Missing cusine in singapore

MisterLim001

Banned
Reaction score
There's malay, indian, South-east-Asian, China, Indo, Western food...

What other countries' food is not in Singapore yet?

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
There's malay, indian, South-east-Asian, China, Indo, Western food...

What other countries' food is not in Singapore yet?

Answer - bunch of. And 'western' food is hm... how would I say... like sushi in North Dakota, if you understand, what I mean...

However, it is not great loss because Singapore offers one of the greatest variety of world cuisine - in line with NY and San Francisco.

DarthRevan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how about Caribbean cuisine? currently from what I knew..only Lime House in Chinatown offers that

kampong boi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Portuguese cuisine is very salty, I first had it in Macau then later Portugal :s22:

New Zealand also have a different cuisine :o

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
And anybody can tell me where I can have real burritos and quesadillas as well as real hummus I will personally say thank you.

BTW regarding african cuisine - Ethiopian is missing as well.

P.S. I am not talking about north/south Caucasian cuisine, but most people are not aware of that unless they've been there already.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is "Western" cuisine? :s13:

There are so many "Western" countries and their cuisine is totally different from each other. American, British, Canadian, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian, etc etc etc.

I find the term "Western" food is severely misused in Singapore.

k0sm0s

Reaction score
And anybody can tell me where I can have real burritos and quesadillas as well as real hummus I will personally say thank you.

Not sure if it's good enough for you, but there's Baja Fresh at Dhoby Gaut, which is a Mexican food chain in America.
I find it decent enough, but my only experience with Mexican food was the few months I spent in America.
The burrito was very filling which is what I expected from a branch that's faithful to it's (american) origins? The price was around $18.

What is "Western" cuisine? :s13:

There are so many "Western" countries and their cuisine is totally different from each other. American, British, Canadian, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian, etc etc etc.

I find the term "Western" food is severely misused in Singapore.

yeah, it's misused but I still really like our 'western' food as it's simple and good. I think it originated from British cuisine?

Our 'japanese' food is also horrible. It's so inaccurate and off. All the Japanese people I know hated it when they first ordered it haha.
Luckily nowadays we attracting a lot of Japanese shops. The thing we still missing is a gyudon shop like in Japan one.

Last edited:

nady2015

Reaction score
yeah, it's misused but I still really like our 'western' food as it's simple and good. I think it originated from British cuisine?

Singapore used to be an important colony in the British Empire, and tens of thousands of soldiers and naval enlistees were based here. However, many of the support personnel were locally hired – clerks, storemen, drivers and cooks.

For some reason unknown to me, many of the cooks hired were immigrants from Hainan. Well, actually, I can postulate one reason why they were not Cantonese, Teochew or Hokkien, for these other communities – and they were more numerous too – had stronger trading and entrepreneurial cultures. Many from their communities set up their own businesses which then tended to hire their own. The Hainanese could possibly have been more content to draw a salary from British paymasters. [1]

But once the Hainanese got a foot into the mess kitchens, they tended to own it, for in those days, employment was often by way of personal recommendation. Should there be a new position on offer, the incumbent cook would recommend his brother, nephew or some fresh immigrant from the same village in Hainan. So the Western kitchen became a province of the Hainanese.

As you would expect, cooking for a mess hall did not exactly stretch one’s culinary repertory. And cooking for working class English, Scottish or Welsh lads meant even more circumscribed possibilities.

Gradually, some of these Hainanese cooks moved out to work for private sector employers, such as hotels. A few even ventured to open their own restaurants. But since the clientele was still mainly British, if a tad more upper-crust, one couldn’t stray too far from the old formula. Perhaps minestrone soup, or boiled broccoli might be helpful additions. Perhaps cheesecake might be needed to please the civil-servant class, instead of the biscuit that the corporals had with the tea.

Once out into the private sector, small numbers of Chinese and Indian Singaporeans began to patronise these restaurants. Fresh out from being a colony, in the 1960s, there was still a lot of prestige attached to the British lifestyle. The superior race lived like this and ate this kind of food. Well, we should acquire a taste for it if we’re to get up in this world.
Not that it ever really was Western food. There was something Chinese about it. I've once wondered if there was any distinction to be made between the brown sauce on the chicken cutlet, and the brown sauce found on stir-fried chicken, Chinese-style.

yax-313 Hainanese food - a taste of Singapore

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So technically its Hainanese-Western food. :s13:

The Brits definitely don't bread their fish, they batter it. Wonder whose idea it was to bread it. And I'm pretty sure they don't have chicken chop, at least not cooked in this way, in the US or UK.

Spidie

Reaction score
African Food in Jalan Berseh Food Centre

I think there is African Cusine in Jalan Berseh Food centre at level 1. Went there on Monday and saw a few Africa people eating there. Anyone interested can check it out there. Its at the corner near the staircase area.

nady2015

Reaction score
I think there is African Cusine in Jalan Berseh Food centre at level 1. Went there on Monday and saw a few Africa people eating there. Anyone interested can check it out there. Its at the corner near the staircase area.

10393762_10153213173013327_1175967678632387755_n.jpg

curiosity_20

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tibetian Cuisine,
Eastern Europe Cuisine,
Afghan Cuisine,
Argentina Cuisine,
Chile Cuisine,

You name it!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.