Status
Not open for further replies.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
adding page 2 of the Health data.

1r66br.png

Thanks, Batniss

no bad sectors however high (likely) mechanical error. Suggest to change the disk if they are still under warranty, or write off and buy new disk.

vibranze

Reaction score
I'm planning to get a NAS/DAS and currently looking at Qnap TR-004. Is there a similar product from Synology? I don't mind a NAS but must have a USB-C for direct connection from laptop/PC.

And where is the best place to get a NAS, local store or online? Is it better to bundle it with hdd, if not where to get the cheapest price for hdd?

Thank you.

yonkou

Reaction score
I'm planning to get a NAS/DAS and currently looking at Qnap TR-004. Is there a similar product from Synology? I don't mind a NAS but must have a USB-C for direct connection from laptop/PC.

And where is the best place to get a NAS, local store or online? Is it better to bundle it with hdd, if not where to get the cheapest price for hdd?

Thank you.

Lazada usually have bundle deals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07G5NZ35Q/ref=psdcmw_160354011_t3_B005GYDMYQ For 8 Bay DAS unit with usb c.

Last edited:

lumpyme

Master Member
Reaction score
just got a ds218+ after reading reviews and browsing this chat
after searching and playing around with it, i'm still not able to get it up and running as i expect it to be

1 - multi user usage
i'm able to create multiple users, however each user is able to browse other user's files from the homes directory. i've been looking for a way to disable this access but cannot find anything. any solution for this?
what i want is each user has his own home directory and is not able to view other user's directories

2 - download manager magnet links
download manager has BT search, however every single time i try to search for anything, i get no matches found
seems like i can put a torrent file inside a directory and the download manager will pick up the torrent file
however it doesn't seem to work with magnet links, any solution for this?

also, am i able to perhaps paste in a link to download and it'll automatically download a list of files from my link?

fluid_motion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
after searching and playing around with it, i'm still not able to get it up and running as i expect it to be

1 - multi user usage
i'm able to create multiple users, however each user is able to browse other user's files from the homes directory. i've been looking for a way to disable this access but cannot find anything. any solution for this?
what i want is each user has his own home directory and is not able to view other user's directories

you need to set permissions for the folders. Set group permissions so easier to control. Read the help and play around with the settings.

harharhar

Reaction score

1 - multi user usage

2 - download manager magnet links
download manager has BT search, however every single time i try to search for anything, i get no matches found
seems like i can put a torrent file inside a directory and the download manager will pick up the torrent file
however it doesn't seem to work with magnet links, any solution for this?

also, am i able to perhaps paste in a link to download and it'll automatically download a list of files from my link?

1. Should be easy. Enable home folder and set permissions

2. You need to download and install the trackers and the download manager will be able to search

lumpyme

Master Member
Reaction score
1. Should be easy. Enable home folder and set permissions

2. You need to download and install the trackers and the download manager will be able to search

1 - create new user
2 - login as admin, edit the new user to remove shared folder access

3 - login as new user
>>> unable to view anything in /home

LocalGod

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i am new to synology. just bought ds918+, 8tb red and 256 nvme setup and use my existing 128gb ssd.

purpose is to run a vm win7 24/7, plex and torrent.

some questions
1. which app are best for full windows and mac backup.
2. possible to do full iphone backup/
3. which app are best for 1 button click to backup photos. want to install for my wife.
4. for the above backup, is it possible for synology to turn on wifi power plug to power up the external usb hdd, make a copies of the backup and then turn off the power in a schedule manner.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i am new to synology. just bought ds918+, 8tb red and 256 nvme setup and use my existing 128gb ssd.

purpose is to run a vm win7 24/7, plex and torrent.

some questions
1. which app are best for full windows and mac backup.
2. possible to do full iphone backup/
3. which app are best for 1 button click to backup photos. want to install for my wife.
4. for the above backup, is it possible for synology to turn on wifi power plug to power up the external usb hdd, make a copies of the backup and then turn off the power in a schedule manner.

don't run anything important, it might die soon.

Jokes aside

1. Personally i like to use Rsync + hyperbackup. Alternatively, u can set up file history for Windows.

2. I will leave it to the Apple lovers to answer

3. photos

4. scheduler and script - depending on what your network power plug is.

Ah Ken

Reaction score
yeah saw it. Lazada selling 8TB for $289 + can use credit card.

so am considering which to get. - Lazada coupons hard to find n grab

I am looking for 8TB hard disk too. Happen to come to this thread where everyone is using these large hdds. I think Tradepac is cheapest right as you mentioned?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am looking for 8TB hard disk too. Happen to come to this thread where everyone is using these large hdds. I think Tradepac is cheapest right as you mentioned?

yeap, but the length of warranty should be either 2 / 3 years

Last edited:

loodoo

Reaction score
i don't use synology cause no budget yet.
but i do have a SBC (odroid HC-2) with a 4tb WD red attached.
i have ubuntu running off it and setup a SFTP server.

The SFTP is used by spouse iphone to backup pics. (cause i think icloud storage is rip-off). I think synolody should be able to run SFTP. (not FTPS)

Then Used Photosync App on the iphone for 1-click the backup of all photo/videos on the phone to the NAS using SFTP. Also set it to use passwordless authentication.
The app cost a few bucks though, but works great.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to configure permission for different user to access specific sub folder?

E.g.
List of users:
Alice
David
Eric
Tom

Folders
Office
|
+--- alice
+--- david
+--- eric
+--- tom

Only Alice can access alice sub folder , David can access david sub folder, same to 2 other users.

Thanks

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any idea Toshiba 8TB on Amazon Prime would have warranty? International coverage?

Toshiba doesnt have intl warranty. At least not for SG distributor. They wouldn't accept it.

If warranty is a concern and you need long warranty, this seems promising

Toshiba 8TB with 5 years of warranty https://qoo.tn/Bu8DJT/Q101126928

At $350 (grab the $50 off $400 to make it $350)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.