[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJeris

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eh all bros here... appreciate if can give me some advice.

Few days ago, my fren send me this picture and i almost chua sai.

Is my NAS infected with spyware/virus? i scanned it and there is no issues.

D1yH5tr.jpg

if its true, i will really hate this year xmas :mad:

xJeris

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm one more thing. . need help

Basically already setup the ddns already, but notice when i type in the url, eg. xxxx@synology.me, it gaves me a page cannot display. While keying xxxx@synology.me:5000, then i can see the page.

Did i do something wrong in my settings? or is it related to my 2wire router?
i rmb having this issue and i fixed it by portforwarding 5000.

I think....

wai

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i got problem with LDAP login to "Windows File Service", no problem with my LDAP setting cos i can login to FTP service.

any clue?

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've added 2x4TB to my SHR array and while expanding I got this:

Dear user,

The hard disk 1 on DiskStation had an I/O error, but it is working properly now after several retries. It might have been caused by bad sectors. If this error occurs again, please back up your data and run the S.M.A.R.T. test on your hard drive to examine the hard drive status.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation

:sad:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
:0 better check ur hdd... so fast bad section liao?

I've added 2x4TB to my SHR array and while expanding I got this:

Dear user,

The hard disk 1 on DiskStation had an I/O error, but it is working properly now after several retries. It might have been caused by bad sectors. If this error occurs again, please back up your data and run the S.M.A.R.T. test on your hard drive to examine the hard drive status.

Sincerely,
Synology DiskStation

:sad:

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
disk 1 and 2 is the old hdd, i just slot in 3 and 4. after expanding then i run the smart test :(

weap0nx

Master Member
Reaction score
I just swapped my 1511+ fans for Noctua NF-R8 because the old ones were noisy and dying. In case anyone was considering swapping fans you will need to edit /usr/syno/etc.defaults/scemd.xml and /usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml (commit same changes on both) to ensure the lowest fan speed is increased. I think the default is like 10%15Hz for the lowest temp which is insufficient power to keep the Noctua spinning and probably the same for most quiet low-powered fans.

I jacked mine up to 99%20Hz at all temps since noise is not an issue for me with the NAS in the cabinet. Never seen lower CPU and HDD temps. Feel free to play around with the settings to ensure your fans are running properly

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BaoW7zDCEAALXLb.jpg:large

anyone knows if this should be correct? for SHR i should be getting like (3+3+4+4) = 14 divide by 2 which is 7gb capacity max? thought there should be 2 disk redundancy too?

keigo22

Reaction score
BaoW7zDCEAALXLb.jpg:large

anyone knows if this should be correct? for SHR i should be getting like (3+3+4+4) = 14 divide by 2 which is 7gb capacity max? thought there should be 2 disk redundancy too?

you are using SHR not SHR2

SHR is like Raid 5 with 1 disk redundancy

While SHR 2 then is like Raid 6 with 2 disk redundancy.

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you are using SHR not SHR2

SHR is like Raid 5 with 1 disk redundancy

While SHR 2 then is like Raid 6 with 2 disk redundancy.

thanks for the clarification. seems like SHR1 is faster than SHR2 too and there's more space. no wonder i could only use SHR1..

2-disk redundant version of the SHR is available since DSM 3.1. To use a 2-disk redundant SHR, the Volume will have to be created with a minimum of four drives. Note that converting from 1-disk redundant SHR to 2-disk redundant SHR is not available. When expanding a 2-disk redundant SHR Volume, whether by larger or additional disk, the new storage will be available as soon as 4-disks have been expanded or added into the SHR Volume.

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm i wanted to set nas to secure http but always encounter certificate error from the default synology setup. how to overcome this issue?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm i wanted to set nas to secure http but always encounter certificate error from the default synology setup. how to overcome this issue?

The simple way is pay for the CA to sign your certificate request generated by your Synology and then import the purchased certificate into your Synology. The COMMON NAME of your certificate must be the same as the domain name of how you access your Synology via the browser.

The cost free method is create a self-signed or self-CA signed certificate and on top of importing the certificate into your Synology, also install the certificate as trust cert into your own system, or install your self-CA certificate into your own system.

Alpha0

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone ,

I have setup the ds414 (with 4 x 4tb) in raid 6.

but then i tried to copy files into a folder. the speed is only 19.x MB per second.

is there a concern or issue here ?

Zhone modem -- asus n56u -- intel gigabit lan port in pc (all cat6 cables here)

Ds414 -- n56u ( i connected both the cat5e cables and in failsafe mode)

thanks.

Last edited:

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The simple way is pay for the CA to sign your certificate request generated by your Synology and then import the purchased certificate into your Synology. The COMMON NAME of your certificate must be the same as the domain name of how you access your Synology via the browser.

The cost free method is create a self-signed or self-CA signed certificate and on top of importing the certificate into your Synology, also install the certificate as trust cert into your own system, or install your self-CA certificate into your own system.
ic.. So others who logs in I presumed will also be prompt to download n install the cert?

midustouch

Reaction score
Cool man! :s13:

I just swapped my 1511+ fans for Noctua NF-R8 because the old ones were noisy and dying. In case anyone was considering swapping fans you will need to edit /usr/syno/etc.defaults/scemd.xml and /usr/syno/etc/scemd.xml (commit same changes on both) to ensure the lowest fan speed is increased. I think the default is like 10%15Hz for the lowest temp which is insufficient power to keep the Noctua spinning and probably the same for most quiet low-powered fans.

I jacked mine up to 99%20Hz at all temps since noise is not an issue for me with the NAS in the cabinet. Never seen lower CPU and HDD temps. Feel free to play around with the settings to ensure your fans are running properly

midustouch

Reaction score
ic.. So others who logs in I presumed will also be prompt to download n install the cert?

If you're referring to the free cert, no, I don't think there will be a prompt to download. The client has to do that himself (if not in AD environment) and even if you install the cert on the client, you will still get that warning prompt since the cert does not have a complete verification path. (Guys please correct me if I'm wrong)

Cryptrus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
with regards to the video station, anyway to drill down rather then showing everything ie instead of all movies displaying in the video station i would like to open the video station and see various categories when i select movies, than select the movie genre and open up to the list of movies under it.

also it will be alot easier if serials are shown as a single folder, open up for the eps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.