[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Because he don't use IP Address to access config page but use a internally resolved DNS. But once you go AP mode DNS is off. I think.
Wait for his reply then ...

By the way I notice that in AP mode , I am not able to reach any domain name or the IP of the domain itself ...

Any work around for that ?

Updated : Problem solved . I have miss out the default gateway in 87U as my main router ....

Last edited:

lowpk

Reaction score
Dear owpk,

No ETA at the moment. We will release once the firmware is ready.

Link speed 20+mbps? what client are you using?

Best regard,
JK

Hi

Do you mean what wireless adapter i am using ?
I am using a dual band intel wireless network card that i was told by shop can support up to 1gbps. on the intel wireless connection manager i only get connection speed of 300 or 133 mbps only. Internet connection is about 20+ mbps based on speedtest.net

How do i check if i got the latest firmware? Any point to try and get the latest firmware ? My set is 1 month old from M1

davemishsr

Reaction score
I dont know about AC-87R but I am using AC-87U. Range I find so so. In areas where I can't receive signal with my Singtel Pace router, I cannot signal with the 87U either.

5ghz connect still face a lot of issues. I believe more bros will be able to explain
That is too bad and I am sorry to hear it. Have you tried using the NVRAM backup and restore utility available over at the Asus-Merlin forum at SNB? It allows you to use a USB stick to backup and restore your configuration settings with a couple a UNIX commands. That way you can perform a factory reset, enable telnet and run the utility. It saves hours of work in the web-based GUI. That is what I do and my AC87R (same exact hardware as the AC87U) is rock-solid stability-wise. Good luck!

PS: The AC87R is the same thing as the AC87U. The "R" designation simply means it was sold at Best Buy here in the US which was the first outlet to offer the AC87x here in the States. Also, my router never hangs or reboots, unless it receives an overnight update from TrendMicro.

Last edited:

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi

Do you mean what wireless adapter i am using ?
I am using a dual band intel wireless network card that i was told by shop can support up to 1gbps. on the intel wireless connection manager i only get connection speed of 300 or 133 mbps only. Internet connection is about 20+ mbps based on speedtest.net

How do i check if i got the latest firmware? Any point to try and get the latest firmware ? My set is 1 month old from M1

Dear lowpk,

Until now Intel haven't release any wireless card can support up to 1Gbps.

Please do not use speedtest as benchmark, as it's do not reflect in real time usage.

I am on M1 200mbps plan without any problem playing 1080p video from 25 meter away with intel ac 7260 chipset 5Ghz.

Open your internet browser type in 192.168.1.1 password and user name default is admin, check your firmware version. on top of the router menu.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-

Best regard,
JK

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Dear all,

We are testing on phase 6 firmware to testing on vlan loop back, WPS and others bug.

Best regard,
JK

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asus, try to help us by at least allowing basic users to have a consistent connection to 5G first. At times it just stop working and we have to disconnect and reconnection. Happen to all device including iPhone 6+, window 8 tablet, MacBook Pro.

Will appreciate if this is fixed before you fix the rest of the fancy features. 87U is a flagship product where it is awesome if it works and a piece of white elephant if things doesn't work. No point owning a Ferrari with a powerful engine that can hit a speed of 200km/ hr easily but at times cant even travel at 5km/hr. Haha! Even those riding bicycle will laugh....

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asus, try to help us by at least allowing basic users to have a consistent connection to 5G first. At times it just stop working and we have to disconnect and reconnection. Happen to all device including iPhone 6+, window 8 tablet, MacBook Pro.

Will appreciate if this is fixed before you fix the rest of the fancy features. 87U is a flagship product where it is awesome if it works and a piece of white elephant if things doesn't work. No point owning a Ferrari with a powerful engine that can hit a speed of 200km/ hr easily but at times cant even travel at 5km/hr. Haha! Even those riding bicycle will laugh....
Do you have another router so that to connect up the 87U as a AP to test out ??

When I first install the AC87U, it was also in Router mode and I do not have any issue with NOTE2, NOTE3 , XM NOTE4G and forgot to add also my Macbook Pro.

The issues I encountered on 5Ghz were on 2x windows laptops which 1 was missing SSID and 1 was limited connection.

When I switched to AP mode I still have the issue until I update the driver for both the windows laptop and all were resolved.

It seem like your set by default already 5G not able to work with all devices well?

You can see my firmware version in the above picture.

Last edited:

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using the official release firmware. For iPhone etc, it is showing connected but nothing moves. Window used to have limited connection but after updating intel firmware, didn't see the limited connection but in actual fact can connect or not is another question

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
What do you mean by cannot access router page ?

When in AP mode ... I can still configure as shown below ..

NiGIFx3.png

ya I cant access router page by typing router.asus.com in my browser. whereas if I run in router mode, I can. my asus is connected to a tplink gigabit router in the hdb utility box.

so yea the 5ghz issue persist.

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
Do you have another router so that to connect up the 87U as a AP to test out ??

When I first install the AC87U, it was also in Router mode and I do not have any issue with NOTE2, NOTE3 , XM NOTE4G and forgot to add also my Macbook Pro.

The issues I encountered on 5Ghz were on 2x windows laptops which 1 was missing SSID and 1 was limited connection.

When I switched to AP mode I still have the issue until I update the driver for both the windows laptop and all were resolved.

It seem like your set by default already 5G not able to work with all devices well?

You can see my firmware version in the above picture.

not sure about that poster but I'm already on AP mode since day 1. wifi connectivity often drops even though the bar is there, no internet connection. Have to connect and disconnect. Very random, timing does not tally with the vlan error on the router's log.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not sure about that poster but I'm already on AP mode since day 1. wifi connectivity often drops even though the bar is there, no internet connection. Have to connect and disconnect. Very random, timing does not tally with the vlan error on the router's log.

Ya. Face same problem as yours

legolaz

Reaction score
If u see my previous post, I am also facing the Internet connection problem while using under AP mode. In fact, i am now testing it under router mode to see if situation improves.

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Ya. Face same problem as yours

If u see my previous post, I am also facing the Internet connection problem while using under AP mode. In fact, i am now testing it under router mode to see if situation improves.

Seem like my set of a "good" set that in AP mode it work very well with these tested

1) NOTE2
2) NOTE3
3) XM NOTE4G
4) DELL WIN LAPTOP (Wireless LAN driver updated no more SSID disappear)
5) Toshiba Laptop (Wireless LAN driver updated no more limited internet)
6) NEW IPAD
7) IPhone 5
8) S5
9) MacBook Pro

Why huh ?????? certain batch of HW issue ??
in fact when I am in Router mode I don't have issue except laptop driver need to be updated.

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ya I cant access router page by typing router.asus.com in my browser. whereas if I run in router mode, I can. my asus is connected to a tplink gigabit router in the hdb utility box.

so yea the 5ghz issue persist.
Go by IP address lah .........

Tiger-in-the-woods

Reaction score
Hi JK or any 87U experts

Following your advice, I downloaded the latest firware for my 87U. It is good! However... when I did a speedtest (know you said that that is not accurate... but at least it is a common testing tool), I have different results between wireless and Lan cable

-On my Win 8.1 laptop, when connected to LAN cable, the download speed was 400+ Mbps; however, the upload spped was about 1.2 Mbps. (ran about 4 times to check the upload speed.. almost fainted when I first saw it)
- Same laptop connected to wireless (5G), download speed was abt 170 Mbps, upload was 240+ Mbps
- My other Vista laptop, speed for download and upload was abt the same, abt 90+ Mbps.

Why this upload issue using Lan cable? Any remedy? Thanks

Last edited:

trichard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
also cannot. that is why there is an asus discovery tool software to detect router page if u are on ap mode. if not why asus create that software for? -_-
Huh ?........ also cannot ?..... in AP mode the 87U should be in the same subnet as your laptop ... why cannot ?

rajnata

Reaction score
Internet Drop Outs

I have been having some real issues with the Asus RT-AC87U and am hoping someone can help.
I have 2 units -
Router - 192.168.100.1
Access Point 192.168.100.2

This is a non-complicated home network setup. Both units are wired into a Cisco Switch and I am with ViewQwest 1GBps Fiber.
Every 2 hours, the Router will hang and internet will drop. At that point, I cannot even ping the router. Manual Reboot addresses the issue. Confirmed it's not the ISP since I don't have to reboot the Fiber Modem when this happens.
I have upgraded both units today to the latest FW 3.0.0.4.378_3754
I continue to get the below in the Sys Log on both units
Router Log
Jan 10 19:35:53 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:38:31 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:40:37 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:43:49 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:54:55 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:55:41 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

Access Point Log
Jan 10 19:30:10 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:30:19 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:30:42 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:35:04 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:35:26 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:35:45 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:35:47 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:35:54 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:37:01 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:38:14 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:38:48 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:41:12 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:41:21 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:48:28 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:48:43 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:51:16 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Jan 10 19:55:17 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

Anyone know what is going on? Can the Asus person on this thread please help? Its typically after a bunch of these messages in the Log is when the Router will stop routing and I have an outage. To be fair, I have only just upgraded the FW this evening and it has yet to hang but the logs are filling up.
Please help or I might be advertising some cheap AC87s soon :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.