[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukita

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree... HP Procurve switch is one of the best in terms of feature for SMB setup... but it is still quite costly...

Personally I am using Cisco Small Business Switch for my VM testing and it works fairly well. I can even perform port aggregation, although I need to delve into the console to perform it.
For testing or personal use, i think normal switch will do. :)

I do use the cisco small business 8 ports for testing purpose. Tp link and dlink also cheap and good. Just that it doesnt support LAG

TheDisgruntedCitizen

Master Member
Reaction score
Maybe just have bad experience with it before....
Bought 2 units of 48 ports gigabit L2 dumb switch, experience random drop out for every clients at office.... Vendor bring their network engineer to troubleshoot... Even the CCIE engineer cannot find the issue.... Well not his fault, cos its a dumb switch, nothing to set! So get the vendor change to procurve.... All settled! Just plug n play!

hmmm... maybe because both my units are L3 switch? Fo dumb switch... there are so many much more affordable units out in the market...

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I see. The 8 port procure can be had for about 210 to 220. I think quite reasonable. Maybe I go find a second hand set to play around.

garagelane

Reaction score
hi guys, currently i am using ds 412+, earlier i saw the writing speed that u all achieve is 100+mb/s with nas tester but mine is only 40+mb/s, how did u all achieve tt? can someone enlighten me wat i need to improve on to get tt speed. currently i am using ont->asus n66u->nas all using belden cat 6 cable-> on myrepublic 150mbps plan. TIA.

jeffong

Reaction score
Been using a DS-2411+ for a year plus now. Had upgraded from a QNAP TS-409 Pro box when I ran out of disk capacity. Been very pleased with Synology's constant upgrades of their DSM firmware. Currently it's setup with 6 units of 3TB Hitachi drives using SHR-1 RAID config and have been pleased with it's performance. It has even survived 3 power trips so far.

However since it's hard to find these Hitachi drives anymore, I'll like to find out more about fellow NAS owners experience with the new WD Red drives. Cheapest I have found so far for this drive is $211 from Video Pro. Planning to setup a separate Raid 6 or 10 volume to hold v.important data.

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hi guys, currently i am using ds 412+, earlier i saw the writing speed that u all achieve is 100+mb/s with nas tester but mine is only 40+mb/s, how did u all achieve tt? can someone enlighten me wat i need to improve on to get tt speed. currently i am using ont->asus n66u->nas all using belden cat 6 cable-> on myrepublic 150mbps plan. TIA.

What is the NIC your are using? Router is fine. Is your cat 6 cable terminated properly? For cat 6 , the wires are supposed to be crossed.

trashley

Reaction score
Been using a DS-2411+ for a year plus now. Had upgraded from a QNAP TS-409 Pro box when I ran out of disk capacity. Been very pleased with Synology's constant upgrades of their DSM firmware. Currently it's setup with 6 units of 3TB Hitachi drives using SHR-1 RAID config and have been pleased with it's performance. It has even survived 3 power trips so far.

However since it's hard to find these Hitachi drives anymore, I'll like to find out more about fellow NAS owners experience with the new WD Red drives. Cheapest I have found so far for this drive is $211 from Video Pro. Planning to setup a separate Raid 6 or 10 volume to hold v.important data.

i got my 3tb red from storage studio for $210 2 weeks back.

trashley

Reaction score
How can i transfer my iPhoto library over to the NAS without indexing? i've already removed the shared photo folder to be a indexed folder for photos under "Media Indexing Service" in the control panel but it is still converting the whatever is in my library to thumbnails.

my library is about 100gb and it will take the NAS running at 100% CPU for 3-4 weeks to finish uploading. i've tried using the synology photo assistant but it is still mind numbingly slow.

anyone faced similar issues?

garagelane

Reaction score
What is the NIC your are using? Router is fine. Is your cat 6 cable terminated properly? For cat 6 , the wires are supposed to be crossed.

Hi currently i am connecting my laptop to my router using my belden cable which is bought from LHS from sim lim tower i presume shld be fine? and my nic is Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0). or is it because i am currently only using 1 hdd which is wd red 3TB with shr tt is causing the slowness? Thanks for ur help:)

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi currently i am connecting my laptop to my router using my belden cable which is bought from LHS from sim lim tower i presume shld be fine? and my nic is Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0). or is it because i am currently only using 1 hdd which is wd red 3TB with shr tt is causing the slowness? Thanks for ur help:)

You able to test with another laptop, preferably one that is powerful. This is to ensure that the laptop sub systems like hard disk are not the bottleneck.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
One of the best features I like in Synology is the Video Station. It has this auto detection which identifies the movie file and shows it in the listing. Very cool.

But some of my movies have the wrong description? It's done automatically I know but some of my movies are 'tagged' wrongly. How do I change this?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I saw that a few of the posters are discussing about using LAG. My opinion towards most modest size setup is don't bother. The equipments you are using and the bandwidth you are getting is out cancelling each other in the process.

For LAG, you need multiple clients to spread the bandwidth across multiple physical links. One client is not going to occupy the full bandwidth of the links. LAG is unlike Balance-RR meanwhile only found in unix implementations.

Those benchmark on achieving 100+MBps or even 200MBps are purely sequential access. Once you have more than 1 sequential access to the same volume, the actual bandwidth will quickly degrade to even less than a single 1Gbps bandwidth.

So you can see where the diverge is. You want more bandwidth, you use LAG. LAG need multiple clients access to take advantage of LAG. But as you have multiple clients accessing, the access nature upon the volume turn into random access. Random access are low in performance for spindles.

LAG is only really useful for large SAN with hundreds of spindles that gives enormous IOPs which are in the thousands range. Even for a high performance SAS at 15Krpms, we are only taking about 100+ IOPs.

Take note, SAS interface are duplex while SATA interface are simplex. Hence SATA interfaces just doesn't have the juice to cut for random access. On top of that, unless, you are using the top notch 10Krpms SATA, don't expect good random access.

Furthermore, you are spending on more expensive switches that support LAG.

If you really want network performance from these modest Synology NAS, choose to use iSCSI target with MPIO. I have tested it before using just a single cheap L2 switch with 2 NICs and the performance will easily surpass 100MBps. It's done using Windows Server iSCSI initiator on MPIO. Very easy to setup, the same can be achieved in Unices too

Feel free to read my reports found at post #27 in this thread http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/storage-clinic-119/need-nas-recommendation-4071349.html

shadowandy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Synology DS412+ Speed Test

Just for information. Did a speed test last year on the Synology DS412+ with 4 x 3TB WD Red drives. No link aggregation.

For 4000MB file, it is managing at around 110 MB/s write and 106 MB/s read speed.
ds412speedtest01.png

For 2000MB file, it managing at around 111 MB/s write and 114 MB/s read speed.
ds412speedtest02.png

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
seems that Synology NAS is not working properly with the time machine , is it true ?

Xenoearth

Reaction score
seems that Synology NAS is not working properly with the time machine , is it true ?

Nope. I managed to perform Time Machine backups with my MBP on Mountain Lion.

However, I noticed that for the first TM sync, if I were to use my MBP while the syncing was in progress, my MBP would kernel panic.

justmelah

Reaction score
UPS

HI guys,

got a 412+ w/ 4x 2tb red WD priorly.

Would like to have a UPS to safeguard.

What would be good? 650va APc, USB enable shutdown? Or more than that

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.