Need advice on potential purchase of MacBook Air

Byfrost

Reaction score
Thanks for the information folks. Looks like I'll be getting the MacBook air! But likely to wait for Apple Silicon version to be out, since rumors are spreading around that it may arrive Q4 2020 or Q1 2021.

Shutterfly

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information folks. Looks like I'll be getting the MacBook air! But likely to wait for Apple Silicon version to be out, since rumors are spreading around that it may arrive Q4 2020 or Q1 2021.

You have to take into consideration the kind of apps you need on the Mac. Many third party apps like Dropbox may not run on day 1. Windows not supported as well except through virtualisation.

-Grift-

Reaction score

You have to take into consideration the kind of apps you need on the Mac. Many third party apps like Dropbox may not run on day 1. Windows not supported as well except through virtualisation.

^ consider the above. No guarantees that whatever I mentioned will still be the case when the transition happens.

Byfrost

Reaction score

^ consider the above. No guarantees that whatever I mentioned will still be the case when the transition happens.

Thanks for the heads up!

The Macbook air will be a super casual use laptop. Spotify, Netflix, Facebook, Instagram, browsing various other forums, Youtube, WhatsApp, Skype/Zoom kinda of use. Nothing extreme. I understand that Bootcamp will be out, but that's not an issue as I already have a proper gaming Windows gaming Setup.

This is a "I am lazy to get out of bed device" as my gaming PC is quite a distance from my bed. I'm contemplating to get a iPad but decided against it and go for a laptop instead (because I used before iOS but never use before MacOS).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up!

The Macbook air will be a super casual use laptop. Spotify, Netflix, Facebook, Instagram, browsing various other forums, Youtube, WhatsApp, Skype/Zoom kinda of use. Nothing extreme. I understand that Bootcamp will be out, but that's not an issue as I already have a proper gaming Windows gaming Setup.

This is a "I am lazy to get out of bed device" as my gaming PC is quite a distance from my bed. I'm contemplating to get a iPad but decided against it and go for a laptop instead (because I used before iOS but never use before MacOS).

Actually iPad is a better device as an "I am lazy to get out of bed device".:D

Still it is good to try macOS.

After using Mac Mini 2011 from late 2011- early 2018, I will say macOS is great. I actually ran various Windows, Linux and other OS VMs on top of it.

Now I am not really using a PC at home (the only Windows laptop is mainly used by wife and kids). But I may go and buy the new ARM based Mac Mini in the future when it comes out.

Last edited:

orochifj

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up!

so you got your macbook air? kena verification from apple? xD

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am planning to buy the base model of MacBook Air (base model $1,449). I have 0 experience on MacOS and my last Apple Product I used was iPhone 5. As I am looking to get a new laptop, I'm taking the chance to try using MacOS instead of Windows.

Question 1) I see that they have a education store with noticeable discount ($1,299). I also read that Apple has this clause in their Terms and Conditions that "Apple routinely audits the purchases of customers at the Apple Store for Education to insure that only eligible purchases have ordered and that all purchase conditions have been observed. etc etc..." What are the chances that this will happen?

Question 2) Anyone here has purchased AppleCare+? Do you think I should purchase it with the MacBook Air? How was your experience with AppleCare+? Is it worth it?
As long as you are a student or a staff in Poly or UNI, no issues…

best to get the Apple care+ cuz the default 1 year warranty only covers mfg defects

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.