[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexxusdev

Reaction score
Hi guys, need some advice as I'm dabbling into NAS for the first time.

Looking for a system for my family to have a reliable of important documents and photos/videos, while maintaining privacy by allowing each user to have access to only their own files. Have the following questions so hopefully someone can help :)

1. DIY NAS from old PC (Intel G620, 4GB RAM) vs cheap NAS? My budget is $200 on top of the PC or just $400 if getting a NAS.

2. If getting a NAS, is the Synology 218J a good option? I'm attracted to it because of price and seems to fit my basic needs.

3. 2nd hand NAS off marketplace/Carousell, would I expect any issues?

4. Lastly, what HDDs do you guys usually use for NAS in SG? I'm looking to have 2tb of storage.

Appreciate any help I can get :o

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes boss! However, if wrong sequence will there be a prompt?

No idea, but may risk data loss.

Which model is your NAS?

My previous DS414 power brick started giving restart issue barely 3 months after purchase. Got a replacement from Eternal Asia.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, need some advice as I'm dabbling into NAS for the first time.

Looking for a system for my family to have a reliable of important documents and photos/videos, while maintaining privacy by allowing each user to have access to only their own files. Have the following questions so hopefully someone can help :)

1. DIY NAS from old PC (Intel G620, 4GB RAM) vs cheap NAS? My budget is $200 on top of the PC or just $400 if getting a NAS.

2. If getting a NAS, is the Synology 218J a good option? I'm attracted to it because of price and seems to fit my basic needs.

3. 2nd hand NAS off marketplace/Carousell, would I expect any issues?

4. Lastly, what HDDs do you guys usually use for NAS in SG? I'm looking to have 2tb of storage.

Appreciate any help I can get :o

1. If data is important to you, you should think how to retrieve your data should your DIY NAS gone down.

2. Yes, DS218J is a good start. But don't expect write speed of 100Mb/s

3. Yes and no, depending on your luck.

4. I use 4x 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD from Tradepac.

Last edited:

DesertStrike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i currently has a WD green 3TB and WD blue 3TB, can i add a toshiba 3TB? seems like toshiba is cheapest now...

psyfy

Reaction score
Thought I share an interesting thing I stumbled on the net and tried out.

My entire family of 5 uses Macs with some dual booting into Windows and I have loads of important VMs. NAS is already almost 4TB filled and need to find a way of backing up the NAS fully encrypted to the cloud. Was using Crashplan(until they cancelled it) then tried Wasabi backup and although not bad and cheap just doesn't feel that right.

Someone mentioned about Google Drive via the G Suite Business plan. US$10/mth for 1 TB of space BUT Google don't enforce the volume cap. Long story short, been on it for the last 3 days and already over 1TB backed up in under 48 hours! Blazing fast compared to anything I've ever tried and it's Google so I know they won't close shop tomorrow. Currently am at 1.2 TB already and will sign up for it when trial ends in 11 days time.

Now I have peace of mind that my 3-2-1 backup plan is securely in place.

Pathfinder

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My entire family of 5 uses Macs with some dual booting into Windows and I have loads of important VMs. NAS is already almost 4TB filled and need to find a way of backing up the NAS fully encrypted to the cloud. Was using Crashplan(until they cancelled it) then tried Wasabi backup and although not bad and cheap just doesn't feel that right.

Someone mentioned about Google Drive via the G Suite Business plan. US$10/mth for 1 TB of space BUT Google don't enforce the volume cap. Long story short, been on it for the last 3 days and already over 1TB backed up in under 48 hours! Blazing fast compared to anything I've ever tried and it's Google so I know they won't close shop tomorrow. Currently am at 1.2 TB already and will sign up for it when trial ends in 11 days time.

Crashplan still have, USD10 per month for unlimited space.

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

psyfy

Reaction score
Crashplan still have, USD10 per month for unlimited space.

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

That’s true and I am still on it as well because I paid for 3 years and have a few more months left. Problem is that they don’t support running on NAS as they’ve removed the headless config. There are workarounds using Docker but a bit too fiddly and speed is average.

1 TB upload may take weeks vs days with Google and now they’ve just removed the mobile app. That and exiting the home user market are signals to me that all is not well.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

File size limitation? Characters limitation? Special characters? Any of it?

OneDrive is shitty because of such constrains

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Gforce8

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm using DS1515+

I've arranged them in order ready to be put back to the NAS. I'm only afraid that I put them back in starting with the wrong slot. 😅

No idea, but may risk data loss.

Which model is your NAS?

My previous DS414 power brick started giving restart issue barely 3 months after purchase. Got a replacement from Eternal Asia.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm using DS1515+

I've arranged them in order ready to be put back to the NAS. I'm only afraid that I put them back in starting with the wrong slot. 😅
No issue to slot in same sequence if you mark the HDD in original setup.

Gforce8

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. Am I right to say that it'll be fine as long they are in running sequence? 12345 or 54321 doesn't matter as long as they are put back in running sequence?

No issue to slot in same sequence if you mark the HDD in original setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.