[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJeris

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eh guys..

sometimes my NAS is unable to hibernate.

i didnt even run any stuffs.

any reason?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Owner of ds212j

I see Bizgram list Seagate 4TB HDD for $270, anyone bought this?

chuan

Reaction score
Hi everyone :D
RAID/NAS noob here. I have ZERO experience in NAS/RAID stuffs. I have read some online suggestions and now with suggestions from all of you, I will be able to make better decision.
----------------------------------

I need some expert advice on getting the right Synology 2 or 4 bays device and accessories. I will need minimum 3TB to store all my current data.

I have 3 computers. Have LAN port, No internet and No WIFI dongle. I want 2 to 3 computers to be able to access the drive at the same time.

What will be the best setup and what are the things that I should get?

Hope some of you can help.

Thank you very much! :s12:

Last edited:

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Hi everyone :D
RAID/NAS noob here. I have ZERO experience in NAS/RAID stuffs. I have read some online suggestions and now with suggestions from all of you, I will be able to make better decision.
----------------------------------

I need some expert advice on getting the right Synology 2 or 4 bays device and accessories. I will need minimum 3GB to store all my current data.

I have 3 computers. Have LAN port, No internet and No WIFI dongle. I want 2 to 3 computers to be able to access the drive at the same time.

What will be the best setup and what are the things that I should get?

Hope some of you can help.

Thank you very much! :s12:

3TB u mean?

2 or 4 bays depends on your requirement not anyone can just tell you what to do.

but if budget permit, 4 bay.

buy the NAS and a cheap dumb switch for all 3 to use at 1 instance.

ckhj20

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just got my 212J with 2 x 2TB WD Red with some noob questions.

Transfer speed starts off at 11mb/s and sustains at around 4+mb/s. I have enabled Jumbo Frame 7K. The speeds seems the same even when I plug in direct.

I'm not too sure of my Ethernet card, Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller(NDIS6.20) -> I can't google much info on it, Is this Gigabit enabled? Even if it is not, the transfer speed should be better I suppose?

Current setup: PC -> Dlink Gigabit Switch -> Router

Thanks!!

Vulpix

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just got my 212J with 2 x 2TB WD Red with some noob questions.

Transfer speed starts off at 11mb/s and sustains at around 4+mb/s. I have enabled Jumbo Frame 7K. The speeds seems the same even when I plug in direct.

I'm not too sure of my Ethernet card, Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller(NDIS6.20) -> I can't google much info on it, Is this Gigabit enabled? Even if it is not, the transfer speed should be better I suppose?

Current setup: PC -> Dlink Gigabit Switch -> Router

Thanks!!
The part where you set your jumbo frames on the NAS itself will show you whether you are connected via gigabit. Whether your card can support Gigabit I suggest you check the manufacturer's site.

chuan

Reaction score
3TB u mean?

2 or 4 bays depends on your requirement not anyone can just tell you what to do.

but if budget permit, 4 bay.

buy the NAS and a cheap dumb switch for all 3 to use at 1 instance.

Oh ya.. typo.. 3TB minimum.

Cheap dumb switch is like a USB hub at? I noticed that Synology drive got LAN port. Can it be used to transfer files?

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Oh ya.. typo.. 3TB minimum.

Cheap dumb switch is like a USB hub at? I noticed that Synology drive got LAN port. Can it be used to transfer files?

yes, hub or switch will do.

of course it comes equipped with LAN ports.
NAS = Network Attached Storage. without it, how will it quantify as a network device?

ckhj20

Reaction score
The part where you set your jumbo frames on the NAS itself will show you whether you are connected via gigabit. Whether your card can support Gigabit I suggest you check the manufacturer's site.

Hi Bro, I remembered seeing '1000', I suppose its in Giga mode? Then its really weird on the writing speed I'm having now.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Hi Bro, I remembered seeing '1000', I suppose its in Giga mode? Then its really weird on the writing speed I'm having now.

1000 is giga mode. Your cable is it CAT5e and above? I already seen before fake or bad quality CAT5e cables people buy from certain sites. Replace and see if it's still happening. If it still doesn't help, most likely your problem is elsewhere.

Chys

Master Member
Reaction score
Just a guide from my experiment, ds212j can achieve 40mbps on my gigabyte network. Interestingly in my case, jumbo frame turned off is better.

yukita

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
disable the jumbo frame, from my personal testing, if you switch doesnt support jumbo frame, it will drop the package and handshake one more time, this will cause the speed to drop quite significant (your exp may vary though).

another things is if your switch do support jumbo frame, please enable the jumbo frame on the network port also.

weap0nx

Master Member
Reaction score
In my experience jumbo frames is not worth it.. I turn it off in all my network equipment and still get 100+ MB/sec throughput on my 1511+. it is only good for benchmarking, in real world terms it's hardly the outstanding component.

One should locate the true bottleneck in the pipeline which is usually on the drive read/write stage or CPU bottleneck. I ensure my systems are not the cause of bottleneck..

Vulpix

Reaction score
disable the jumbo frame, from my personal testing, if you switch doesnt support jumbo frame, it will drop the package and handshake one more time, this will cause the speed to drop quite significant (your exp may vary though).

another things is if your switch do support jumbo frame, please enable the jumbo frame on the network port also.

In my experience jumbo frames is not worth it.. I turn it off in all my network equipment and still get 100+ MB/sec throughput on my 1511+. it is only good for benchmarking, in real world terms it's hardly the outstanding component.

One should locate the true bottleneck in the pipeline which is usually on the drive read/write stage or CPU bottleneck. I ensure my systems are not the cause of bottleneck..

I think it also depends on your router? I enabled 4k on mine and speeds increased. A quick check on snb forums also showed that my Engenius 9850 supports jumbo frames, although not documented.

weap0nx

Master Member
Reaction score
I think it also depends on your router? I enabled 4k on mine and speeds increased. A quick check on snb forums also showed that my Engenius 9850 supports jumbo frames, although not documented.

Yeah speeds increased on mine as well but very slightly, plus I am already getting 100 - 110 MB/sec, even 110->120MB/sec does not make a difference to me. If I get <90MB/sec transfer I will be suspecting the problem is elsewhere and will not be trying to get back speed by jumbo frames.

I guess what I'm saying is real world performance decrease, or slowness, cannot be fixed by jumbo frames. Once you fix these problems, things will be fast anyway and jumbo frames will not make a big diff, that's why I am fine living without jumbo frames. In fact introducing it create more variables that I am happier to live without.

But of course this is just my own opinion of things :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.