[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks Simon, Andread, ASUS@SG & Dr_ARCHer for your input & suggestion :)

I've searched around the net and came up with this setup, not sure if it will work. Hope to get some guidance from the gurus here.

Bridging N66U (secondary router) to AC87U (main router) via Ethernet cable :

1. Connect N66U LAN port to PC LAN port
2. Change N66U IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2
3. Save settings
4. Login to N66U via 192.168.1.2
5. Untick DHCP
6. Assign new 2.4Ghz & 5GHz SSID for N66U (do I need to assign new SSIDs or can I use the same SSIDs as AC87U?)
7. Unplug N66U from PC
8. Connect N66U LAN Port to AC87U LAN Port
9. Place N66U in Living Room while AC87U remain in Bedroom 2

Will my daughter's (Bedroom 3) get stronger coverage now?

Here's the layout again for easy reference. Thanks much guys :)

floorplan_zps16f97687.jpg~original

Just set up N66 as an access point. You can choose either the same SSID or a different SSID for the N66 viz-a-viz the AC87.

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. last night finally done with the setup and wiring of my 2 x AC87.

The media bridge is not so strong for me. getting link speed of ard 780mbps only. But still much faster then my old setup using powerline.

As my room wireless signal is still not strong. I got one prolink WNR1004 small travel router to act as wireless AP connecting to one of the AC87 media bridge lan port.

But how come some device is unable to connect to it? as in its connected but alway having problem getting IP address for the unit and after that it DC.

I tried on my old setup with an old belkin router set as AP connected from my aztech powerline lan and previously all no issue.

I tried on the old belkin router connected tot he media bridge unit lan. having the same problem unable to obtain ip address and then dc.

bug in ac87 or wat setting i need to do?

thank you.

ISP--->AC87U---->(Media Bridge)AC87U----->1 x room pc lan port and 1 x to prolink WNR1004(For wireless AP within room - Set as AP cant obtain IP address from device. Set Prolink WNR1004 as router mode can have internet working but device are managed by the prolink and cant access the AC87U network)

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi JK,

Both 2.4Ghz signal were quite weak in her room, 5Ghz is like non-existence :(.

As I've no knowledge of how to setup a repeater, is it possible to guide me with step-by-step instructions :D Thanks!

floorplan_zps16f97687.jpg~original

Dear oric1,

You should place RT-AC87U or RT-N66U at the middle of Living room, so your wireless able to cover your whole house.

r7sg0nbb658fc0b6g.jpg

Best regard,
JK

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
JK,

Some bugs found in AIProtection on .2678.

I found that with Vulnerability Protection set to ON, my upload speedtest to MR and general speedtest servers will always hang at around 80-90% of upload leg.. and then proceed to timeout.

This always happen on Wireless Router LAN, 5Ghz wireless, and at PC in Media Bridge, to both speedtest.myrepublic.com.sg and speedtest.net:

'Max' Settings that allow full speedtest to be completed are:

- Malicious Site Blocking = ON
- Vulnerability Protection = OFF
- Infected Device Blocking and Prevention = ON (with gmail email notification)
- Web & Apps Filters = ON without any entry. Cant OFF it AND ON Malicious Site Blocking at same time.

Dear SimonLam,

Thank you for your feedback and your feedback is very important to us :)

However, Vulnerability Protection switch on will slow down internet speed, due to scanning every single inbound and out bound data.

Best regard,
JK

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hey guys right now My singtel router is doing. Can I make it as a wifi repeater or like a wifi adapter? How do I bridge it?

Dear Evildoctor,

Why would you still want to use singtel router?

You should replace Singtel router to ASUS router as a main router.

Best regard,
JK

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi. last night finally done with the setup and wiring of my 2 x AC87.

The media bridge is not so strong for me. getting link speed of ard 780mbps only. But still much faster then my old setup using powerline.

As my room wireless signal is still not strong. I got one prolink WNR1004 small travel router to act as wireless AP connecting to one of the AC87 media bridge lan port.

But how come some device is unable to connect to it? as in its connected but alway having problem getting IP address for the unit and after that it DC.

I tried on my old setup with an old belkin router set as AP connected from my aztech powerline lan and previously all no issue.

I tried on the old belkin router connected tot he media bridge unit lan. having the same problem unable to obtain ip address and then dc.

bug in ac87 or wat setting i need to do?

thank you.

ISP--->AC87U---->(Media Bridge)AC87U----->1 x room pc lan port and 1 x to prolink WNR1004(For wireless AP within room - Set as AP cant obtain IP address from device. Set Prolink WNR1004 as router mode can have internet working but device are managed by the prolink and cant access the AC87U network)

Dear cochran,

You mean

ISP >>> AC87U>> AC87U>> Prolink WNR1004 [AP]>>Devices

Why do you need Prolink WNR1004? when there are 2 extra port for lans.

Please provide both AC87U firmware version?

Best regard,
JK

evildoctor

Reaction score
Alright guys! Thanks for the advice. So I should get a laptop cooler and put the router on top of it?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Alright guys! Thanks for the advice. So I should get a laptop cooler and put the router on top of it?

no need no need. RMerlin mentioned in SNB that its warm to touch doesn't mean it is not designed to operate at that temperature..

Unless you got a lemon set, if not feel warm or hot is normal.. :)

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear cochran,

You mean

ISP >>> AC87U>> AC87U>> Prolink WNR1004 [AP]>>Devices

Why do you need Prolink WNR1004? when there are 2 extra port for lans.

Please provide both AC87U firmware version?

Best regard,
JK
Hi

I set up the Prolink WNR1004 as wireless access point for me to use my tablet, phone etc in my room as the wireless strength from the main AC87U in the hall is not strong enough.

I want to set the prolink as AP but the mobile device is unable to obtain IP address fr the AC87U. Then i set the prolink to router mode. its able to get internet access via the media bridge unit. meaning i cant have "access" to my other device connected to the main AC87U unit.

firmware latest 3.0.0.4.376_2678

evildoctor

Reaction score
no need no need. RMerlin mentioned in SNB that its warm to touch doesn't mean it is not designed to operate at that temperature..

Unless you got a lemon set, if not feel warm or hot is normal.. :)

Oh i see okay thanks! There's anther question i would like to ask the experts here, I have just bought a wifi repeater for a media players as the media does not have wifi built in. and the wifi repeater is a 300Mbps rated. For example, the wifi repeater is off and i still can connect to the asus wifi. Then when i on the wifi repeater, will my speed drop as the wifi repeater is only 300Mbps?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh i see okay thanks! There's anther question i would like to ask the experts here, I have just bought a wifi repeater for a media players as the media does not have wifi built in. and the wifi repeater is a 300Mbps rated. For example, the wifi repeater is off and i still can connect to the asus wifi. Then when i on the wifi repeater, will my speed drop as the wifi repeater is only 300Mbps?

If u connect to the repeater, yes the speed will drop..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.