on too.

IPhone 6+ still drop is also reported here - http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac87-firmware-official-releases.18385/page-53#post-170770

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Don't mind list down the type of Apple devices too.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let's be more specific the type of "Apple" that we posted here. I am into the 3d day of the Beta and I observe that

1) IPhone 6Plus will DC when screen off but will auto connect back @ 5Ghz. No issue when using it. When turn on BF , the issue of Connected but no internet will appear.
2) New IPAD no issue to remain connected. No issue if BF turn on too.

you mean 3rd day? HUH?

jingwei

Reaction score
are you a speed demon? the AC87u-AC87u bridge >> any other bridge. It delivers around 800-900Mbps throughput (close to 1Gbps LAN performance) on 5Ghz bridge. Refer to both Maylyn and my post in the initial first few pages on this thread.

AC87U's performance boost in bridge was the reason why I dump and sold my old AC68U-AC68U bridge (2 excellent units for whoever took over).

Only concern: Distance between the 2 5Ghz bridge devices and any obstacle (e.g wall, materials that block signals) between them, as 5Ghz is short range and sensitive.
Thanks for your advice.

But I will also have a third bridged device connected to the 2x AC87 as I an using apple time capsule for backing up my macs. Will that affect the 5Ghz AC87 performance with a 3rd bridge added in?

Sent from Motorola NEXUS 6 using GAGT

ahduck

Reaction score
:eek:............................Si Bay power .... circuit logicail diagram all come out liao ......

Because a pic speaks a thousand words. And so far, not much ppl using Dual Wan and Teaming features.
Asus more or less fixed the Dual Wan features but nothing mentioned on the Teaming feature on port 1 and 2.

dfran1

Reaction score
ASUS@SG,

20 hours and 30 minutes in

So far no wifi drops on any device
Samsung TV played a movie great with DNLA
iphone 6 plus no problems
iphone 6 no problems
ipad air2 no problems
of course other wifi devices in the backgrounds I have not tested.

USB sambra working OK

DNLA media server is still running (so far)

PS4 lag yes at this point (was ok up to this point in time), I had to go into WAN , then toggle UPnP, then click apply, and no PS4 lag at the moment, SO this is still a issue.

Still testing the rest, and I have not rebooted the router yet.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.