Must read : Time Share Scam Awareness! Don't be the next victim!

• Have you been Scammed?
    Follow this advisory from National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) on the next steps you can take. More info

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Awareness, people. We can win wars through awareness of their ploys.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i accompany a frd to listen to their talk few years back.previously they giving gold pen.. now got car somemore?? . imediately after sensng something wrong i left with my friend... And those house flies at bus interchanges or outside shopping centre i dun even bother.. treat them as non existence.. i dun even want to waste my energy to reject them.

4everdreaming

Reaction score
Red alert red alert :mad:

Received a call on my moblie from a telemarketing representative from Lifestyle Agency who claims to represent a new cruise company named " Discovery 8 " located at Tong building.

He claims that I won consolation prize with spa vouchers, 5 star hotel stay in Thailand and what nots..if this is consolation prize....wonder what are the top prizes ?

I will need to go down at 6.45 tomorrow and look through some brouchers and give them some feedback..easy as that...they say I can leave after 1 hour...

Hahahahaha I smell a BIG con job here sure got high pressure sales tactics...they dun even want to let me know the address unless I confirm attending...maybe if i backside itchy, I go Tong building tomorrow to check the tenants list to see if there is such a company and maybe the ROC hahahahah

Anyway folks be careful...there is nothing for free and I have not won anything without conditions attached since birth till now... :D

Seraquiel

Master Member
Reaction score
hmm last week one indian man called my home and looked for my dad. Of course my dad can't possibly know some indian speaking english as he can't even understand english. The call was passed to me by my granny.

When I took over the phone , that guy introduced himself and I told him that my dad is not around. He requested for his mobile and I told him off that I will not be giving him any numbers. I asked him what it is regarding he just replied " Oh it is a personal call. "

He did not give up and instead he asked me to inform my dad to give him a call.
Upon hearing there , I was wondering , what personal call can it be. Must be some idiot trying to bluff his way out. I got a bit hostile and asked him what it is exactly regarding. Then he say that he was from Oriental travel , he has some good news for my dad as he had won some ......

Anyway , I told him that we are not interested at all and slam the phone down... seriously I should just tell him that he is a cheater who wants to cheat people's money... hmmm..

Recently , we have been receiving many of these calls.... it is so irriting actually. Why can't these people stop their nonsense???

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it's known that these cheaters pass and share their contacts among the different companies

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tazzycorner said:
it's known that these cheaters pass and share their contacts among the different companies

One of the source is from those tele-promoter contracted by some of the large company like bank etc. Starhub is one of them. They use to call you up to make promotion even you have notify them not to call you again.

Worse still is these part timer promoter took your contact and call you for some other "promotion" when they leave the job!

djanggo

Reaction score
tazzycorner said:
the thread on oriental travels taken from the forum :

http://www.voy.com/161450/13.html

-------------------------------------------

Good that a website is finally up regarding such unscrupulous timeshare companies. Congratulations to the webmaster.

I would like to relate our experience, to warn others regarding the tactics used by such time-share companies.

Our experience is with Orient Travels, which their office was located at Wheelock Place.

Both me and my wife was stopped just outside Mariott Hotel during our trip to Orchard. A young lady stopped us and ask us whether we are a couple, one of us must be 30 years and above, and whether we possess credit cards. She then passed us a lucky draw coupon which upon opening, stated that we had won a $20 gift vocher or free trip to Genting Highlands from Isetan.

However, in order to collect the prize, we have to attend a no-obligations presentation on their company's attractive travel packages. We were led to Orient Travel. We were then sit in to listen to the presentation. It was much longer than the 1 hour promised by them. There was a sales guy, attached to us. Prior to the presentation, he briefed us on the benefits, and we enquired about the cost. He refused to reveal the cost.

When the presentation started, the presenter attempts to make some jokes. He categorically stated that they are not a "time-share" company, but a company involves in making holiday travel packages much cheaper for members. They did not advertise, as advertisement costs are too expensive. Such packages are a much more attractive option. Satisfied customers words or walking advertisements are much better. What a whole bull of crap it eventually turned out later!

He further show the whole presentation on how much a typical 5-star resort stay cost, and how much travel agents charged, which is unwarranted. Orient Travel, which is affiliated to Golden Crown Resorts Group is a large organization originally created for business travellers to enjoy rebates on hotel and travel bookings, but later extended to the public. We can get 30 - 50% discounts just by purchasing travel packages thru' them.

After the presentation, the sales presenter then try to hard-sell us the packages. We balk at the huge amount for membership. Originally, he was discussing membership at S$40 000 (Gold membership), then reduced to S$30 000 (Silver membership). Around us, there are some who raised their hands, stating that they will sign the membership. A guy would come up to the podium and congratulate the couple. For those who sign-up on the spot that day, would win a 9 days trip either to South Africa, Spain, Bali....etc. The first few would also be promised additional, if I remember correctly, another 5 or 7 days trip to a special destination. We were hesitant. I admit, I was tempted, but we had just got married and do not have much cash. Then a sales manager came and talk to us, where he keep telling us the benefits. The cost of membership came down to S$20 000 (Bronze membership). We can upgrade our membership later. These memberships is for a period of 10 years. If we couldn't pay, we can pay via interest-free instalments.

As the amount are huge, we stated we need to think about it. The sales manager continued it's hard-selling. We were brought to a number of computers showing the look-of-the-resorts, we may stay in. There was also a money-back "guarantee" for those signing up for the Gold membership, where at the end of 10 years, part of the membership we deposited into Orient Travel, the interest from the banks will be returned to us, which may amount to more than S$10 000.

I was tempted, but fortunately, my wife, who even though love to travel, was more pragmatic. She pulled my arms and whispered to me not to sign, as she feel something fishy. This deal is too good to be true. I then asked the sales manager to let me have 3 days to consider, which he then replied that the offer is only for today. Once I stepped out of the office, the offer is gone. Upon hearing that, I resolved not to sign. Any deals which will not be valid once one stepped out, is deemed very fishy to me. Fearing that this is a trap, both of us then stated we made our decision not to sign. We were then ushered to the counter, and collected our vocher. We did not opt for the Genting Highlands trip, as we upon looking behind the terms and conditions of the lucky draw coupon stated that we may have to attend another of such sales presentation over there, at Genting Highlands.

When we left for the lift, the sales presenter came out, with a very worried or stressful face, which we immediately noticed. These symptoms, made us feeling that something must be wrong. It was later, thru conversation with one of my friend, who was duped into a time-sharing company that I finally realized the scheme.

Fortunately, my wife was more sensible during that time, else I may end up giving in to my temptation. On hindsight, I have a gut feeling, which I do not know whether it is true or not, after the whole incident, when I stopped to think carefully, some of those who raised their hands to sign up for the packages, may be their own employees, posing as a couple.

I still remembered the worried look at the sales presenter's face. I don't get why he have such a worried look, when he did not do anything "wrong"?

By listing what had actually transpired throughout, and our whole ordeal. We would like to warn others to be wary of such tactics by such purported, "non time-share" companies such as Orient Travel. I consider myself lucky, because I have my pragmatic wife to wake me up. I just hope that more people do not fall for such elaborate schemes in future. For those who do, I support your motion to blacklist these companies and try to get back the money they owed, as these are high-pressure sales tactics they adopted, which are morally wrong.

Thanks

Edwin

i experience exactly the same thing as urs but mine doesn't happen here, its at Phuket during my holidays. i know this kind of crap happens here but who would have thought it would happen in phuket. same tactics, they stop u & ask to to scratch some coupons and wahlaaaa u won something.

B

bakabryan

4everdreaming said:
Red alert red alert :mad:

Received a call on my moblie from a telemarketing representative from Lifestyle Agency who claims to represent a new cruise company named " Discovery 8 " located at Tong building.

He claims that I won consolation prize with spa vouchers, 5 star hotel stay in Thailand and what nots..if this is consolation prize....wonder what are the top prizes ?

I will need to go down at 6.45 tomorrow and look through some brouchers and give them some feedback..easy as that...they say I can leave after 1 hour...

Hahahahaha I smell a BIG con job here sure got high pressure sales tactics...they dun even want to let me know the address unless I confirm attending...maybe if i backside itchy, I go Tong building tomorrow to check the tenants list to see if there is such a company and maybe the ROC hahahahah

Anyway folks be careful...there is nothing for free and I have not won anything without conditions attached since birth till now... :D

Lo and behold, the above tactic is still on-going, must be because oriental travel is used too often, so a change of name will shake off suspicion....these guys just don't give up! A guy named Galvin called me telling me the above senario, also tellg me the earliest time I can collect my prize is also 645pm at Rolex Building (Tong Buildg lah).

So I asked him how he got my number, he said from some lucky draw contest I joined. But the most hilarious part was when he asked me if I am chinese or malay after talking to me for over 5 minutes, without even finding out what is my name first. When I question his asking me this, he said, for verification! If he already has my name, why need to verify I chinese or malay? See name can already loh! I nearly burst out laughing.

(So playing along...) I told him i am chinese, then he ask me for my name and surname. Of which I of course counter with "i am sure you have my name in the lucky draw coupon". Of course, what is his favourite counter-line? "For verification purposes!" hahahaha......i really wanted to crack up by then. Cummon, I am in the service line, & I absolutely feel sad for such low class service rendered. I mean, if you wanna cheat, at least hire pros lah!

So when all is confirmed (after asking for my name, age, profession only), I told him i want to go early, at 6pm. But he quickly change his polite tone, addin a pinch of impatience and said, only 6.45pm is the earliest, as there are 20 others also there. *Ting* The moment he said that, walah, con job. First rule of customer service, make cust. feel he/she is king/queen, esp after he/she win prize all that, not feel like 20 other common others who also win same prize. Then he pass me to his supervisor (no music playing in the backgrd while on hold, just alot of muffled sounds), named Julie, who again, repeated the same speech over again about winning, and confirming that I am going down at 6.45pm. Then walah, next "Ting" was when she said, "See you 6.45pm and we just will let you know the cruise packages which last till 7.45pm" in the most broken singlish ever heard. (I mean, I am proud of singlish, but she gave singlish a bad name man!) Oops! Galvin forgot to tell me it is 1 hour! Then I say, not interested already. So Julie had to explain to me why it takes 1 hour ("Don't worry lah, we not the time-share scam one...")....by then I was getting impatient playing with them already. So I told her I go at 6.30, then she again demand must be 645. Then I tell her I pick up the prize, maybe I don't stay, also cannot. So I told her, ok lah. see you. Then she confirmed our meet and hung up.

Then I came on this forum, read all I need to know and I called back 15minutes later. Say not interested. Give it to someone else. Galvin calls me back on a private number, and can you imagine their "retention" tactic...."Aiyah, sir, we just trying to do our job, hope you understand. We already submit your name." Huh??? Galvin, are you listening to yourself? What does submitting my name up have any value-add to enticing me to something I feel I am no longer interested in? So I said: I am not interested. And hung up. (With hearing him in the background saying...."ok lor.....")

jeez....sad sad sad. So all readers out there....next time they call, have some fun w/ them!

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow .... which company?

now they are even trying to pass off as travel agencies??

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
erin50 said:
Just upped to let everyone know that THEY ARE STILL ALIVE AND KICKING!!!

Just received a call from them.

Now they say Chan Brothers is 'promoting' them and that they are part of NATAS FAIR i.e. establishing their credibility.

Just say NO to assholes...

I asked them for their call back number. They are why and I told them I am going to report to case and police. They put down the phone immediately.

strifecyrena

Reaction score
wahh haha.... mi n mi colleague kena last year ..... haiz

mi colleague kena called first ..... still can ask mi cover him n he go off early ... (wah liao)
think he paid $3000 per yr for it ....
later he realize was a scam ....
actually not a scam lah .. think in contract wat they state is true ... BUT baised on avaliabiliy ONLY
den my fren report 2 CASE 2 get refund ....
s;pore got 1 law dat say consumer can get refund within 3 days if not happie (rules apply lah *go through case n stuff)
lucky he can get back his $$

wah den afew daez later they call mi !!
dunnoe how they get our number ...
den later i 1 2 scold the person ....
i told her ..." u noe ur company 1 of the top 10 for time-sharing? I advice u 2 resign n find a better job" wahah ....dat time mi fren got find the link in CASE for top 10 time sharing haha.
after dat the sales person just say .. ohhh izzit ... den said okay n hung up liaoz

this reminds mi of piramid sellin ... haizz

khee

Reaction score
i am one of their victim 2 yrs back... sunk in almost $5k... anyway it is old story liao... recently someone send a letter to me saying that i won a car... after reading the terms and condition that the winner must be earning abt certain amt, i know it is scam liao... so ppl pls aware if there is any letter saying u won a car or something...

Last edited:

jsbn

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ALERT, ALERT~~~~~

Recently I oso got a call from them. Lady's name is called Sandra. Still chut the same pattern of, "Congrats Sir, u won spa vouchers lah, holiday package tours lah...." and den give all kindsa crap.

Played along and pooped the biggest bullshit in my entire life. I said I'm working at TUAS area :)s13: ) and when the woman pressed for my profession, I said sales line, she began talking in an extremely condescending tone, "Senior Management? CEO?" and I replied, "Yeah. Somewhere along that line." and she ignored me and continued, "Technician? Normal Employee? Yeah? Yeah? Yeah?"

Den I let go my biggest poop, "I'm a Senior Sales Manager."

Her voice immediately drooled (like macam she going to drop her clothes for me) and urged me to attend the 1hr talk thing. Den I told her that I'm very busy guy and she said, "Saturday how? U're working half day right?"

I told her, "Yeah, half day." and she said, "Is 12pm ok for u?".
I replied, "I stop work at abt 8pm. That's my half day...." :s13:
She like kena stun like dat and I told her to call me back a couple of days later as I am at a meeting.
A few days later, she did call but I ignored the call.

BTW, if u butties wanna add a number to ur blacklist contacts, plz include this number: 62352069

*** End of Field Report ***

shaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i want to confirm:

their most common ploy will be to annouce me as a winner to something, and the conditions i must meet to claim that prize right?

thanks

tazzycorner

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
jsbn said:
ALERT, ALERT~~~~~

Recently I oso got a call from them. Lady's name is called Sandra. Still chut the same pattern of, "Congrats Sir, u won spa vouchers lah, holiday package tours lah...." and den give all kindsa crap.

Played along and pooped the biggest bullshit in my entire life. I said I'm working at TUAS area :)s13: ) and when the woman pressed for my profession, I said sales line, she began talking in an extremely condescending tone, "Senior Management? CEO?" and I replied, "Yeah. Somewhere along that line." and she ignored me and continued, "Technician? Normal Employee? Yeah? Yeah? Yeah?"

Den I let go my biggest poop, "I'm a Senior Sales Manager."

Her voice immediately drooled (like macam she going to drop her clothes for me) and urged me to attend the 1hr talk thing. Den I told her that I'm very busy guy and she said, "Saturday how? U're working half day right?"

I told her, "Yeah, half day." and she said, "Is 12pm ok for u?".
I replied, "I stop work at abt 8pm. That's my half day...." :s13:
She like kena stun like dat and I told her to call me back a couple of days later as I am at a meeting.
A few days later, she did call but I ignored the call.

BTW, if u butties wanna add a number to ur blacklist contacts, plz include this number: 62352069

*** End of Field Report ***

LOL

u know what?
they have marked u as a potential carrot and will continue to bug u non-stop

also, somehow, your contacts will be passed on to other companies of the same nature and different people will be calling u from time to time

juz ask them to F off or u will report to police for harassment

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.