Mesh Question

evildoer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just move in a new place.. (resales)

all of the room have an ethernet port. so i subscribe to singtel. they were there on last saturday to set up the internet..

however i wasn't at home.. that technician did not help set up and test the ethernet make sure wired connection is working. Then i use a very long RJ45 cable to connect my pc to the living room router and it work. Maybe my ethernet port has some problem .

My PC in my room do not have any wireless adapter and i prefer my gaming console to run wired too..

will a Mesh help me ?

but i read the mesh's ethernet port is for backhaul..

so my question is

1) if i buy a mesh system and connect the cable to my pc will it work ?

2) if it work , does it work as good as it is wired ?

blurnard

Reaction score
i just move in a new place.. (resales)

all of the room have an ethernet port. so i subscribe to singtel. they were there on last saturday to set up the internet..

however i wasn't at home.. that technician did not help set up and test the ethernet make sure wired connection is working. Then i use a very long RJ45 cable to connect my pc to the living room router and it work. Maybe my ethernet port has some problem .

My PC in my room do not have any wireless adapter and i prefer my gaming console to run wired too..

will a Mesh help me ?

but i read the mesh's ethernet port is for backhaul..

so my question is

1) if i buy a mesh system and connect the cable to my pc will it work ?

2) if it work , does it work as good as it is wired ?
For your resale home, do you have a DB box where all the circuit breaker and fibre point is? If yes, then you might be better off getting a Ethernet switch to split the connection to the various LAN end points.

It should be ONT -->Switch -->to the ethernet panel in the db box

evildoer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For your resale home, do you have a DB box where all the circuit breaker and fibre point is? If yes, then you might be better off getting a Ethernet switch to split the connection to the various LAN end points.

It should be ONT -->Switch -->to the ethernet panel in the db box
yes there is a lot of cable there.. i think there is a switch box.. but i can not figure out why it cannot work..

i will post a photo tonight when i get home

tingsters

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes there is a lot of cable there.. i think there is a switch box.. but i can not figure out why it cannot work..

i will post a photo tonight when i get home
pls check yours is ONT or ONTR..
i rem now singtel only issue out ontr...

the connection
ONTR -> switch -> rooms ports/panel in the db box.

BradenHeat

Master Member
Reaction score
btw,

if im not mistaken, if all rooms only have 1 lan port, it is likely all linked back to your Box in the storeroom, near the fiber point.

that means
Fiber point - to -> fiber router - to -> wireless router

all these within the same [ cabinet, where all the rooms port link back ]

likely is due to the fact, if you hook the router [ asus or anything else ] to one of the ports, at one of the rooms or living room, the router from the ISP [ fiber one ] can only assign the DHCP IP to that one port

thus if you hook up another device to that LAN port, to another room likely will not have Network

evildoer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can anyone teach me how to connect ? none of my room ethernet port works..

blurnard

Reaction score

I think you have connected it wrongly..

I am no expert with singtel's ont...but I believe that the port 2 on the ont is not activate.

Currently your wifi works right? the ont is connected to the singtel wifi router...

This wifi router should have lan ports for you to connect.

So you need 4 lan cables from the wifi router and connect it individually to the D1 to D4

evildoer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am no expert with singtel's ont...but I believe that the port 2 on the ont is not activate.

Currently your wifi works right? the ont is connected to the singtel wifi router...

So you need 4 lan cables from the wifi router and connect it individually to the D1 to D4
yes my wifi .. but all my room ethernet port is does not work

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

ONR > patch panel > all rooms data points > router ( install in preferred room )

Last edited:

tingsters

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@evildoer since u say your wifi works, can you try use a laptop to connect directly to the wifi router lan ports and see got internet connection?

then can ask what is port 2 connect to?

blurnard

Reaction score
@evildoer since u say your wifi works, can you try use a laptop to connect directly to the wifi router lan ports and see got internet connection?

then can ask what is port 2 connect to?
not sure for Singtel

But for starhub it is reserved for their tv services.

evildoer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i tried this, and it didn't work. but i should say i have only try my room as i am the only one need wired connection..

or i should do this ?

uncle_josh

Reaction score
i tried this, and it didn't work. but i should say i have only try my room as i am the only one need wired connection..

or i should do this ?

that's a patch panel.
you need to connect the right side ports to a network switch while the left side is to the rooms.

evildoer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
that's a patch panel.
you need to connect the right side ports to a network switch while the left side is to the rooms.

i think i get it now.. i will try tonite again ..
i need RJ45 cable to connect the D Side
T1 Goes with D1 and so on

tingsters

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh this is another possibility i should connect the d side to the router point..
u get a laptop or borrow from someone and try connecting directly router point .. test all LAN1,2,3,4 make sure got internet
then plugging in to the router point to d

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.