Melbourne - Must buy/eat

AL22DA

Reaction score
Probably the bratwurst sausage at the corner.. always a must try.

There's a food truck selling mussels which is cooked on the spot as well, hopefully it's still there

yums! the moment i reach i'm going to conquer QVM first for food! :s13:

LaiHam

Reaction score
yeah, i'm doing some research for my itinerary to only realise that the QVM night market is only until 23 Oct. but I will only be there on the first week of Nov.
i love mussel! :s12:
well.. QV summer night market starts 3rd week Nov (Weds)... just diff themes but mainly the food more or less same.

AL22DA

Reaction score
The pastry place (agatha) at South melbourne is much better in terms of croissant.. personally

really? I will check that out then cause i'm going on day 2 to the South Melbourne Market for lunch for the OYSTERS :s12::s8:

AL22DA

Reaction score
Yeah, that name is everywhere now. Some are better than others.

It's well loved by a lot of people. Go early though, choices can run out during the day.

The Springvale store almost always have a queue on weekends (I don't go past there on weekdays). 10-20 mins is the norm.

The paella at the QVM on night markets is Simply Spanish - the same one as the South Melbourne one. This "branch" is quite ok.

Tourists focus a lot on Phillip Island itself but often neglect San Remo just over the bridge so it's worth keeping in mind that something you need/want may also be readily available on the mainland.

I will go as early as 8am for it :p

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
really? I will check that out then cause i'm going on day 2 to the South Melbourne Market for lunch for the OYSTERS :s12::s8:

Go earlier, before lunch and on a weekday preferably...

Wonderstruck

Reaction score
I'll be going melbourne in may so if anyone still has great recommendations, do keep them coming. Best if food is more on budget side and still MUST try.

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
no updates but better go queen vic market soonest....it is going to be closed for 3 year million dollar upgrade.

I only knw about it as headline, i have no other details

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no updates but better go queen vic market soonest....it is going to be closed for 3 year million dollar upgrade.

I only knw about it as headline, i have no other details

Don't think it will close la, just know that there's development around its area..

if close, the traders will riot..

darkelf

Reaction score
will be going to melbourne in coming May.
what is the average cost of a meal there? 10-15 sgd? is it more ex than Tokyo japan?

awhw

Reaction score
what is the average cost of a meal there? 10-15 sgd? is it more ex than Tokyo japan?

Yes, excluding drink. Chinese eateries will provide Chinese tea for free. Sometimes even soup, during dinner time.

I feel that Tokyo would be slightly cheaper.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are there any Australian dishes that you recommended?

There's not really an official australian dish..

chicken parma, schnitzel and meat pies are served up in pub which the locals always go for..

Personally not a fan of them..

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
If you're in a bakery, you can look for a piece of vanilla slice or a lamington as well. You can also look for things like kangaroo, wallaby, or emu. Not easy to find, I suppose, hardly anyone eat them either, but at least you're eating Australian wildlife.

Ekspakk

Reaction score
I feel main difference is that there are more choices in Japan if you are on a budget, but taste is still good. In Melbourne, minimum 10-15 SGD, and most of the time they are just okay.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.