[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

jingwei

Reaction score
My entire house is cabled physically.

a) If i want to improve my wifi coverage, should I set the 2nd AC87 as an Access point or as a media bridge?

b) If i set the 2nd AC87 as a media bridge, and with an Apple Time Capsule as the 3rd bridge, will it affect the AC87-AC87 performance?

Sent from Motorola NEXUS 6 using GAGT

Questor

Reaction score
Dear all,

RT-AC87U 3.0.0.4.378_4608 Unofficial Beta

Download: http://bit.ly/1HcAYC5

Changelog:
- Fix br0 issue

Just to update - My main router remained on merlin, but I updated my access point AC87U to this unofficial beta and it's been up and running for 2.5 days. So far so good in terms of usability, though I haven't done thorough tests.

The br0 issue still occurs per the logs, but it doesn't seem to go out of hand now (previously it will flood my log and hang the wifi/access point). There is a "ntp: start NTP update" that occurs some time after.. not sure if this is related to the fix.

tormont

Reaction score
Tried 4608 beta for slightly more than 3 days. Initially everything seems pretty good, but my house's HTC M7 seems to get disconnected and not be able to reconnect when placed in sleep mode. This occurred a quite frequently. Later, I found that my iPad mini first gen, and iPad mini 2 both had the same issue.

iPhones seem to stay strong at the beginning. But, at day 2 my iPhone 6 plus has the disconnect and reconnect issue in sleep mode too. The other 2 iPhones (iPhone 6) in my house seem to be not affected by the issue though.

No beamforming is turned on FYI.

Currently I'm back to Merlin's 378.51_0 and everything seems good for me, so long beamforming is off.

seller4

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just test with AC68. Even the wireless speed test is faster than the 87U. Haha! 87U firmware really sucks
I give up on AC87. 5Ghz keep DC randomly. After reading your post, I decided to switch back to AC68. Wow, I am surprised all the web pages and apps load faster and no more random DC. I seriously regretted getting AC87. Can ask ASUS Singapore for a refund for AC87? It is a broken product and should never be sold. :(

tuapuikia

Reaction score
I give up on AC87. 5Ghz keep DC randomly. After reading your post, I decided to switch back to AC68. Wow, I am surprised all the web pages and apps load faster and no more random DC. I seriously regretted getting AC87. Can ask ASUS Singapore for a refund for AC87? It is a broken product and should never be sold. :(
I willing to bail your asus 87u for SGD150.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So far my AC87U is performing well, no hiccups
expect for my switch which seems to be faulty.

ahduck

Reaction score
$150? Lol. I will use it as a super big and heavy paper weight till ASUS fix the FW. :s13:

I'll use it to hang my underwear by the antennas 4 pcs at a time.:s13:
Since it produce so much heat, it should dry out quite fast.:D

seller4

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'll use it to hang my underwear by the antennas 4 pcs at a time.:s13:
Since it produce so much heat, it should dry out quite fast.:D
Wahahahaa.... that's a brilliant idea. Perhaps I should do that too. :s13:

ahduck

Reaction score
Wahahahaa.... that's a brilliant idea. Perhaps I should do that too.

Pray they don't catch on fire LOL

Duck usually wear panty ....

No reason for it to catch fire la. If it does, Asus has to compensate 7pcs liao. If not 4 out of 3 days got nothing to wear. I don't like commando feel..:s13::s13:
aussiebum-myday-days.jpg

Last edited:

ratxx_hm

Reaction score
No reason for it to catch fire la. If it does, Asus has to compensate 7pcs liao. If not 4 out of 3 days got nothing to wear. I don't like commando feel..:s13::s13:
aussiebum-myday-days.jpg
Anyone of you thinking of getting back a full refund?? since its really causing so much problems and its not solved since December 2014 till now!

dfran1

Reaction score
I have been trying to tell you all about my ps4.lag and I would beleive other stuff would be affected also . I bet if you flash again and reset to factory default and set the up from scratch it works fast for about 20 hours then starts to slow down again .
This has been a major problem with Asus firmware fo months now and they keep brushing my ps4 lag off, when I know it is affecting other stuff also IE web surfing

Also reboot the router and that problem happens faster or every time, the only way to clear it is to re flash and factory default it ..

tuapuikia

Reaction score
I have been trying to tell you all about my ps4.lag and I would beleive other stuff would be affected also . I bet if you flash again and reset to factory default and set the up from scratch it works fast for about 20 hours then starts to slow down again .
This has been a major problem with Asus firmware fo months now and they keep brushing my ps4 lag off, when I know it is affecting other stuff also IE web surfing

Also reboot the router and that problem happens faster or every time, the only way to clear it is to re flash and factory default it ..

What kind of nat you use for ps4? Did you check router > system log > forwarding tab to confirm upnp is open the port?

dfran1

Reaction score
What kind of nat you use for ps4? Did you check router > system log > forwarding tab to confirm upnp is open the port?

It's always NAT 2 , yes UPNP is always on, I even tried DMZ to the ps4 all no help
But dd-wrt Never has this issue so it is within asus firmware , but it only shows up around 20 hours and a reboot of the router causes all hell that NO OTHER ROUTER HAS EVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH.
All tested on 3 different 87r s now

tuapuikia

Reaction score
It's always NAT 2 , yes UPNP is always on, I even tried DMZ to the ps4 all no help
But dd-wrt Never has this issue so it is within asus firmware , but it only shows up around 20 hours and a reboot of the router causes all hell that NO OTHER ROUTER HAS EVER HAD PROBLEMS WITH.
All tested on 3 different 87r s now

Not sure what is the changesbon ps4 but ps3 do not have such problem. Playing battlefield and latency is low.

Did you enable ctf+fa? FA only possible when DPI is disabled.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.