[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendZenify

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get the screws for synology? (I'm using ds218j).

My mom threw away the box with the whole set of screws in it during spring cleaning :(
I'm left with the unit but no screws for installation

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get the screws for synology? (I'm using ds218j).

My mom threw away the box with the whole set of screws in it during spring cleaning :(
I'm left with the unit but no screws for installation

You can go to Memory World at Sim Lim Square, they are one of the distro.

yamashita

Reaction score
Dreadful email alert today:

Dear user,

The bad sectors on drive 1 in DS418 have increased. Statistics have shown that drives with bad sectors are more likely to be damaged than those without bad sectors. We recommend backing up your data immediately to ensure data integrity. Afterward, please go to Storage Manager > HDD/SSD > S.M.A.R.T. to run the Extended Test and refer to the test results for the recommended actions.

Fortunately, the affected hard disk (Seagate Ironwolf) is still under warranty. Is my understanding correct that I can simply take the affected hard disk out and wait for the replacement disk for re-adding to the storage pool?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Fortunately, the affected hard disk (Seagate Ironwolf) is still under warranty. Is my understanding correct that I can simply take the affected hard disk out and wait for the replacement disk for re-adding to the storage pool?
You should get a replacement disk and rebuild immediately, as a 2nd drive failure will wipe out all your data.

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I think my 918+ just died. Came home to find it powered down. Press the on button, can hear the fans spin but none of the hard drives power up. The blue light blinks for 10 seconds of so and shut downs.

Remove all the drives. Press on button. Unit powers up, beeps and the orange LED (status) lights up. Unit remains powered on. Insert one drive. Drive did not power up. Unit shuts down after a few seconds.

Purchased in Nov 18... any idea how long will the RMA takes? Not sure if it's the power brick issue or with the mainboard :(

Agent is Memoryworld.

Tks.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think my 918+ just died. Came home to find it powered down. Press the on button, can hear the fans spin but none of the hard drives power up. The blue light blinks for 10 seconds of so and shut downs.

Remove all the drives. Press on button. Unit powers up, beeps and the orange LED (status) lights up. Unit remains powered on. Insert one drive. Drive did not power up. Unit shuts down after a few seconds.

Purchased in Nov 18... any idea how long will the RMA takes? Not sure if it's the power brick issue or with the mainboard :(

Agent is Memoryworld.

Tks.

try with another adapter.

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
try with another adapter.

Genius it works! I have a old 412+ and I used it's power brick.

Well.... is the power brick covered by warranty? Can I bring it back or do I have to lug the entire box + brick down for RMA?

And if this is too much of a hassle, any recommendation of a replacement power brick I can buy on my own?

Tks

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Genius it works! I have a old 412+ and I used it's power brick.

Well.... is the power brick covered by warranty? Can I bring it back or do I have to lug the entire box + brick down for RMA?

And if this is too much of a hassle, any recommendation of a replacement power brick I can buy on my own?

Tks

call them? I bring my adapter, they tested it found no issue but still change it nevertheless.

Sim Lim Level 2/3. Some back alley shop (UNICELL or etc) sells OEM power brick at approx $60/pc.

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
call them? I bring my adapter, they tested it found no issue but still change it nevertheless.

Sim Lim Level 2/3. Some back alley shop (UNICELL or etc) sells OEM power brick at approx $60/pc.

I see. Alright. Will give them a call and see how it goes.

bencheongcm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Think should power down the NAS ASAP and take out that HDD for RMA. Go without NAS until the RMA done and replace it for the rebuild. Becasue if another HDD down, than data gone for sure unless you want to risk it and carry on using it with -1 HDD.

ardneh

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would like to confirm that I understand things correctly.

I am thinking to buy DS220J and purchase 2x 4TB HDD. The NAS is to be used for backing up phones (mostly from iphone) and just-for-fun also important documents on my PC. Documents is not large volume, and I have uploaded them them in the company-given OneDrive account.

So to get the most cost-efficient backup from my Iphone, here is my idea

In DS220J, setup 2 separate drives volume: HDD1 and HDD2. Backup from other devices (iphones and PC) will be on HDD1 -- and at night, I'll schedule a copy from HDD1 to HDD2. I will run another USB external drive to Synology and schedule weekly copy to this external drive.

What are my risks doing this?
1. HDD1 fail before scheduled copy job run. can reduce this risk by running more frequently - but on average, I probably have 1-5 new photos in a day

2. HDD1 and HDD2 fail at the same time. Possible scenario - but can I assume this is extremely low risk? Or is this wrong?

3. Risk of having backup in the same location as source is presence. but nothing I can do about it unless I do cloud Backup.

What other bad things doing it like this?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if want to gamble, you can wait.
if don't want gamble want save $, off nas
if don't want gamble but have $, buy replacement.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I would like to confirm that I understand things correctly.

I am thinking to buy DS220J and purchase 2x 4TB HDD. The NAS is to be used for backing up phones (mostly from iphone) and just-for-fun also important documents on my PC. Documents is not large volume, and I have uploaded them them in the company-given OneDrive account.

So to get the most cost-efficient backup from my Iphone, here is my idea

In DS220J, setup 2 separate drives volume: HDD1 and HDD2. Backup from other devices (iphones and PC) will be on HDD1 -- and at night, I'll schedule a copy from HDD1 to HDD2. I will run another USB external drive to Synology and schedule weekly copy to this external drive.

What are my risks doing this?
1. HDD1 fail before scheduled copy job run. can reduce this risk by running more frequently - but on average, I probably have 1-5 new photos in a day

2. HDD1 and HDD2 fail at the same time. Possible scenario - but can I assume this is extremely low risk? Or is this wrong?

3. Risk of having backup in the same location as source is presence. but nothing I can do about it unless I do cloud Backup.

What other bad things doing it like this?

why not... SHR (RAID1)? Since you don't have a lot. If not, top up for more space or get an external hdd with (i.e. 8TB) to handle both of the NAS disks.

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I decided to upgrade both my DS213J 3TB hard disk (due to bad sector) to both new 4TB hard disk.

Both the existing hard disk is configure in SHR , the 3TB show capacity of 2.7TB.

I took out Drive 1 and install a new 4TB hard disk drive and show capacity of 3.6TB.

When in Storage Manager -> Storage Pool -> Action -> Repair -> Choose Drives (still show capacity as 3.64TB) -> Next -> OK -> Confirm Setting (it show setting as 2.7TB) -> Apply (did not press)

How do I get the 3.6TB capacity instead of reduce back to 2.7TB for the new installed drive?

Thanks in advance for replying.

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
You need to have both slots filled with 4TB hdd to show capacity as 3.64TB

I decided to upgrade both my DS213J 3TB hard disk (due to bad sector) to both new 4TB hard disk.

Both the existing hard disk is configure in SHR , the 3TB show capacity of 2.7TB.

I took out Drive 1 and install a new 4TB hard disk drive and show capacity of 3.6TB.

When in Storage Manager -> Storage Pool -> Action -> Repair -> Choose Drives (still show capacity as 3.64TB) -> Next -> OK -> Confirm Setting (it show setting as 2.7TB) -> Apply (did not press)

How do I get the 3.6TB capacity instead of reduce back to 2.7TB for the new installed drive?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.