Network dilemma on Starhub TV+

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually, i have the initial same issue with TS....needed the TV+ boxes in my living room and 1 bedroom for my folks and the nokia beacon wifi also like crap....am looking for a solution to resetup my home network lan/wifi. i have cat6 cable from my switchbox/ont to all my room too. does anyone know of a good router with more than 4 LAN ports, with smaller footprint (like 8 lan ports, <20cm depth) that can serve IP TV (without using nokia beacons)

basically i am trying to
- ONT to this new router
- router LAN to all my other 4 rooms rooms, and living room
- my living room likely need another switch or router(bridge) to my TV+ , soundbar, TV . i plan to use IPTV option if available on this new router
- my master bedroom will need to serve another TV+ box
- other 3 rooms like LAN
- wifi just need normal performance. mesh will be great i can have but not essential

headache siah. wife wants to watch free to air and TVB, otherwise i don't need the silly TV+ . i have shortlisted linksys MR9600, asus ax88u and one more TP-link model, but the asus and TP link ones are damn big

Easier solution is to use any router you like but you need to use meWatch on the TV+ box for the Free to Air channels. Recommendations will be Asus RT-AX86U plus RT-AX58U.

If you do not want to use meWatch, then you have to go with two units of Linksys Velop MX4200 (Starhub Smart Wifi Pro). It has four LAN ports.

ONT -- Linksys Velop MX4200 main router

Living room LAN port -- Linksys Velop MX4200 mesh node -- TV+, etc
Master room LAN port -- TV+ box

Two units pack is about S$598 from Challenger. You may check with Starhub to see if they offer cheaper price for you.

Last edited:

ALacs

Reaction score
thanks, was also considering velop mx4200, but has it got 3 or 4 Lan ports? cos the website shows 3, https://www.linksys.com/sg/whole-ho...-6-system-mx4200/p/p-mx4200/#product-features

i actually plan to use ethernet backhaul method hence i need to have 5 ports actually for my main router. but maybe 4 can work. and starub don't give a damn abt customer , they just asked me wait till contract lapse to recontract and get the velop , smh. its ok, i rather get myself and save the headache

Easier solution is to use any router you like but you need to use meWatch on the TV+ box for the Free to Air channels. Recommendations will be Asus RT-AX86U plus RT-AX58U.

If you do not want to use meWatch, then you have to go with two units of Linksys Velop MX4200 (Starhub Smart Wifi Pro). It has four LAN ports.

ONT -- Linksys Velop MX4200 main router

Living room LAN port -- Linksys Velop MX4200 mesh node -- TV+, etc
Master room LAN port -- TV+ box

Two units pack is about S$598 from Challenger. You may check with Starhub to see if they offer cheaper price for you.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks, was also considering velop mx4200, but has it got 3 or 4 Lan ports? cos the website shows 3, https://www.linksys.com/sg/whole-ho...-6-system-mx4200/p/p-mx4200/#product-features

i actually plan to use ethernet backhaul method hence i need to have 5 ports actually for my main router. but maybe 4 can work. and starub don't give a damn abt customer , they just asked me wait till contract lapse to recontract and get the velop , smh. its ok, i rather get myself and save the headache

Yes you are right, it has 3 Gigabit LAN + 1 Gigabit WAN.

The solution for the lack of LAN ports is easy, just add a dumb switch like the cheap TP-Link TL-SG105, below S$30.

OdualO

Reaction score
Switch to EA7500 v2, with the latest firmware on the router. Doesn't work. And there are channel discrepancy between this and the nokia beacon.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Switch to EA7500 v2, with the latest firmware on the router. Doesn't work. And there are channel discrepancy between this and the nokia beacon.

If Linksys EA7500 V2 FW does not work with Starhub TV+ Box (wired connection), then please get support from Starhub and Linksys. It is supposed to be working as per the diagram from Starhub.

Not so sure what you mean by discrepancy though.

OdualO

Reaction score
I wouldn't be here if they are willing to help. They just called and ask if the problem still persist without even doing anything hoping that some magical miracle would happen and things would solve on its own.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be here if they are willing to help. They just called and ask if the problem still persist without even doing anything hoping that some magical miracle would happen and things would solve on its own.

I see. Hopefully others using the EA7500 v2 with the Starhub TV+ box can chime in and help you.

As a temporary workaround, since your EA7500 v2 does not work with the Starhub TV+ Box for now, you may have to use the Nokia Beacon 1 as the main router to connect to the Starhub TV+ box. You can disable its wifi (to avoid wireless interference) and then set up the EA7500 v2 as the main AP.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.