My Melbourne Itinerary

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Scoot flight TR Scoot 19
MEL to SIN Dec 12, 1:20 PM Thursday 2019

Would reaching the Tullamarine Airport Terminal 2 , 2 hours before , at 11.20 am, be enough safety margin for bag check in + security checks + out going Immigration for family of 4 and 1 large 20kg ,2 small 10 kg bags or
is the terminal very large and busy, chaotic and sudden last minute boarding gate changes can happen ,so better reach there 3 hours before departure at 10.20am ,
any horror stories or events to recall for Last day city traffic jams, rental car return or Tullamarine specific terminal problems? ?

My suggestion would be like others, go 3hrs before, that's when the counters open for check in.. mostly self service kiosk.

And especially so if you're travelling during morning peak hrs.. it's a nightmare on the roads sometimes.

spurman

Reaction score

Would reaching the Tullamarine Airport Terminal 2 , 2 hours before , at 11.20 am, be enough safety margin for bag check in + security checks + out going Immigration for family of 4 and 1 large 20kg ,2 small 10 kg bags or
is the terminal very large and busy, chaotic and sudden last minute boarding gate changes can happen ,so better reach there 3 hours before departure at 10.20am ,
any horror stories or events to recall for Last day city traffic jams, rental car return or Tullamarine specific terminal problems? ?

First of all which car rental co u returning to.
Near airport? Comes with shuttle van to bring you back to airport. Give yourself 30mins to settle this.

Also weekdays melbourne city jams.
Say fitzroy gardens to airport takes about 30mins with some jams easily.

St kilda area worse. U add another 15mins more easily.

AL22DA

Reaction score
Yes, most supplements, cosmetics, perfumes are cheaper in AU. You can check through the pricing https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/ before you head down to Chemist Warehouse stores.

For supplements & medications, just make sure they don't have any controlled or illegal ingredients that you cannot bring back to SG.

I'm wondering if I can bring strawberries back for my own consumes?

LaiHam

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I can bring strawberries back for my own consumes?

You can bring most meat, seafood and fruits back from Australia. Fruits - reasonable amount & just say for own consumption. Frozen meat & seafood I think limited to 5 kg. I love to bring back their meat pies and steaks.

LaiHam

Reaction score

At least 3 hours, or more. Cause Dec peak season. Aussies are also on long term break so more travelers getting out.

AL22DA

Reaction score
You can bring most meat, seafood and fruits back from Australia. Fruits - reasonable amount & just say for own consumption. Frozen meat & seafood I think limited to 5 kg. I love to bring back their meat pies and steaks.

Thank you for sharing! i can't wait for my trip next week. Do i need to bring my own containers to bring the strawberries back or, if yes, i will get my mum to prep me one big Tupperware :s13:

LaiHam

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing! i can't wait for my trip next week. Do i need to bring my own containers to bring the strawberries back or, if yes, i will get my mum to prep me one big Tupperware :s13:

If handcarry, then make sure in sealed container. So far had no issue handcarry fruits but I still put the tupperware or container in ziploc to avoid leakage if smashed. Have fun next in Melb!

AL22DA

Reaction score
If handcarry, then make sure in sealed container. So far had no issue handcarry fruits but I still put the tupperware or container in ziploc to avoid leakage if smashed. Have fun next in Melb!

Okay! I will go home and dig for the biggest tupperware i can find :s13:=:p

boiboi123

Reaction score
Will be driving from melbourne city to phillip island - any suggestions on where to stop along the way for a rest, other than petrol station?

Was thinking to break up the drive with some sight seeing maybe.. Thank you!

owenowenno

Reaction score
First of all which car rental co u returning to.
Near airport? Comes with shuttle van to bring you back to airport. Give yourself 30mins to settle this.

Also weekdays melbourne city jams.
Say fitzroy gardens to airport takes about 30mins with some jams easily.

St kilda area worse. U add another 15mins more easily.

I haven't booked my accommodation for family of 4 adults at Melbourne yet.

Which part of Melbourne suburbs or Cityfringe adjacent to CBD is convenient to stay if i use airbnb with free carparking to park the rental car after a 2 nites Great Ocean road trip ?

Or if i just return car first to rental company,then can anyone suggest any convenient CBD area hotel;or airbnb, easy for taxi to airport route and also for nearby walkable tourist attractions ?

Acemandoo

Reaction score
Can recommend any car rental company in Melbourne Airport? Traveling in Mid-nov.

It seems like 3rd party app like rental.com or easyrental provide a cheaper price as compare with booking direct with the rental company.

Also, is it advisable to take up zero excess? As my travel insurance can covered a minimum sum though.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will be driving from melbourne city to phillip island - any suggestions on where to stop along the way for a rest, other than petrol station?

Not much on the way, most attractions are on PI itself. Unless you want to head to mornington

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I haven't booked my accommodation for family of 4 adults at Melbourne yet.

Which part of Melbourne suburbs or Cityfringe adjacent to CBD is convenient to stay if i use airbnb with free carparking to park the rental car after a 2 nites Great Ocean road trip ?

Or if i just return car first to rental company,then can anyone suggest any convenient CBD area hotel;or airbnb, easy for taxi to airport route and also for nearby walkable tourist attractions ?

Just return the car after your GOR trip and stay in the CBD.. from there you can take the skybus to airport

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Is there any app that show where in melb there will be cheaper or free parking?

LaiHam

Reaction score

Suggest stopover at Caldermeade Farm & Cafe ... its in between... 1 hour after city and another 1 hr from Caldermeade Farm to Phillip Island.

Cafe serves great scones & coffee.. they even have babycino for kids. Try the house special Devonshire Tea set. On the outside, there's farm animals roaming and a windmill. You can visit the baby ones kept in stalls and do feeding if its their feeding time... all for free.

Small playground and benches outside if you don't want to eat in the cafe & just want to enjoy the outside view. https://caldermeadefarm.com.au/

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Never came across such app, but there are websites for carpark to book online which is cheaper.

Free parking usually street parking in the city.. majority in suburbs are usually free

LaiHam

Reaction score

Try this.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.wilsonone

This app can also make payment.. it's like a parking meter, but best to just use it to locate available parking. My daughter uses this tho, which she finds helpful when not enough change in hand, BUT one time there's an issue with payment & she got fine, so had to appeal and show proof of online payment.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.paystay

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.