[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Oh Ya im Curious Lets say i Transfering From com To nas And from Nas To Com ssd Avg speed Of caviar Red

Your keyboard something wrong? :s11: Anyway speeds depend greatly on the NAS itself. 413/413j series known to transfer somewhere between 30-40mb/s while the NAS with faster processors like the Intel ones in the 412+ can go up to 80-90mb/s.

Of course this is assuming your router doesn't suck and it's properly supporting a gigabit connection, and you manage to find the perfect jumbo frame value for your network, and there is no other device congesting your network.

Vulpix

Reaction score
My NAS is also acting as my download machine, apart from serving data access to all the systems in my house and remotely.

I kept wondering if separating a downloading NAS would be better.

Say I add a DS112/DS112+ as a downloading machine and maintain my DS211 server to my systems. Think the HDD in DS211 would last longer or just make performance better?

Are you doing so much downloads that you are bogging down the performance of your NAS? Check the CPU bar on the right side of the Synology GUI and see on average if it's always at high load or not. If it's constantly at high load from the things you do, then it's probably a good idea to have a separate NAS.

If it's only a few downloads once in a while, then no, don't waste money. Or you could always use this as an excuse to get a 412+ with the awesome Intel processor that will let you multitask like a boss with top downloads. :crazy:

BTW I just wanna remind everyone I not a NAS expert hor, just sharing what I know. Got a few veterans here haven't show face in this thread yet. :D

WhiteFox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All my siblings have remote access to the storage so when we are out, we are always streaming music from the NAS.

My NAS is always downloading/uploading something. When it's a well seeded file and I maximise the bandwidth, yup the cpu will be at 100%. And because torrents cause a lot of HDD activities, I thought maybe a NAS dedicated for torrenting might be a good idea because even if the HDDs crash, all my data won't be there but on the other NAS.

Chys

Master Member
Reaction score
For discussion please, a 421+ is $775, that is like almost x3 212j. Apart from the possibility of having Raid 5/6/10 etc... Will you be better off with 2 x 212j with spare change? Though I noted that you will lost 50% hdd space. Let's do some math:

Setup 1 - 9TB (Assume Raid 5)
1 x 421+ - $775
4 x WD Red 3TB - $207 x 4 = $828
Total = $1603

Setup 2 - 3TB x 2 = 6TB (Assume Raid 1)
2 x 212j - $270 x 2 = $540
Total = $1368

$1603 - $1368 = $235 (ie 1 WD Red 3TB with spare change)

So in the end you get same diskspace except that in Setup 1 3TB is unprotected per se.

Any other views?

Last edited:

Vulpix

Reaction score
All my siblings have remote access to the storage so when we are out, we are always streaming music from the NAS.

My NAS is always downloading/uploading something. When it's a well seeded file and I maximise the bandwidth, yup the cpu will be at 100%. And because torrents cause a lot of HDD activities, I thought maybe a NAS dedicated for torrenting might be a good idea because even if the HDDs crash, all my data won't be there but on the other NAS.

Based on your description, I would say getting a 4 bay NAS with good performance actually makes more sense than getting another 2 bay NAS.

My reasoning:
  1. Torrenting is actually quite CPU intensive.
  2. If you have 2 NAS with 2 bays, it means you are practically doing a RAID 1. Why not just get a 4 bay one and do RAID 5?
  3. If you get 1x 4 bay NAS, you just need 1 UPS to cover it, if you get 2x 2 bay NAS, how you going to cover in the future? :D

Vulpix

Reaction score
For discussion please, a 421+ is $775, that is like almost x3 212j. Apart from the possibility of having Raid 5/6/10 etc... Will you be better off with 2 x 212j with spare change? Though I noted that you will lost 50% hdd space. Let's do some math:

1 x 421+ - $775
Total = $1603

Setup 2 - 3TB x 2 = 6TB (Assume Raid 1)
2 x 212j - $270 x 2 = $540
Total = $1368

$1603 - $1368 = $235 (ie 1 WD Red 3TB with spare change)

So in the end you get same diskspace except that in Setup 1 3TB is unprotected per se.

Any other views?

The reason you want a 412+ is for the intel processor, faster speeds and transcoding feature only found on the 412+ and other Intel NAS. If none of those features makes sense to you, then don't put the 412+ in your list. Not a very fair comparison. You should replace the 412+ with a 413j.

1 x 413j - $475
Total = $1303

See? It's actually cheaper. I rather just go with a 4 bay NAS with a cheap UPS which is even more secure than running 2x2 NAS.

Last edited:

Aegis

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 drives fail at the same time is quite a rare thing lah. Really just sway sway got power trip at my home out of the blue, switch back on 2 drives uplorry. The drives I'm using also not really built for NAS use anyway, so sway lor.

I got myself an APC UPS, one with a USB connection to the NAS. Mine is APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 900 but no need get until so hardcore one lah. I have this habit of buy one time buy a good unit so no need to think about it again. Think cost me around 325.

Now I configure my NAS to become the UPS server, so my UPS is connected directly to my NAS, my PC also connected to the UPS, and set it up to ping every 30 minutes since my PC is only switched on when I am at home. So if see my UPS start to kpkb know got power trip can shut down liao. :s13:

If I'm reading this correctly, your NAS is configured to let you know when the UPS kicks in during a power failure? How is this information sent to you?

Vulpix

Reaction score
If I'm reading this correctly, your NAS is configured to let you know when the UPS kicks in during a power failure? How is this information sent to you?

If you check the power setting in your NAS, you will find an option to check if your NAS can communicate with the UPS via an interface (most of the time USB cable from UPS to NAS/PC). So when there there is a trip, the UPS will kick in and tell the NAS that it is on battery power. I told my NAS to shutdown within 5 minutes of getting that signal. :D

My PC will do the same if I happen to not be there.

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Another question. Suppose I get 4 pieces of 3TB HDD for my 413j at the moment. One day in the future of I want to upgrade to 4 pieces of 4TB HDD, is it possible to migrate all data to new 4X 4TB setup?

Vulpix

Reaction score
Another question. Suppose I get 4 pieces of 3TB HDD for my 413j at the moment. One day in the future of I want to upgrade to 4 pieces of 4TB HDD, is it possible to migrate all data to new 4X 4TB setup?

There is no simple way to do it unfortunately. You have to copy it all to somewhere before you can do it. Upgrade to another Synology NAS is just a matter of plugging out the old drives and putting them into the new one, but changing the drives is an entire different ball game.

Aegis

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you check the power setting in your NAS, you will find an option to check if your NAS can communicate with the UPS via an interface (most of the time USB cable from UPS to NAS/PC). So when there there is a trip, the UPS will kick in and tell the NAS that it is on battery power. I told my NAS to shutdown within 5 minutes of getting that signal. :D

My PC will do the same if I happen to not be there.

Ok cool, I suaku didn't know it can do that. Maybe I will go get a UPS then, sounds like a good investment to protect against trips and such. My study does have a problem with tripping sometimes, think I have too many stuff on the grid. Any recommendations on a simple UPS?

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is no simple way to do it unfortunately. You have to copy it all to somewhere before you can do it. Upgrade to another Synology NAS is just a matter of plugging out the old drives and putting them into the new one, but changing the drives is an entire different ball game.

Thanks. It seems, I have to decide now whether to go for maximum capacity or not, which I may not even use up.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Ok cool, I suaku didn't know it can do that. Maybe I will go get a UPS then, sounds like a good investment to protect against trips and such. My study does have a problem with tripping sometimes, think I have too many stuff on the grid. Any recommendations on a simple UPS?

Not really, just go APC's website and look for one that suits your needs. Get one with a data port and make sure it has enough ports for your setup. Monitor, NAS, router, etc whatever other crap you wanna connect. If you have a power meter at home, check and see how much power your setup is consuming. These 300W UPS should buy you enough time to shut down your NAS/PC.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Thanks. It seems, I have to decide now whether to go for maximum capacity or not, which I may not even use up.

I personally think you should not bother with maximum capacity until you know you are going to hit the max for sure. 3TB seems to be good value for now.

ykcin0

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this problem?

I got a router behind router warning from my 2Wire RG.

My RG is connected to a gigabit switch and rest of my devices (and DS212j too) are connected to the network switch.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this problem?

I got a router behind router warning from my 2Wire RG.

My RG is connected to a gigabit switch and rest of my devices (and DS212j too) are connected to the network switch.

Wah sibeh cheem issue. :eek:

Chys

Master Member
Reaction score
The reason you want a 412+ is for the intel processor, faster speeds and transcoding feature only found on the 412+ and other Intel NAS. If none of those features makes sense to you, then don't put the 412+ in your list. Not a very fair comparison. You should replace the 412+ with a 413j.

1 x 413j - $475
Total = $1303

See? It's actually cheaper. I rather just go with a 4 bay NAS with a cheap UPS which is even more secure than running 2x2 NAS.

Great points! Thanks!

ttf

Reaction score
i got a 413J with 4x3TB Seagate barrcuda. i ask the IT-show person to help me configure it so that i have 1 redundancy.

Few questions.
1. How do i check whether i am on RAID-5 or SHR?
2. I downloaded the Apps DS-File. But when i try to open MKV video file on my iPad, it says video format not support. I then install DS-Video in my iPad, but unable to connect to NAS. Any guide that i can refer to?

Many thanks.

Vulpix

Reaction score
i got a 413J with 4x3TB Seagate barrcuda. i ask the IT-show person to help me configure it so that i have 1 redundancy.

Few questions.
1. How do i check whether i am on RAID-5 or SHR?
2. I downloaded the Apps DS-File. But when i try to open MKV video file on my iPad, it says video format not support. I then install DS-Video in my iPad, but unable to connect to NAS. Any guide that i can refer to?

Many thanks.

Check the synology wiki, most of the stuff you ask is there.

zidane88

Reaction score
Hi bros,

Just bought a 412+ and have a question.

I have 2 PCs (one with 10/100 NIC another with gigabit NIC) and synology 412+ NAS connected to the same gigabit router.

Will the PC with the 10/100 NIC connected to the Gigabit switch bring down the overall network performance causing the PC with gigabit NIC and Synology NAS to slow down to 10/100 speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.