[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix

Reaction score
I have a question on UPS for my NAS:

Just purchased APC BK650AS from VideoPro, item has yet to arrive. Question is, do I need any form of data cable for the UPS to communicate with my DS213j? Or is it a matter of plug & play?
I saw on APC's website that they have those USB-to-RJ45 cable, would that be necessary for me?

The cable is included in the package IIRC. Just plug in as per normal, don't plug into the USB 3.0 port if your Synology unit has those. Everything will magically work. :s13:

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The cable is included in the package IIRC. Just plug in as per normal, don't plug into the USB 3.0 port if your Synology unit has those. Everything will magically work. :s13:
Popping in to say hello to vulpix.

Will UPS kick in if I purposely off the main switch? Haa

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Popping in to say hello to vulpix.

Will UPS kick in if I purposely off the main switch? Haa

Definitely ur UPS will react normally with a recurring beeping sound, but whether your NAS will shutdown immediately or after awhile will depends on your NAS settings. UPS don't shutdown your NAS, your NAS decide when to ****down

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
Just had a power shutdown today (what the hell.. new HDB flat also can keep having whole block power failure)

My UPS kicked in and like they said, keep "beep-ing"... but the Synology was up and running. It gave me time to shut down manually.

My original setting in DSM was to keep Synology up and running till the UPS battery run flat but now I decided to change it to "5 minutes". Means 5 minutes after UPS started running, it will trigger the DSM to shut down the NAS.

I cannot tahan more than 5 minutes of the "beeping" :)

SeekerSeeks

Reaction score
I have a 1513+ which I'm using mainly for backups and streaming. Although I'm getting over 100MB/s in terms of transfer speed, I'm experiencing lags when it comes to playing 720/1080 video files on my TV (which happens to be connected via Ethernet as well). I saw speeds of 1MB/s or less on the Resource Monitor when it's streaming and lagging. Is that normal? Are there any types of tests I can run?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just had a power shutdown today (what the hell.. new HDB flat also can keep having whole block power failure)

My UPS kicked in and like they said, keep "beep-ing"... but the Synology was up and running. It gave me time to shut down manually.

My original setting in DSM was to keep Synology up and running till the UPS battery run flat but now I decided to change it to "5 minutes". Means 5 minutes after UPS started running, it will trigger the DSM to shut down the NAS.

I cannot tahan more than 5 minutes of the "beeping" :)

You can set it to shutdown when the battery is low. That means if the mains kick back in before that, your NAS can continue to function. For the sake of graceful shutdown, personally don't see the need to shutdown unless the mains are not coming back within a short period of time.

As for the beeping sound, it can be disabled using the APC's Powerchute software on Windows. Read up from Quiet! I'm trying to sleep! - Terry White's Tech Blog

sibehyandao

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys, SIC.
1513+ is selling for 1192 at Challenger Funan for member. 1212 for non members.
I think its a pretty good price as i was quoted 1400ish recently by another distributor.

p.s. they even throw in free 2gb ram for me today. you can go try your luck

midustouch

Reaction score
Guys, SIC.
1513+ is selling for 1192 at Challenger Funan for member. 1212 for non members.
I think its a pretty good price as i was quoted 1400ish recently by another distributor.

p.s. they even throw in free 2gb ram for me today. you can go try your luck

Price for 1813+?

alphonse

Reaction score
Question,

If I set IEEE 802.3 ad Dynamic Link Aggregation on the NAS, am I suppose to see the speed as 1000 or 2000? It is connect to 2 LACP port on a managed switch.

agent_sumo

Reaction score
Plan to get it seems it is much cheaper than APC . 650VAis around $85

I just got my Prolink UPS 800VA yesterday and it works well with my Syology 413.

Schedue it to shutdown after 3 mins in standby mode and it worked.

Bought mine at Fuwell for 79. :)

Vulpix

Reaction score
I just got my Prolink UPS 800VA yesterday and it works well with my Syology 413.

Schedue it to shutdown after 3 mins in standby mode and it worked.

Bought mine at Fuwell for 79. :)

Can it read the % power at the Synology control panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.