[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

lawzhong

Reaction score
After the new update on my AC68U, my time machine backup not working. :(

10593145_831706886863321_1051466942829909156_n.jpg

We have release new firmware for our ASUS router to improve WebUI, adding features, security and ASUS AICloud 2.0.

Explore the new and updated features in latest firmware below:
RT-N66U: http://bit.ly/1AZz1Gu
RT-AC56S: http://bit.ly/1tgjEs4
RT-AC56U: http://bit.ly/1n16qs4
RT-AC66U: http://bit.ly/YZiwfD
RT-AC68U: http://bit.ly/1pOG2qb
RT-AC87U: http://bit.ly/1u551F0

Andread

Reaction score
What i noticed in the .2678 firmware (warning: very unscientific).

I've been running an n66u in a room in repeater mode connected on 5ghz (intended devices connect on 2.4ghz of n66u) with the ac87u in living room (4 concrete walls inbetween); the n66u was the model that i upgraded from. I know this set up completely blocks the potential of the high throughput in the ac87u 5ghz, but it's the best way to get usable (& rather fast) wifi in my room and masterbed room, planning to sell off the n66u for an ac repeater so this is a temp setup.

Anyways, firmware prior to the .2678, the link rate fluctuates between 246mbps - 346.5mbps regularly. In .2678, the link rate die die remains stable at 300mbps. So, my unscientific observable is that .2678 somehow made the 5ghz on the ac87u to handle noise better and maintain stronger link throughput.

2rw01fs.jpg

top 2 results are after firmware upgrade, the next 2 is before. (speedtest: ip5s)

will continue to observe

[Edit: speedtest]

Last edited:

lawzhong

Reaction score
Dear lawzhong,

No problem for my side.

Time machine can backup my MacBook Air 2013 build 10.10

Best regard,
JK

Any possible workaround u could suggest? Tried rebooting, mount and dismount, still unable to detect.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
What type of hard disk do you use for the time machine? 3.5" or 2.5"?

Dear toyknight,

I using NAS & Western Digital Passport USB 3.0.

NAS - 3.5inch seagate 4TB
Western Digital Passport 2.5inch USB 3.0

Best regard,
JK

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
Got 1 yesterday. Challenger person didn't give the free antivirus made me unwrap my AC87U to check if it's inside and then walked back to and fro 20mins :(

Can't wait to use it...in about 1.5months time.

ps. The mic quality of the headset is lousier than $2x Sonicgear Loop IIIx. :s11:

Hopefully get to test the speed and coverage once the renovation's done.

toyknight

Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Cool. Planning to plug in my 2TB 2.5" external harddisk to AC87U for time machine. Should be ok?

Dear toyknight,

I using NAS & Western Digital Passport USB 3.0.

NAS - 3.5inch seagate 4TB
Western Digital Passport 2.5inch USB 3.0

Best regard,
JK

square

Reaction score
Hi square, the firmware loaded in your router as factory loaded firmware requires you to downgrade switch control to LEVEL 1 CTF as mentioned by Asus@SG.

My suggestion is to use your old router, get online and download the latest firmware .2678 from asus support site, or from a link in this thread which maylyn has posted.

Once u have extracted the firmware on your desktop, replace your ac87u again and then try to access the GUI at 192.168.1.1

You should be able to access the network map. Once u r there, on top of the page displays the firmware version, click it and it brings you to anither page for u to upload the new firmware you just downloaded.

Once everything is done, use the reset button on the router, press it for 5 seconds then release. Router is kinda retarded, but assured that it will reboot itself after a few seconds of releasing the button.

Now after you reset, everything goes back to default values and with the new 2678, LEVEL 2 CTF is still enabled by default but is now compatible with singtel fibre..

thanks got it work now. but one problem with mio voice.. do i need to plug in to LAN port 3? if yes i already did but my mio voice not working

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks got it work now. but one problem with mio voice.. do i need to plug in to LAN port 3? if yes i already did but my mio voice not working

How did you connect your Mio Voice previously? Can you provide the previous setup first?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ONT> Aztech ( with miotv and miotv with net)

I think maylyn is asking how u connect the aztech to ac87u?

Iirc, the lan3 of ac87u has to be connected to WAN of aztech. Then ur rj11 cable runs from the aztech router..

Correct me if I'm wrong.. lol

square

Reaction score
oh so if i wan my phone line connect to ont i need to call up singnet op? cause idun wanna to connect to aztech again D=

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
ONT> Aztech ( with miotv and miotv with net)

So you are first time using ASUS routers for SingTel Fiber? If so suggest you to call up SingTel customer support first to move the Mio Voice to the ONT. (Your ONT) should comes with 2x RJ11 telephone ports so you can totally remove your Aztech router from your setup. ASUS routers does not come with RJ11 telephone ports

Last edited:

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
I think maylyn is asking how u connect the aztech to ac87u?

Iirc, the lan3 of ac87u has to be connected to WAN of aztech. Then ur rj11 cable runs from the aztech router..

Correct me if I'm wrong.. lol

No ah.. Was asking him what is his existing setup :p :)

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh so if i wan my phone line connect to ont i need to call up singnet op? cause idun wanna to connect to aztech again D=

LOL. i was wondering how on earth you plug a telephone line to asus router.. -.-"

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.