media devices hdmi -> TV -> eARC to AVR. OR devices to AVR -> hdmi to TV ?

deadrick

Master Member
Reaction score
im just curious about what set up is more recommended now considering that most TV has native netflix and youtube app that we uses quite often as well. i have only tried tv app to soundbar, but not AVR.

what are the differences between
1) connecting all devices out to your TV, then 1 eARC out to your AVR for sound.
VS
2) my current connection, which is all devices out to AVR, then AVR out to TV.

i dont quite understand if option 1 or 2 is a better choice?
does 1 option ensure a better sound quality?

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Unless you have a HDMI 2.1 TV and a HDMI 2.1 output device like a PS5/XSX or PC RTX 3000 series card, you honestly do not have to worry about method 1.

Method 2 will be the way to go. The purpose of the AVR is so that you can connect as many devices through it and then have just 1 cable run up to your TV to its ARC/eARC port. It's an elegant solution.

A majority of streaming devices do not have such a high bandwidth. Their audio bitrate do not exceed that of the typical ARC that is 1Mbps. Netflix uses 768kbps at most for its 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus container with Atmos. So as mentioned, it will fit into your ARC channel without any problems.

So with method 2, you can connect all your devices through the AVR and then depend on just ARC or eARC if you have it that will send any TV based audio through it such as Netflix apps or any devices that you route to your TV and then send to the AVR.

As mentioned, method 1 is when you have a HDMI 2.1 device and a HDMI 2.1 TV but not a HDMI 2.1 AVR and therefore, need to route your HDMI 2.1 devices through to TV and then depend on eARC to get lossless audio to the AVR from the TV.

You can refer to this thread for more info. I also added my own input on the 6th post on that thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/all-about-arc-earc-and-hdmi-connections.6314641/

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Method 2. Feed all ur devices into AVR and 1 HDMI out to TV
Not necessary true

For serious gamers they would like to feed their gaming devices directly to the tv to reduce lag going through a middle device like an AVR or switch even though such devices advertised themselves as having no lag.........which is untrue

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Well... there is no true or untrue here. Cos some are just recommending their preference for their own devices.

But yes some people do plug gaming consoles straight to TV to reduce lag. Effective / necessary or not I dunno. I plug my ps4 console into avr. I don't feel/hear any problem when playing first person shooter game like call of duty ww2. Guess best is try for yourself.

Last edited:

deadrick

Master Member
Reaction score
i have tried both methods and both seems fine, and no audio lag.
Just that some of my media player source cant output the correct audio via tv.
so back to connecting to AVR.

deadrick

Master Member
Reaction score
another issue i have is the ARC working only when my media player HDMI is not connected to my receiver
so currently i just use the tv app for netflix and youtube, ARC will work as long as the mediaplayer are not connected to my receiver.
If i connect the external device, ARC stopped working and detecting. weird problem.
bluray player seems fine even when connected, just my media player causing this issue.

keep needing to unplug the hdmi for mediaplayer for ARC to work.
power off the mediaplayer is still the same. tried different hdmi cables and still the same.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
U sure u made all the correct settings? Sounds like something to do with hdmi or video setup issue. Is it setup for 4k enhanced or standard or something? Could be tv setting, avr setting or player setting. Best check all.

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
another issue i have is the ARC working only when my media player HDMI is not connected to my receiver
so currently i just use the tv app for netflix and youtube, ARC will work as long as the mediaplayer are not connected to my receiver.
If i connect the external device, ARC stopped working and detecting. weird problem.
bluray player seems fine even when connected, just my media player causing this issue.

keep needing to unplug the hdmi for mediaplayer for ARC to work.
power off the mediaplayer is still the same. tried different hdmi cables and still the same.

Not sure if I got what u mentioned correctly.

ARC is audio return channel.

AV fed into the TV and the audio component gets passed out of TV to e.g AVR.

If your media player is connected to TV, ARC should rightfully pass Audio to ur AVR

But if your media player is connected to AVR, there is no need for ARC to be active.

In general I would just pass all AV playback devices into AVR and let the AVR do the heavy lifting. As for your Blu-ray player, ARC cannot carry the lossless audio, you will require eARC, and hence would be best you connect to AVR directly.

deadrick

Master Member
Reaction score

If your media player is connected to TV, ARC should rightfully pass Audio to ur AVR

But if your media player is connected to AVR, there is no need for ARC to be active.

In general I would just pass all AV playback devices into AVR and let the AVR do the heavy lifting. As for your Blu-ray player, ARC cannot carry the lossless audio, you will require eARC, and hence would be best you connect to

In general I would just pass all AV playback devices into AVR and let the AVR do the heavy lifting. As for your Blu-ray player, ARC cannot carry the lossless audio, you will require eARC, and hence would be best you connect to AVR directly.
Sorry for my messy English. Lol.

I mean if media player connected to avr, and I use tv app, arc wouldnt work, it wouldn't even detect arc is connected.
Only way for arc to work is to unplug the hdmi to my media player. Even if I off the media player power doesn't make arc work.

So long the media player hdmi is connected to avr, TV can't detect arc.
It's weird. Not sure why also. Tried diff avr input still the same.

deadrick

Master Member
Reaction score
Pls make sure u dont have both optical and hdmi connected at the same time.
Nope. Just purely hdmi. How my TV set up is

Smart TV hdmi arc out to avr.
Media player hdmi out to avr.
Blu-ray player hdmi out to avr.

Arc works only when I unplug media player hdmi. If connected, arc doesn't work when I use tv app for Netflix.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
Nope. Just purely hdmi. How my TV set up is

Smart TV hdmi arc out to avr.
Media player hdmi out to avr.
Blu-ray player hdmi out to avr.

Arc works only when I unplug media player hdmi. If connected, arc doesn't work when I use tv app for Netflix.
U checked settings on every part of the chain?

SyncGuy

Reaction score
Compare which of the 2 devices can passthrough the features that you want.

Decide from there.

Hint: Usually the more you pay for the respective devices, the more features it can passthrough.

SyncGuy

Reaction score
Your media player is? Android-based OS?
Coz i tend to find that such Android/android-based OS always "fight" for ARC signal.. try this, don't unplug but just switch off the media devices at the power socket.

I discovered this every time either on my Popsical devices, the new Starhub media box, or my Android-based OS media box is switched on at the socket.

deadrick

Master Member
Reaction score
Your media player is? Android-based OS?
Coz i tend to find that such Android/android-based OS always "fight" for ARC signal.. try this, don't unplug but just switch off the media devices at the power socket.

I discovered this every time either on my Popsical devices, the new Starhub media box, or my Android-based OS media box is switched on at the socket.
didnt work. switching off the media device power still cause the issue of TV not detecting ARC with receiver.
Anyway i sold that media device, and bought a shield tv. no issue now.
just shield and bluray player connect to receiver, netflix using tv app ARC to receiver. all working fine!

i guess the media player somehow causing the ARC issue but no idea how.

Darkshadows

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious, is there a reason why you don't use the Netflix app inside Shield?

For me, I don't use any of the apps in my Samsung TV and all my apps will be in Shield. I connect everything to receiver and HDMI output to TV (non-ARC) and sound system.

deadrick

Master Member
Reaction score
Just curious, is there a reason why you don't use the Netflix app inside Shield?

For me, I don't use any of the apps in my Samsung TV and all my apps will be in Shield. I connect everything to receiver and HDMI output to TV (non-ARC) and sound system.

receiver abit outdated liao. cant pass thru Dolby vision.

netflix in shield will display SDR for those with HDR or 4k, then i need to manually change the setting to HDR but the whole device will force HDR, which makes the whole display not natural.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.