[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

koroshiya8

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think my DS415play finally up lorry... the power led keep flashing blue, while the fan behind keep going on and off....

May i know the warranty for this HDD, how many years ah ? i cant find my receipt liao.. cham.

think i got it in 2015 or 2016... if it's 3 years warranty it would be over...

May i know if Eternal Asia (S) Pte Ltd is the RMA centre itself ?

TIA!

Last edited:

VoodooKing

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
came to this thread cos my 2nd wd red died liao (only used the NAS for 2.5 years). think need to jump ship to another brand sia.

Get the Seagate Ironwolf 5400rpm, runs cooler and less noise. I switched to them and no regrets.

I find the Toshibas to run very hot at 7200rpm.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get the Seagate Ironwolf 5400rpm, runs cooler and less noise. I switched to them and no regrets.
OK, will take a look. Ironwolfs seem to be quite a bit pricier than the Toshibas, need to run it past finance minister first 🤣

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I find the Toshibas to run very hot at 7200rpm.

Model to compare:
Toshiba HDD
Seagate Ironwolf
NAS?

VoodooKing

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OK, will take a look. Ironwolfs seem to be quite a bit pricier than the Toshibas, need to run it past finance minister first ��

This NAS has 3 Seagate Ironwolves and 1 WD Red. It used to be 3 WD Red and 1 Toshiba, the Toshiba was running really hot at 42-43 degrees.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I won't consider 42-43°C as hot.
To me:
< 40°C: Cool
40-49°C: Warm
> 49°C: Hot

VoodooKing

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I won't consider 42-43°C as hot.
To me:
< 40°C: Cool
40-49°C: Warm
> 49°C: Hot

Ok. To me 42 degrees in non-aircon environment is pretty hot. I've ever touched the harddisk before and I just didnt like the heat.

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Some Synology models have the mobo & processor next to Slot 1.
Therefore HDD 1 will have higher temperature

This NAS has 3 Seagate Ironwolves and 1 WD Red. It used to be 3 WD Red and 1 Toshiba, the Toshiba was running really hot at 42-43 degrees.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok. To me 42 degrees in non-aircon environment is pretty hot. I've ever touched the harddisk before and I just didnt like the heat.

so your ironwolf how "cold" to justify the higher price tag with a much slower rpm ?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so your ironwolf how "cold" to justify the higher price tag with a much slower rpm ?
From his image/post, I see about 6°C cooler. $21 premium is the price for cooler and slower HDD.
Price from Tradepac:
Seagate Ironwolf 4TB: $156
Toshiba 7200rpm 4TB: $135

tiewkiat

Reaction score
Hi Experts

I tried to search the HWZ forums for answers but cant seem to find any.

I have a rather old synogloy 1812. The unit died on me. I suspect the power supply has gave up. I was trying to look for replacement PSU online but either there aren't stocks left or the ones available are extremely expensive.

Are the connectors standard configuration, i.e. I can buy another off-the-shelf PC PSU and hook up to my 1812? I know I wont be able to fit it into the NAS, but was just thinking if this is a viable option if aesthetics is not my concern.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From his image/post, I see about 6°C cooler. $21 premium is the price for cooler and slower HDD.
Price from Tradepac:
Seagate Ironwolf 4TB: $156
Toshiba 7200rpm 4TB: $135

Lol pay more just for the 6 degrees different and sacrifice on the things that matter most. Unless the 6 degrees is really unbearable i dont know how i could do that..

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Experts

I tried to search the HWZ forums for answers but cant seem to find any.

I have a rather old synogloy 1812. The unit died on me. I suspect the power supply has gave up. I was trying to look for replacement PSU online but either there aren't stocks left or the ones available are extremely expensive.

Are the connectors standard configuration, i.e. I can buy another off-the-shelf PC PSU and hook up to my 1812? I know I wont be able to fit it into the NAS, but was just thinking if this is a viable option if aesthetics is not my concern.

Likely will work since it is using the same 24pin as a conventional PSU

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/synology-1812-psu-exchange.20388/

For the other part you probably have to tweak

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.