[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
interested in getting the 214se but I was wondering what exactly they mean by low power limits your apps? I'm planning to use it to back up an OS drive and maybe run a web server.

What kind of heavy app usage do you all use it for?

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
interested in getting the 214se but I was wondering what exactly they mean by low power limits your apps? I'm planning to use it to back up an OS drive and maybe run a web server.

What kind of heavy app usage do you all use it for?
I think the main difference is that the 214se ram like lower.... so will probably affect performance

ForThePride

Reaction score
Curious to know how memory and processor speed affect performance if I am using it to stream videos over the local network to a media player for example a Roku 3.

I am looking at DS 214SE(0.8GHz & 256MB ram) vs DS 213J (1.2GHz & 512MB ram).

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Curious to know how memory and processor speed affect performance if I am using it to stream videos over the local network to a media player for example a Roku 3.

I am looking at DS 214SE(0.8GHz & 256MB ram) vs DS 213J (1.2GHz & 512MB ram).

For streaming, not much difference

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Is nas a good backup system? Because the system running ...

strife2

Master Member
Reaction score
if your nas run 24/7, got at least 1 hdd for hotswap, it is a good storage system with backup

(at least until the nas go bonkers and has 2 hdd die on you den u gg)

Fast

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is the 20th 1513+ bundle worth it at $2369? usually go there buy can nego further discount?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I think at least get 2 ba but not all in one time. But than will nas got virus one? Lol. What if electric shortage?

if your nas run 24/7, got at least 1 hdd for hotswap, it is a good storage system with backup

(at least until the nas go bonkers and has 2 hdd die on you den u gg)

eurofunk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just realised another "hike" in price incase ppl kena Robert

1813+ now ace selling 1336, previous cee show selling only 1299 w/free upgrade ram to 4gb

strife2

Master Member
Reaction score
I think at least get 2 ba but not all in one time. But than will nas got virus one? Lol. What if electric shortage?

i am getting a feeling you are just trolling me so .... nah not gonna reply to that:s22:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
who got time to trolling u? i search online and some1 did say. if got electric shortage and cause the hardware to spoil.. hdd also will die off.

If u r use it for backup this is very important to me where NAS is new to me.
U think everyone in HWZ like to troll meh? I ask because i dont know if not i ask for what?

i am getting a feeling you are just trolling me so .... nah not gonna reply to that:s22:

Last edited:

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

There is no need to get 2 hard disk for hot swap, because you will not likely be in time to prevent the next hard disk failure if your components are so fragile.

Lets be concise between backup and hot swap. Backup is just another copy of the same data. Hotswap in storage normally refer to the availability of extra disk for automated swapping with the failed component in an array in the event of a disk failure. Without hot swap configured, it means the administrator will need to manually place and configure a replacement disk into the array.

No hard disk appointed for other purposes can be used for hot swap. Hot swap disk candidates cannot be repurpose until they are removed from the array configuration.

NAS do not provide protection against virus. It is the job of an antivirus job to detect virus. NAS that allow running of applications in it, may have antivirus packages offered to allow scanning of the array without the intervention of the user or any other systems/hosts. This is a feature, not necessarily available to all NAS solutions.

Electric shortage happens for all peripherals may it be computer related or even storage related. The common approach to using UPS to prevent such event from corrupting the storage system. Synology offers integration with some UPS where the UPS can notify the NAS in the event of a power failure. The NAS can be configured to react by shutdown as soon as possible or shutdown after some time or shutdown when the battery in the UPS is low. The main purpose is to allow proper shutdown of the NAS in the event of a power outrage. That will prevent any form of disk corruption. UPS also prevent against power surge, and spikes.

I have been running my NAS 24by7 for more than 2 years on RAID 6 with 2 level backups. Throughout the lifecycle, I have encountered 1 or 2 blackouts and 2 hard disk failures with NO data lost.

eurofunk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this round like quite quiet ah...not many ppl whack the higher capacity units

LifeCreator

Reaction score
Any Comment of DS214play?

Hi, any comment of DS214play (Dual Core1.6, 1gbRam) ? Think to buy it for Movie, Music and IP Camera (2-3 units)?

Anyone have the specification of DS413? unable to find in Synology's website anymore, and not sure which Challenger outlet still have stock and price, try called Challenger but no one pickup. :(

jimmyleong

Master Member
Reaction score
if budget allows, it is better to get a 413, 414 or 1513?

just want to have the best value for money nas. me currently having a 413j and another d-link 4 bay.

thanks in advance.

eurofunk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if budget allows, it is better to get a 413, 414 or 1513?

just want to have the best value for money nas. me currently having a 413j and another d-link 4 bay.

thanks in advance.

1513...but this time price seems more exp than previous show

DELTAFORCE

Reaction score
Synology DS-213J

ah! i finally got my 213+ up and running with 2 x 4TB with RAID1

so i coupied all my shows/movies and stuff into the shared folder..

i can see it in my windows/mac computer...

i do have an old media player that i was using with the previous DNS323 nas. the 323 does who up on this media player . i had to go to media browser -> workgroup -> dlink323nas

but now.. my diskstation does show up in the media browser-> workgroup> diskstation. but when i select it.. it says no video or anything..

is there somehting i need to enable? i can browser my nas from mobile with dataplan...

I have the same problem. Using Dlink 320 previously, I could view the share folder on my media player. Recently upgraded to Synology DS-312J NAS but my media player cannot view the files on the share folder anymore. I could only see /Net/Diskstation with the message " the current directory is empty " but surprisingly I could see all the files on my PC.

Any kind soul can help or did I miss out anything?

Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.