[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

evildoctor

Reaction score
Landed , then I suggest you check around your house how well you want your house to be fully connected at which angle, which floor, and whether it is still possible to do structural cabling in your house.

Have you designate a network hub area? If so, you can start thinking of laying structural cabling with at least cat6 to all intended points around the house.

Fibre Termination point -- Router -- GB Switch (if need >4 GB ports) -- structural cabling -- each LAN port -- equipment or Access Point w switch -- equipment via wifi

Or you can do:

Fibre TP -- Asus ac87u/ac68u router -- 5Ghz wireless bridge -- 2nd ac87u/ac68u router in media bridge -- structural cabling -- each LAN port -- ...

Note 5Ghz is degradable with distance and obstacles from the 1st wireless router.

Laying internet cables around my house would be troublesome and expensive. So if I bridge, the bridge router won't give out any wifi signal? So it doesn't matter if I get ac68u and ac87u as there won't be any difference in terms of the wifi coverage rite? Thanks guys for the much appreciated advice! 😊

evildoctor

Reaction score
But another thing that I'm thinking like I'm paying 329 for the technology of last year while I can just top up 70 dollars more to get a product that is just released.

bagger 288

Suspended
Reaction score
I beg to differ. I manage to restore my 3 units of rt-ac66u configuration backups to the 3 units of rt-ac87r that I imported from US. Been running it for more than a week, no issues at all. Just need to change a few hostname parameters to reflect the rt-ac87r name change and the qos and nat settings if you require.

gxgx
someone hoot 3 sets :D

arozario

Reaction score
Went at 12:20 and I'm pretty sure I bought the second one at the Asus counter on 4th floor At the time no one else was there after me. They give you some gigantic headset as a free gift.

That being said, if they do happen to sell out, I wouldn't worry as I did a walk around the 6th floor and spotted it on sale at 2 other outlets (though I guess no free gift).

Also bought a roomba for $300 off retail!

seller4

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got mine Asus RT-AC87U from Comex at around 12:15pm from the Asus booth. I think I am the first person to buy thing from that booth cos they still trying to get their Nets and Credit Card payment machines up. :s13:

Got one super big headset and 1 piece of paper that has the Anti-virus download link and key FREE.

20140828_122925_zps58be2d87.jpg

Last edited:

dsrl

Reaction score
Noted :D

What is your led colours? white or blue? :D ;)
Blue. Not sure about the local packaging, but the US sets comes with fixed US electric pin plug, not like the 66U which comes with interchangeable plugs, just a slight drawback, just need plug adapter.
Overall, i'm very happy, resolved my dead spots issue and bumping up from 80mbps to 500+mbps in media bridge mode over 2 concrete walls really help alot.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Blue. Not sure about the local packaging, but the US sets comes with fixed US electric pin plug, not like the 66U which comes with interchangeable plugs, just a slight drawback, just need plug adapter.
Overall, i'm very happy, resolved my dead spots issue and bumping up from 80mbps to 500+mbps in media bridge mode over 2 concrete walls really help alot.

Guess RMerlin and mine is really limited edition :p lol

SimonLam

Reaction score
Warning: those getting 2 units or more better come with extra hands. Car park slots are rare.

Further report later

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Warning: those getting 2 units or more better come with extra hands. Car park slots are rare.

Further report later

Went down during lunch. Two big bags with the speakers. Fortunately, no taxi queue. Took taxi back to where I parked my car :D

X-powerman

Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys, before I hoot.... Will it make any difference compared to Aztech 7002 in wired environment? I am using Singtel 300Mbps.

Wondering if it will reduce my gaming ping times or improve torrent speeds etc.....

SimonLam

Reaction score
I am still tuning the settings...

Current result from my wired PC at AC87U media bridge on MR 1Gbps plan:

Broke my previous bridge record on AC68U.. but still far from 800-850Mbps.

Noticed that my 5Ghz bridge link hit 1170-1300Mbps but not beyond it. Previously on AC68U was 867-1170Mbps.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 700410 kbps (87551.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 475468 kbps (59433.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 5 ms
Jitter: 0 ms
‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2014‎ ‎7‎:‎20‎:‎13‎ ‎PM

Ghostrider333

Reaction score
Firmware seems to be still buggy. Tweaking with some GUI options seem to disable NAT Acceleration Level 2 CTF causing speed to drop (reboot solves the issue).

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
I am still tuning the settings...

Current result from my wired PC at AC87U media bridge on MR 1Gbps plan:

Broke my previous bridge record on AC68U.. but still far from 800-850Mbps.

Noticed that my 5Ghz bridge link hit 1170-1300Mbps but not beyond it. Previously on AC68U was 867-1170Mbps.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 700410 kbps (87551.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 475468 kbps (59433.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 5 ms
Jitter: 0 ms
‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2014‎ ‎7‎:‎20‎:‎13‎ ‎PM

You using Merlin's latest .46 firmware? I saw a thread on this in SNB forum.

SimonLam

Reaction score
Warning: This router is freaking HUGE! +25% the size of AC68U..

In terms of boot time, do expect a longer time to boot and get all services up.

I think firmware need further tweak. 2.4Ghz up very fast.. 5Ghz is like wait a while then come up..

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In terms of boot time, do expect a longer time to boot and get all services up.

I think firmware need further tweak. 2.4Ghz up very fast.. 5Ghz is like wait a while then come up..
I doubt this part is going to change soon.
From THiggin's review, the 2.4GHz band is run off the main Broadcom CPU, that's why it came up fast, but the 5GHz has it's own copy of OS to boot up, which probably accounts for the extra time needed to startup.

ASUS RT-AC87U Review: Part 2 - Stress Test - SmallNetBuilder

Yellowfin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Does this router have pre-set for singtel fiber.

Will it have better performance for using 4 units of this to setup a wireless network for the whole house as compare to previous Asus model.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.