[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slang

Master Member
Reaction score
a complete newbie in NAS here. Here to learn more.

Looking at Synology 413J at the moment but had some queries to check with you guys. Pardon me if I am asking stupid questions. :)

Main usage is to use this NAS for streaming HD mkv files movies, sharing of data across various platform and also use it as a torrent download platform as well.

Am still thinking of setting up 3-4 IP wifi cameras to it as well. Will this 413J be good enough for me or i need to go for 413 model?

I am thinking of just kicking off with 2 X 3TB internal HDD and add on more at later stage as I am still trying out NAS for the very 1st time.
I have a number of spare External HDD as well, possible for me to plug to the USB port and use it as a third HDD as well?

Any particular brand or specs of the internal HDD to look out for? or recommendation? Or I can simply get any seagate or WD 5200/7200rpm Desktop HDD is good enough?

kyo9920

Reaction score
Hi all Synology users, would the use of the Synology NAS allow for streaming of HD movies from the IPAD outside?
I have a Buffalo NAS and it could not do that.

Much thanks in advance.

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all Synology users, would the use of the Synology NAS allow for streaming of HD movies from the IPAD outside?

Much thanks in advance.

it depends more on the bandwidth you have not the NAS imo

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
a complete newbie in NAS here. Here to learn more.

Looking at Synology 413J at the moment but had some queries to check with you guys. Pardon me if I am asking stupid questions. :)

Main usage is to use this NAS for streaming HD mkv files movies, sharing of data across various platform and also use it as a torrent download platform as well.

Am still thinking of setting up 3-4 IP wifi cameras to it as well. Will this 413J be good enough for me or i need to go for 413 model?

I am thinking of just kicking off with 2 X 3TB internal HDD and add on more at later stage as I am still trying out NAS for the very 1st time.
I have a number of spare External HDD as well, possible for me to plug to the USB port and use it as a third HDD as well?

Any particular brand or specs of the internal HDD to look out for? or recommendation? Or I can simply get any seagate or WD 5200/7200rpm Desktop HDD is good enough?

imo, if you going to get IP cam, i think ASUStor NAS suits you better.

fribro

Reaction score

Much thanks in advance.
why not before i was on buffalo nas no problem streaming ipad from outside using ftp.

BrOwnTeddy

Banned
Reaction score
Looking at a Rack Mountable NAS that is scalable cos going to build my home storage and server.

Just wondering if a Synology is good enough? Or maybe I should just buy my own Mobo, HDDs and rack mount chassis and DIY everything myself? Hmmm.....

wai

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Assume you want the NAS to initiate the backup from the network share?

Actually you can, but you'll need to figure out how to script it from the NAS command line.

(ie, from the NAS command line, connect to the network share, copy files from network share, schedule this as a cron job)

that's right, any guide on how to do it?

whizzard

Reaction score

Much thanks in advance.

You mean streaming movies from your NAS to your iPad?

Yes, Synology has dedicated apps (e.g. DS photo+, DS video, DS audio, etc) which you can download from the AppStore onto your iPad or iPhone. You can use those apps to access your photos, movies and music stored in your NAS from any location with a "decent" internet connection.

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
new update available

Version: 4.3-3810 Update 1

(2013/11/20)
Compatibility and Installation

DSM 4.3-3810 Update 1 can only be installed on Synology products running DSM 4.3-3810 via DSM Update. Please log in to DSM and go to Control Panel > DSM Update to install the update.
Fixed Issues

Fixed a system security issue.
Improved the compatibility of file uploading with Internet Explorer 11 in File Station.

slang

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone knows if there will be a huge significant differences between 413 and 413J? 413 is duo core

also, can i just purchase any Int HDD to use it?
think 3TB now shd be the most value for money in terms of per TB.
any brand and made will work well and good?

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Those who are using HP 1810 & Synology

Under Trunk Configuration / Mode
Static or LACP Active or LACP Passive

What's the difference?

Googled already. But too chim to understand.

I just want Max Speed

herodieyoung

Reaction score
anyone knows if there will be a huge significant differences between 413 and 413J? 413 is duo core

also, can i just purchase any Int HDD to use it?
think 3TB now shd be the most value for money in terms of per TB.
any brand and made will work well and good?

I just bought my 413 at Sim Lim for $499, comparing with 413J which is $459, pay $40 more gets you duo core, hot swappable drives, to me 413 more worth it. Maybe @ Sitex you can get a even better price for 413.

strife2

Master Member
Reaction score
Ya media pro had 413 for 499. Now left 413j for 499 zzz next cheapest is at laser liao 549. Hoping sitex got cheaper deal....

slang

Master Member
Reaction score
aiyaa wasted...wanna chiong 413 now its no more...they said upgraded to 414 and $600 over bucks!

anyone using 414? any significant differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.