New Ubiquiti setup! Still a work in progress.

TanKianW

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, would like some recommendations here.

I am currently using an asus ac66u (non-B1) and on single ISP
I am toying with the idea about upgrading the router to achieve gigabit full-duplex over WAN.
Would the edgerouterX be able to achieve that? if not what are my options?

If not going with ERX, any Asus AX series router should work. Interface should be familiar to you since you upgrade from 66U.

If I am going back to Asus, I will go with AX86 with custom Merlin FW.

Last edited:

Elijahonli

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If not going with ERX, any Asus AX series router should work. Interface should be familiar to you since you upgrade from 66U.

If I am going back to Asus, I will go with AX86 with custom Merlin FW.

So the ERX would be able to achieve 1gbs duplex wan to lan ?

firesong

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
From what I recall, the ER-X is 1Gbps total, which means it's combined of 1Gbps across all ports. The cheapest model for 1Gbps line speed is the ERL-3.

Farish

Reaction score
Hi folks, would like some recommendations here.

I am currently using an asus ac66u (non-B1) and on single ISP
I am toying with the idea about upgrading the router to achieve gigabit full-duplex over WAN.
Would the edgerouterX be able to achieve that? if not what are my options?

You have standalone APs already? You will need to purchase APs (if you dont have them) in order to get wifi functionality with the ERX. Why dont you look at the Amplify Alien instead? Its more in line with what an AC66U does (all-in-one).

Elijahonli

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You have standalone APs already? You will need to purchase APs (if you dont have them) in order to get wifi functionality with the ERX. Why dont you look at the Amplify Alien instead? Its more in line with what an AC66U does (all-in-one).

I have linksys velop handling my wifi already, so i just need a router to handle the WAN to LAN

BradenHeat

Master Member
Reaction score
Hmm not sure if it occured to anyone here :

Dream Machine [ capsule, all in one ]

settlings and what not all can be done remotely via my mobile.

Strange thing was after ive power down the D.M by powering off the wallpower, repower on, my entire wifi was wiped out

it defaulted back to a Dream Machine Setup 9999 wifi :rolleyes::s22::spin:

- no didnt do any firmware
- had to reset the the machine and resetup accordingly to what my original wifi SSID were
- nothing was disabled security wise , was still accessing fine throughout

just a heads up and sound out if anyone had similar experience

Farish

Reaction score
Hmm not sure if it occured to anyone here :

Dream Machine [ capsule, all in one ]

settlings and what not all can be done remotely via my mobile.

Strange thing was after ive power down the D.M by powering off the wallpower, repower on, my entire wifi was wiped out

it defaulted back to a Dream Machine Setup 9999 wifi :rolleyes::s22::spin:

- no didnt do any firmware
- had to reset the the machine and resetup accordingly to what my original wifi SSID were
- nothing was disabled security wise , was still accessing fine throughout

just a heads up and sound out if anyone had similar experience
Are you running the latest released firmware on that UDM? Hope you have activated the automatic backups so that restoration of config is painless.

BradenHeat

Master Member
Reaction score
Are you running the latest released firmware on that UDM? Hope you have activated the automatic backups so that restoration of config is painless.
Thats the strangest part, its always on automatic update, nothing was done @_@

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thats the strangest part, its always on automatic update, nothing was done @_@
Not saying this is the cause of your problems, but I'd turn off automatic updates if I'm you.

I'll usually go onto UBNT's forum and read the release thread of a software/fimware before I actually update anything. I will usually see what chaicka says about a firmware before I decide whether to update or not.

Sometimes an update can break something and having auto update turned on can cause you headaches, especially when your setup just stop working out of the blue.

BradenHeat

Master Member
Reaction score
Lesson learned indeed, got money got gadgets also not like this play sia haha damn them UBNT:crazy::angel::s47:

Mach3.2

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lesson learned indeed, got money got gadgets also not like this play sia haha damn them UBNT:crazy::angel::s47:
Not when everyone WFH and expect 5 nines of availability. :s13:

I used to try beta firmwares pre-covid but nowadays I don't do it anymore.

Last edited:

yonkou

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help.

My current setup is= ONT (ZTE model from singtel) > USG 12V > Switch (US-8-60W) > Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus > UAP-AC-PRO

My first step was to input VLAN ID (10) on my security USG and its says 'Gateway is connected to the internet' but when I tried to connect my Cloud Key it says that 'Unable to connect to internet' I tried using browser and phone app it still the same error.

All updates are up to date

Is there a step I'm missing?

glitches

Reaction score
Hi guys I need some recommendations.

My current setup is ONT (Singtel) > Asus RT AC3200 > Ubiquiti NanoHD.

Thinking of switching to full ubiquiti setup, but not sure what to pick. I was eyeing the UDM initially, but it seems like it doesn't work that well with Singtel ONT with mio TV.

Any ubiquiti products to recommend? I'm on a Singtel 1 Gbps plan.

bujingai

Reaction score

Thinking of switching to full ubiquiti setup, but not sure what to pick. I was eyeing the UDM initially, but it seems like it doesn't work that well with Singtel ONT with mio TV.

I used UDM base for a year+ and its been working fine with MyRepublic. Not sure why it wont work on Singtel though. It depends on what you need, you can go for cloudkey or Pfsense route.

BradenHeat

Master Member
Reaction score

UDM as in the capsule ?

did you try to reset to factory first ?

and apart from Singtel, dont think any of the ISP has ORT which is more challenging

glitches

Reaction score
I used UDM base for a year+ and its been working fine with MyRepublic. Not sure why it wont work on Singtel though. It depends on what you need, you can go for cloudkey or Pfsense route.
Thanks for your reply. I read about it on this forum and found out that Singtel's ONT + Mio TV can't work with UDM sadly, hence I was wondering if there are other options that I could look at.

glitches

Reaction score
UDM as in the capsule ?

did you try to reset to factory first ?

and apart from Singtel, dont think any of the ISP has ORT which is more challenging
Yup, the dream machine. I haven't got it yet, was just wondering if there are other options since I read that Singtel's ONT + Mio TV can't work with UDM :/

BradenHeat

Master Member
Reaction score
Yup, the dream machine. I haven't got it yet, was just wondering if there are other options since I read that Singtel's ONT + Mio TV can't work with UDM :/

found some ideas, post 333 within this thread @xiaofan @Jeekfied

UDM doesn’t support singtel mio tv off the shelf configuration..

You try using a different router that supports mio tv but stick to Unifi switches and AP. It will be a lot easier this way then change out singtel once contract done,

A few things to try.
1) Try connect your STB to UDM first without the switch between. Then configure UDM with VLAN.

2) Try the following.
ONT=>US-8-60W=>STB
US-8-60W=>UDM

Then configure US-8-60W like following.

3) If 1) or 2) works but your original configuration does not work, then you may need to somewhat simulate what SingTel router is doing in your UDM.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...clinic-4/singtel-onr-ap-issues-5778791-3.html

BTW, both 1) and 2) should work.

After you get 1) to work with the UDM, configure the switch as a "dummy" switch with IGMP snooping ON , then your setup will work. I believe this is not what you want though.

Still I think your original configuration should work as well with proper configuration. Probably you want to post your settings so the people here can pinpoint the issue.

Thanks xiaofan for the advice,

I've tried 1.) create network vlan only id 20 with igmp snooping but to no avail. I think I messed up 2.)

Will post settings, tried to get configuration details from singtel hotline was infuriatingly impossible.

Been googling maybe I didn't set some qos or something right.

You should get 1) work with the UDM first before trying other things.

SingTel VLAN setup for ONT users.
Internet 10 prio 0 untagged
Iptv 20 prio 4 tagged.

Did a sanity check and I'm connected to a ONT from the fiber optic point. Anyway,

WAN settings

wHIdueH.jpg

Network settings

1BgCdD2.jpg

Mio TV VLAN setup

U8ZJYy0.jpg

Internet Vlan setup

LOprs6F.jpg

Port 1 from UDM is setup for Mio TV

KcuozdB.jpg

still no tv.... But dam fast internet though.

mrkiasu

Reaction score
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.