Must read : Time Share Scam Awareness! Don't be the next victim!

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
apparently time-share has been around in singapore for quite a number of years but there is very little public awareness .... only 1 or 2 newspapers articles on their dealings ...

do share with your friends and families!

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no problem

if you have gone through the 2 sites and found them informative, pls help to up the thread so there is more awareness!!

Anyone could be the next victim!

moonrei

Reaction score
The guy from Oriental travel just called me back and asked if I could go fro talk on Sunday. I just said "I am not interested". Without hesitation he put down the phone without persuading me. I think he sensed I saw through him. I had no chance to launch my missiles to him on what I found out about their company and cheating ways from the net. wasted.

Should make this a sticky here to protect everybody here...

Thanks once again. Tazzycorner

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the thread on oriental travels taken from the forum :

http://www.voy.com/161450/13.html

-------------------------------------------

Good that a website is finally up regarding such unscrupulous timeshare companies. Congratulations to the webmaster.

I would like to relate our experience, to warn others regarding the tactics used by such time-share companies.

Our experience is with Orient Travels, which their office was located at Wheelock Place.

Both me and my wife was stopped just outside Mariott Hotel during our trip to Orchard. A young lady stopped us and ask us whether we are a couple, one of us must be 30 years and above, and whether we possess credit cards. She then passed us a lucky draw coupon which upon opening, stated that we had won a $20 gift vocher or free trip to Genting Highlands from Isetan.

However, in order to collect the prize, we have to attend a no-obligations presentation on their company's attractive travel packages. We were led to Orient Travel. We were then sit in to listen to the presentation. It was much longer than the 1 hour promised by them. There was a sales guy, attached to us. Prior to the presentation, he briefed us on the benefits, and we enquired about the cost. He refused to reveal the cost.

When the presentation started, the presenter attempts to make some jokes. He categorically stated that they are not a "time-share" company, but a company involves in making holiday travel packages much cheaper for members. They did not advertise, as advertisement costs are too expensive. Such packages are a much more attractive option. Satisfied customers words or walking advertisements are much better. What a whole bull of crap it eventually turned out later!

He further show the whole presentation on how much a typical 5-star resort stay cost, and how much travel agents charged, which is unwarranted. Orient Travel, which is affiliated to Golden Crown Resorts Group is a large organization originally created for business travellers to enjoy rebates on hotel and travel bookings, but later extended to the public. We can get 30 - 50% discounts just by purchasing travel packages thru' them.

After the presentation, the sales presenter then try to hard-sell us the packages. We balk at the huge amount for membership. Originally, he was discussing membership at S$40 000 (Gold membership), then reduced to S$30 000 (Silver membership). Around us, there are some who raised their hands, stating that they will sign the membership. A guy would come up to the podium and congratulate the couple. For those who sign-up on the spot that day, would win a 9 days trip either to South Africa, Spain, Bali....etc. The first few would also be promised additional, if I remember correctly, another 5 or 7 days trip to a special destination. We were hesitant. I admit, I was tempted, but we had just got married and do not have much cash. Then a sales manager came and talk to us, where he keep telling us the benefits. The cost of membership came down to S$20 000 (Bronze membership). We can upgrade our membership later. These memberships is for a period of 10 years. If we couldn't pay, we can pay via interest-free instalments.

As the amount are huge, we stated we need to think about it. The sales manager continued it's hard-selling. We were brought to a number of computers showing the look-of-the-resorts, we may stay in. There was also a money-back "guarantee" for those signing up for the Gold membership, where at the end of 10 years, part of the membership we deposited into Orient Travel, the interest from the banks will be returned to us, which may amount to more than S$10 000.

I was tempted, but fortunately, my wife, who even though love to travel, was more pragmatic. She pulled my arms and whispered to me not to sign, as she feel something fishy. This deal is too good to be true. I then asked the sales manager to let me have 3 days to consider, which he then replied that the offer is only for today. Once I stepped out of the office, the offer is gone. Upon hearing that, I resolved not to sign. Any deals which will not be valid once one stepped out, is deemed very fishy to me. Fearing that this is a trap, both of us then stated we made our decision not to sign. We were then ushered to the counter, and collected our vocher. We did not opt for the Genting Highlands trip, as we upon looking behind the terms and conditions of the lucky draw coupon stated that we may have to attend another of such sales presentation over there, at Genting Highlands.

When we left for the lift, the sales presenter came out, with a very worried or stressful face, which we immediately noticed. These symptoms, made us feeling that something must be wrong. It was later, thru conversation with one of my friend, who was duped into a time-sharing company that I finally realized the scheme.

Fortunately, my wife was more sensible during that time, else I may end up giving in to my temptation. On hindsight, I have a gut feeling, which I do not know whether it is true or not, after the whole incident, when I stopped to think carefully, some of those who raised their hands to sign up for the packages, may be their own employees, posing as a couple.

I still remembered the worried look at the sales presenter's face. I don't get why he have such a worried look, when he did not do anything "wrong"?

By listing what had actually transpired throughout, and our whole ordeal. We would like to warn others to be wary of such tactics by such purported, "non time-share" companies such as Orient Travel. I consider myself lucky, because I have my pragmatic wife to wake me up. I just hope that more people do not fall for such elaborate schemes in future. For those who do, I support your motion to blacklist these companies and try to get back the money they owed, as these are high-pressure sales tactics they adopted, which are morally wrong.

Thanks

Edwin

jsbn

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
upz. Mods can make it a sticky to spread da awareness? :D

ahber79

Reaction score
attended the presentation by them today. Lucky never take up their offer.

Here's another link to have a look:
http://www.crimeshare.net/63.html

Now I have to be cruel to those Orchard Road surveyors and not do their surveys.

Here's something I got from a website:

If you are not a victim yet:

In order that you not make yourself susceptible to timeshare/holiday club scams,

• Do not respond to unsolicited invitations, either by mail, email or via telephone, that tell you you've won a prize at a lucky draw and that you have to come down to collect it. be extremely skeptical.*Don't be tempted. Tell them "You can keep the prize for yourself, I don't want it". Slam the phone after that.
  • Do you respond to people with scratch cards along Orchard Road asking you to do that survey on "which is your favourite shopping centre". It's their means of recruiting potential victims. Do not sympathize with the kids who tell you they need to earn that commission from each survey. Just brush them away or tell them in the face, "I know your company and everything it does".
  • Even if you have done the survey, and done the scratch card, do not believe them when they tell you you've won a prize.*They are extremely good actors/actresses.
  • If you find you have been tricked into going to the presentation longer than what you have agreed(45min), follow your instincts and walk out. They have no right to detain you. You can report them to the police for false imprisonment.
  • If they threaten you (eg. "give me your money or you can't leave"), you can report them to the police for assault.
  • Do not leave sight of your credit card at any time..esp when they say they need your card to check if the last 4 digits correspond to their lucky draw numbers, or if they say they will help you check your credit limit. They may have swiped your card without you knowing.
  • Do not give them your credit card before you have examined the contract and decided you wish to sign. Their trick is to swipe your card first and then force you to sign (afterall, the money is already in their hands). If they took your card before you have seen the contract, you still have the right to refuse to sign.
  • Be careful about accepting drinks which could affect your judgment.
  • Remember that gifts which appear to be valuable (e.g. free holidays) may not be "free". Closer inspection of those 1 week free vacation passes reveal that you have to attend another timeshare presentation once you are there.
    Do not sign on the agreement on the spot, without taking it home to analyze. Consult your family and friends and be sure you know what you are buying.
  • Do not sign without read all the fine print (on both sides) and don't sign unless everything your salesperson told you is included in writing. If he said you can utilize the membership after 25% of the contract sum has been paid and it says 50% on the contract, ask them why and insist on having that term on the contract. Do not believe them when they say it's already in their computer system.If your salesperson did not mention maintenance fees and you see it on your contract, do not sign, as you have not been given sufficient information at the point of sales.
  • Ask lots of questions and don't stop until you're completely clear on all the details. This is a big investment, so take your time and not let anyone rush you. If at any time, you feel things are not right, just walk out and leave.

yuliawang

Reaction score
if im not wrong, they were called empire resorts holdings instead9tat was yrs ago, when im still 18, i applied for a job as telesales, boy the pay was good, 1hr 8 bucks, 1 person come down u'll get additional 3 bucks, if he sign up, its 30 bucks extra and if its couples, addition 10 bucks and 80 bucks when they sign up, the job scope is juz to do cold calling and leave the rest up to the sales dept, lol , i was tempted as the gals working there quite swee leh but didnt take p da job in the end as the $$ sounds too good to be true haha

irvinchua

Reaction score
hmm i had a fren who worked as the surveyor... she was kind in the sense she told those ppl who did the survey to juz go for tok, get free presents and zao, no matter wat dun sign up... so is like a win win situation...

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
irvinchua said:
hmm i had a fren who worked as the surveyor... she was kind in the sense she told those ppl who did the survey to juz go for tok, get free presents and zao, no matter wat dun sign up... so is like a win win situation...

at least she has some "heart"
else, she would be doing innocent people unjust :/

moonrei

Reaction score
All good advice I just hope that one day the newspapers will take issues of these surveyors , oriental travel etc.

Chao_Monkey

Banned
Reaction score
there already have reports on these issue in ST before..... just that still alot of people get conned cause of greed

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would say not really greed ... but ignorance

if you read the threads at the forum, you will know that these people use hard sell presurising tactics
i think they know how to brainwash you

Chao_Monkey

Banned
Reaction score
tazzycorner said:
I would say not really greed ... but ignorance

if you read the threads at the forum, you will know that these people use hard sell presurising tactics
i think they know how to brainwash you

hmm...maybe itz a different point of view in this issue?.....

to me, those ppl who didn't know about such companies, they might go into the office and sat for the long talk....that's ignorance...they might be pressurized into the deal...but they know that can walk out the office anytime they want.... ..this is what i don't get..why would they want to stay on?..the only reason i can think of is greed (to collect the prize they already 'won' during the street survey)

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it is just the way the salesman con their victims about the hugh "savings" from signing up their plans ... they claim travel prices will increase over the next 15 years ... and buying their package will lock the price at the current rate

what they didnt reveal is that besides paying the hefty membership fees, the yearly subscription fees can also increase over the years

I think they also plant other "buyers" in there to trick you into believing that u got a great deal

Chao_Monkey

Banned
Reaction score
tazzycorner said:
it is just the way the salesman con their victims about the hugh "savings" from signing up their plans ... they claim travel prices will increase over the next 15 years ... and buying their package will lock the price at the current rate

what they didnt reveal is that besides paying the hefty membership fees, the yearly subscription fees can also increase over the years

I think they also plant other "buyers" in there to trick you into believing that u got a great deal

oh? they also use fake buyer tactics?...this i didn't know...

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
whenever someone "buy" they will sound the bell ... and take photo ... etc
give you the impression that many of the rest are buying

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.