Need advice (cont work or quit job and focus on studies)

haven_paradise

Reaction score
Hi everyone, been a while since i last posted on HWZ forum.
Anyways, needed some advice here which is why the reason for my post, would be glad to receive any feedbacks!

So to start off with a bit of background...
Im currently working as a programmer for abt 3 yrs now, and i can say i do love my job, though it can be quite taxing at times. On top of that, im also taking part time degree in SUSS, and i started since 2015, so its quite a long "journey" already.

Ok so the thing is, i am still left with 1.5 years more till the end of my candidature period, but i still have about 10 modules left to clear. Which means, in order for me to grad, i would need to take at least 3-4 modules each sem in the next coming semesters.

Anyway to cut the story short, i had a discussion with my boss about the situation with my studies and asked him whether any arrangement can be done to allow me to balance both my work n studies. (Given that a programming job can be very taxing).

So he offered me 2 options...

1.) If i still want to continue in my job, he can make some slight adjustments such that i can work 4 days/week, so i have an additional day off, plus the weekends to manage my studies. And on top of that, he will assign me to work on supporting/enhancement of current systems with no new development projects given, so there wont be any deadline for me and i can cope with my studies.

2.) If i am not able to cope with work and studies, then the best is to resign and focus fully on my studies. Ok there is a bit of "catch" here.. All these while i have been working and studying, just that i only take 1-2 modules each sem, so it is still manageable. But now with my current situation, i need to take at least 3-4 modules each sem while working, so it is definitely going to add more stress, plus i may need to "adjust" my current lifestyle such as sacrificing personal time/ time for friends etc.. so yup.

So right now, i am in a dilemma.. which option to go for..

If i choose (1), yes the gd thing is i still have a job (and income), while for the bad, i will have to cope with 3-4 modules each sem while working at the same time (which i have never done before as previously i only take 1-2 modules each sem so its still quite manageable). Perhaps would be gd if anyone who has done this before (ie. take 3-4 mods and working) can share their exp with me? Besides this, there is also another small "concern" of mine. Noting that i will mainly be doing supporting tasks and not much on development projects, hence i would have nth much to "show" and will remain "stagnant" for maybe about 2 years. Which means i may not have much progress in terms of pay increment or promotion.. and that my colleague (who is currently same position as me) may surpass me to get promoted. (I mean, imagine seeing your peers becoming your "seniors".. how would u feel?)

If i choose (2), definitely i would have more time to focus on my studies and also time for friends and family, and perhaps able to score better grades. But bad thing is, i would have no income for that entire period of maybe 2 years. I did have some savings so i guess i am still able to sustain for quite a while. Just that... im not that "young" anymore (already in my 30s).. so am not sure will it still be easy or harder for me to find a job after i grad with the degree.. also not sure if im able to find a programming job (which is something that i like).

So yup, both (1) and (2) have their pros and cons.. but i would like to hear some feedbacks or advice which option should i choose.. such that i will not regret in future??

On a side note, i did think of giving up my degree too.. but some friends have been telling me not to give up and just continue on since im already more than halfway thru the entire course, with maybe about 30% more modules to complete? Yeah so it will be quite a waste if i just give up like that..

Any feedbacks is greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited:

MajiMax

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Previously, I have took 4 main modules and 1 Ucore module while working full-time. Literally, I had to do TMAs every weekend + weekday midnight in order to complete the assignments on time. You may want to consider your physical and mental health if you were to go for this option.

Alternatively, you may want to write in to your head of programme to see if he/she could grant you an exception case to extend the candidature period.

haven_paradise

Reaction score
Previously, I have took 4 main modules and 1 Ucore module while working full-time. Literally, I had to do TMAs every weekend + weekday midnight in order to complete the assignments on time. You may want to consider your physical and mental health if you were to go for this option.

Alternatively, you may want to write in to your head of programme to see if he/she could grant you an exception case to extend the candidature period.

I see, thanks for replying.

So i supposed you have graduated? Do you have any study buddy or you are just studying on your own? Also, your job is like 9 to 5 that kind, allowing u to knock off on time? Those 4 main modules u took.. are they a mix of ECA and Exam-based? Or all are exam based kind?

Yup i did check with the school, they mentioned at the end of the candidature period, there will be an email sent asking if you want to extend for another sem (which you must complete at least 90 cu to qualify).
Im also thinking to extend for another sem, so i can well balance my time for the remaining modules. But im just afraid should i fail any modules, then i may have to repeat them and have to extend a few semesters, as those modules which im left with are level 2 and 3 modules, which are much tougher, and some level 3 modules are really tough (from what i heard from seniors who have taken and repeated them)..

MajiMax

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have graduated. I have a bunch of study group mates to study together, which it helped a lot in the studies and outside of studies.

My work allowed me to knock off on time to attend the physical lessons. I did my academic journals or seminar slides readings while I on my way to work/home. And, this is so that I could straightaway work on the TMAs the moment I reach home. The modules were all exam-based.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.