[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bornerwave

Master Member
Reaction score
since when it uses blue/green, i literally just shucked and it is a white label red helium? :s11::s11:

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
WD 8/10TB Easystore ("White Label" - likely a rebranded HGST or relabeled WD Red/Gold 5400RPM 256MB Cache helium filled drive)

symbiote28

Reaction score
hi all,

i just got a new macbook pro and wanted to confirm which synology app should i install so that i'm able to store and download anything from my ds218play whenever i'm connected at home or outside?

thanks.

harharhar

Reaction score
Autoshutdown is a feature from the NAS. UPS that allow integration merely feedback the status and level of the battery charge

I am using the following https://www.apc.com/shop/sg/en/products/APC-BACK-UPS-CS-650VA-230V-ASEAN/P-BK650-AS

The sealed battery will need to change across roughly 2+years of continuous use. I buy 3rd party replacement from sim lim.
I connect most of my network devices including the NAS, so that notification can continue to send out from the NAS after power trip.

You probably wouldn’t need to last across a power trip, but typically for the NAS alone it will last u for an hour at least, for my case, only less than an hour. Most important is graceful shutdown.

I bought the above model. It’s emitting a buzzing / high-pitched sound intermittently. It gets quite annoying.

Can you feedback if yours also makes such noise?

iamnagel

Reaction score
Anyone using moments app? Just wondering if they allow organising photos into folders now. It was not allowed when the app was first released.

Posted from PCWX using ALP-L29

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone using moments app? Just wondering if they allow organising photos into folders now. It was not allowed when the app was first released.

Posted from PCWX using ALP-L29

There is no folders concept in Moments. Only albums.

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i just got a new macbook pro and wanted to confirm which synology app should i install so that i'm able to store and download anything from my ds218play whenever i'm connected at home or outside?

thanks.

? Just use your browser lor. Make sure Quickconnect is enabled on your Synology and turn on https.

onizuka_eiji

Reaction score
HDD Crashed

Dear all,

Like to get some advice on my NAS:

I was having repeated shutdown on my DS-213J lately. Decided to do some troubleshooting and decided to run a memory test following advice from Synology (https://www.synology.com/en-global/...ow_can_I_run_a_memory_test_on_my_Synology_NAS).

After leaving the NAS to run on Synology Assistant, I received the constant beeping sound and saw that the HDD has crashed.

2l4chh.jpg

I have not set up any RAID in the NAS but the HDD is accessible via File Station and I can backup the files on the HDD.

What should I do in this case?

i) Get new HDD to replace the crashed HDD?
ii) Format the HDD and then resume to use it? I am intending to get another 2T HDD and then set up data recovery RAID after this episode?
iii) Do something else?

sidenote: I am aware that the NAS model is quite old and had considered to upgrade it to 218Play or something but am hesitant since the existing 213J is still workable.

Thanks all for the help in advance!

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

Like to get some advice on my NAS:

I was having repeated shutdown on my DS-213J lately. Decided to do some troubleshooting and decided to run a memory test following advice from Synology (https://www.synology.com/en-global/...ow_can_I_run_a_memory_test_on_my_Synology_NAS).

After leaving the NAS to run on Synology Assistant, I received the constant beeping sound and saw that the HDD has crashed.

2l4chh.jpg

I have not set up any RAID in the NAS but the HDD is accessible via File Station and I can backup the files on the HDD.

What should I do in this case?

i) Get new HDD to replace the crashed HDD?
ii) Format the HDD and then resume to use it? I am intending to get another 2T HDD and then set up data recovery RAID after this episode?
iii) Do something else?

sidenote: I am aware that the NAS model is quite old and had considered to upgrade it to 218Play or something but am hesitant since the existing 213J is still workable.

Thanks all for the help in advance!

Provide the SMART test so we know the problem lies with hdd / NAS.

Generally, i feel u should just upgrade your Nas

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You should get a new 2-bay NAS and new Toshiba HDD going forward. Hope your volume in current NAS got backup.

You are running a 6 years old NAS, you should do some serious thinking what to do next.

I refreshed my ds414 after 3-4 years usage.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone have lobang go get cheap 7200rpm hdd?

So far i noticed tradepac cheapest but wouldn't hurt to find somewhere else cheaper :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.