[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litmuss

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
noob question about NAS...

I'm looking for a 2-Bay NAS for general storage and HD video streaming and connection via HDMI to "dumb tv" / other smart devices. Also downloading of video wireless to NAS from laptop. Is it possible?

Proximus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
new update available

Version: 4.3-3810 Update 1

(2013/11/20)
Compatibility and Installation

DSM 4.3-3810 Update 1 can only be installed on Synology products running DSM 4.3-3810 via DSM Update. Please log in to DSM and go to Control Panel > DSM Update to install the update.
Fixed Issues

Fixed a system security issue.
Improved the compatibility of file uploading with Internet Explorer 11 in File Station.

Any one faced issues after upgrading to the latest firmware?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i got a noob question. If i allows file sharing for my friends and they download movies and songs from my folder to their com, Is this consider illegal as this is a web base with ip address server.

Well it is possible that you have infringed the copyright law if the contents does not belong to you. It doesn't matter if you share through whatever means, even if it is copy each digital code on a piece of paper and pass to someone else, it is still a copy and infringement of the copyright law if the contents does not belong to you.

Buying intangible contents such as music, software, movies from other content providers doesn't mean you own the piece of item. It only means you are licensed to use them within the period, devices, and environment, ownership stipulated by the license. You didn't own anything except the rights to use it.

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm mayb a stupid question, just setup my nas hybrid raid.

so how do i know if my 2 bay hdd is mirrored when i copy data over to a folder?

eurofunk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
131128-ace-bazaar-asustor-acti-hiti-synology-seagate-wd-pg1.jpg

There is free upgrade to 4GB RAM for 1513+ and 1813+.

It is painful to invest but I am thinking of doing it once and forget about it for a few years. Afterall data is priceless, especially children growing up progress and family and holiday photos.

How many of you here are running Raid 5, 6 or 10?

My current 413J is running in Raid 5.

No one has information about Memory World's price offers?

skip this round...lousy prices even cee prices were slightly better...

gamestation100

Reaction score
Well it is possible that you have infringed the copyright law if the contents does not belong to you. It doesn't matter if you share through whatever means, even if it is copy each digital code on a piece of paper and pass to someone else, it is still a copy and infringement of the copyright law if the contents does not belong to you.

Buying intangible contents such as music, software, movies from other content providers doesn't mean you own the piece of item. It only means you are licensed to use them within the period, devices, and environment, ownership stipulated by the license. You didn't own anything except the rights to use it.

oh.... Thanks for the advice. =)

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm mayb a stupid question, just setup my nas hybrid raid.

so how do i know if my 2 bay hdd is mirrored when i copy data over to a folder?

Remove one hard disk and the thing still function, means it's working. This is the most direct testing approach. But when placing back the hard disk, it will most likely require a Recovery process which will take hours.

If you have no confidence in the mechanism, then you are recommended to perform the actual disaster recovery operation. Perform the same operation of plugging out one hard disk, copy some data into the NAS again, put back the hard disk and see how the NAS react. Wait for recovery to complete. Perform the same operation on the other hard disk.

There is no point to mentally convince yourself that the redundancy works. See it for yourself.

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Remove one hard disk and the thing still function, means it's working. This is the most direct testing approach. But when placing back the hard disk, it will most likely require a Recovery process which will take hours.

If you have no confidence in the mechanism, then you are recommended to perform the actual disaster recovery operation. Perform the same operation of plugging out one hard disk, copy some data into the NAS again, put back the hard disk and see how the NAS react. Wait for recovery to complete. Perform the same operation on the other hard disk.

There is no point to mentally convince yourself that the redundancy works. See it for yourself.
thanks for the info

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yesterday the synology guy from Sitex told me that mediabox located at another location cannot be used to stream movies from my home is this true? He said streaming can be done only using laptop or PC on another location. Not to mediabox.

If this is true then i am hesitant to buy it already.

cos initially thot that it would be nice if during christmas gathering, can watch movies in another location via media box connected to the modem - to the TV.

anyone can confirm this?

Google DLNA .

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i want to ask this
Back up your Synology NAS to a USB/eSATA disk

is NAS backup the WHOLE NAS storage to external or just sync those update one? cannot be all ba.. like tht very long

Kyubi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm one more thing. . need help

Basically already setup the ddns already, but notice when i type in the url, eg. xxxx@synology.me, it gaves me a page cannot display. While keying xxxx@synology.me:5000, then i can see the page.

Did i do something wrong in my settings? or is it related to my 2wire router?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i want to ask this
Back up your Synology NAS to a USB/eSATA disk

is NAS backup the WHOLE NAS storage to external or just sync those update one? cannot be all ba.. like tht very long

Synology does incremental backup

Cryptrus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
one qns .... juz gotten DS214play... when streaming movies, mp4 will open VLC player and play...but mkv files i was asked to d/l, cant stream....anybody can advise? Thks

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I guess the reason why this show is more expensive than the previous comex is because for this show, products are sold by the reseller while last show was by ace, who is the distributor.

Luckily I bought my nas the previous show and bought the HDD this show. They are really cheap! wd red 4tb for 250 when it retails for 278.

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
hmm one more thing. . need help

Basically already setup the ddns already, but notice when i type in the url, eg. xxxx@synology.me, it gaves me a page cannot display. While keying xxxx@synology.me:5000, then i can see the page.

Did i do something wrong in my settings? or is it related to my 2wire router?

Nothing is wrong. If you want it without the port no...

1 way is to mapped to port 80. Otherwise all other ports you will have to state it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.