New Ubiquiti setup! Still a work in progress.

glitches

Reaction score
Wonderful, thanks xiaofan. I got it to work following the instructions of (2) + lots of trial and error and reading.

For others who are using UDM + Singtel ONT, can try following the instructions to get your internet and IPTV. Hopefully this can work for you guys who are also wrecking your brains.

Requirements:

1. UDM

2. Switch (I'm using ubiquiti here) [Honestly, now that I think about it, it MIGHT be possible for this to work without a switch, but since I already got it already, I just went ahead with using it. Plus, I'm tired of redoing this whole thing already, plus I'm using it to power my nanoHD.]
*** Make sure that you configure the ubiquiti switch first! I connected the switch to UDM directly first and configured the ports accordingly. There is no hard and fast rule as to which ports you can use. It depends on your own needs. I used 5 in total.

3. Patience (Lowkey wanted to just give up and get an ONR or something)

** Make sure that you follow the instructions here (https://community.ui.com/questions/...-/8e00582f-3c75-4815-983f-a5c7fd0aad2c?page=2) to set up internet + IPTV VLAN.

For those who are wondering how to tag/untag VLAN, I think I got it figured out already:
-> Make sure that you are using the classic interface first.
-> Navigate to settings -> profiles -> switch ports

-> Click on "Add a new port profile"
-> For example, to tag the MioTV + Internet VLAN, here is how it is supposed to be:

These are the port profiles I ended up having on the switch:

1) Port 1: VLAN 10, 20, 100 tagged (connected to ONT)
2) Port 3: VLAN 10 tagged (Connected to UDM WAN)
3) Port 5: VLAN 100 untagged (connected to UDM port 1)
4) Port 8: VLAN 20 untagged (connected to set up box for TV)

So, ultimately these should be the switch port profiles (based on the one I showed earlier)

**Also: Turn off "Auto optimise network". This cancerous "feature" cost me a lot of time as well, I thought my setup was wrong.

** Instructions updated 13.6.2021

Last edited:

glitches

Reaction score
So, I'm having intermittent connectivity issues (disconnects every hour, almost like clockwork). I have IPTV enabled, multicast enabled.

I also have high latency and DNS timeout issues on the clients.

My current setup is ONT -> Ubiquiti switch -> UDM -> NanoHD. The switch is also connected to IPTV set up box.

I've tried lots of things, such as disabling the advanced features, IPS/IDS.

Does anyone have any idea how to tackle this issue? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Working now.

ONT -> Switch -> UDM -> NanoHD
|-> Set up box (IPTV)

Current settings of ports on the switch:

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So, I'm having intermittent connectivity issues (disconnects every hour, almost like clockwork). I have IPTV enabled, multicast enabled.

I also have high latency and DNS timeout issues on the clients.

My current setup is ONT -> Ubiquiti switch -> UDM -> NanoHD. The switch is also connected to IPTV set up box.

I've tried lots of things, such as disabling the advanced features, IPS/IDS.

Does anyone have any idea how to tackle this issue? Thanks in advance.

One possibility is to sell the UDM and get Edge Router 4. As mentioned before UDM is not a good match for Singtel.

The other possibility is to change to bridged ONR.

mrkiasu

Reaction score
Quick reply, you need vlan priority for TV to work. It didn’t exist in UniFi family

For edge products, also must see firmware version, it was also removed somewhere along the line.

Go for ONR with your UDM, don’t waste the UDM and with it, it can roam with your nanoHD.

-UCT

glitches

Reaction score
Quick reply, you need vlan priority for TV to work. It didn’t exist in UniFi family

For edge products, also must see firmware version, it was also removed somewhere along the line.

Go for ONR with your UDM, don’t waste the UDM and with it, it can roam with your nanoHD.

-UCT
Sure, thanks!

mrkiasu

Reaction score
Unboxing UniFi Protect G4-Doorbell EU version with transformer for local SG use.

Do not buy the wrong doorbell. No Chime. any questions, please ask. Left limited sets.

G4-Doorbell EU

setup video still in the works of editing.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

-UCT

That is interesting. I will venture to say do not buy Ubiquiti router product in this case if you are a SingTel users.

ONT users -- problem if VLAN priority is not supported

ONR uses -- you will have to allow Double NAT if you do not bridge the ONR.

Only choice is to bridge the ONR. Then you do not need to deal with VLAN stuff and can use the full features of UDM or other routers. Luckily it is not that difficult to request SingTel to bridge the ONR now. The only recent reports of the failed request is from Firesong whose friend's request got rejected.

If you are currently not a SingTel user and you intend to use UDM, do not sign up to SingTel as new users will get ONR.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
-UCT

When you say Unifi family, I believe it only means the routing product and not the switch, right?

I still believe the following will work with proper configuration.

ONT -- Ubiquiti Switch -- UDM
ONT -- Ubiquiti Switch -- SingTel TV.

Without SingTel TV, the following will work based on previous report
ONT -- UDM

glitches

Reaction score
When you say Unifi family, I believe it only means the routing product and not the switch, right?

I still believe the following will work with proper configuration.

ONT -- Ubiquiti Switch -- UDM
ONT -- Ubiquiti Switch -- SingTel TV.

Without SingTel TV, the following will work based on previous report
ONT -- UDM

Yup, can confirm that ONT method with Singtel TV is working now, no issues in the past 2 days. (almost had to get my ONT changed to ONR).

ONT -> Switch -> UDM -> NanoHD
|-> Set up box (IPTV)

Current settings of ports on the switch:

Cons of this setup: switch and setup box is not secured

destiny38

Reaction score
Hi guys, am facing an issue with my Unifi setup at home and would appreciate your advice.

I have an ER-Lite connected to an ER-X, which runs 3 UAP-AC-LR via PoE. This has been a fantastic setup for the first 3-4 years. Recently, DNS would stop working when I roam between APs. I have to rejoin the network by toggling wifi on my devices.

Where do you think the issue might be?

Last edited:

landslot

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Not sure if here is the right place to ask some questions.

Planning to install the unifi setup for me new house.

Just like to know if anyone staying on a 3 level house and mount the AP on level 1 and level 3. Will the wifi access be good for the level 2 (bedrooms).

Taking level 1 will be the living room / dinning area and level 3 to be WFH office etc, that why I am thinking if I can skip level 2 as we don't need a fast wifi speed. A stable connection of 3 to 4 Bars 5Ghz on our phone is enough before calling the day off for the night.

The item list will be as follow:

- 1 x UDM Pro
- 1 x 16 port switch (USW -16 - POE)
- 2 x AP (U6 lite) for level 1 and level 3 * currently I think there is hardly any stock. Any issue if getting it from overseas?? Other than the warranty issue.

-TBA if wifi speed is really bad - 2x Flex HD (for MRB and Bedrm 1) both will be at the corner of the room.

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Not sure if here is the right place to ask some questions.

Planning to install the unifi setup for me new house.

Just like to know if anyone staying on a 3 level house and mount the AP on level 1 and level 3. Will the wifi access be good for the level 2 (bedrooms).

Taking level 1 will be the living room / dinning area and level 3 to be WFH office etc, that why I am thinking if I can skip level 2 as we don't need a fast wifi speed. A stable connection of 3 to 4 Bars 5Ghz on our phone is enough before calling the day off for the night.

The item list will be as follow:

- 1 x UDM Pro
- 1 x 16 port switch (USW -16 - POE)
- 2 x AP (U6 lite) for level 1 and level 3 * currently I think there is hardly any stock. Any issue if getting it from overseas?? Other than the warranty issue.

-TBA if wifi speed is really bad - 2x Flex HD (for MRB and Bedrm 1) both will be at the corner of the room.

It is hard to tell w/o a floor plan. But 5Ghz does poorly through solid walls so you probably might face issues with 5Ghz at level 2.

Since you had already invested in Unifi, why not just go ahead with an AP on level 2, or use in-wall units if you have structured cabling in the rooms.

landslot

Reaction score
It is hard to tell w/o a floor plan. But 5Ghz does poorly through solid walls so you probably might face issues with 5Ghz at level 2.

Since you had already invested in Unifi, why not just go ahead with an AP on level 2, or use in-wall units if you have structured cabling in the rooms.
Hi Top Gun,

Sorry have not attach any floor plan so is a bit hard to explain. My fault. :s47:

291336636c377eea11b98965103693e5c1dd7c01.png

Getting the keys in about 3-4 months time so am starting to plan for a smart home network and getting contractors to wire all the whole unit with N-line and CAT 6 UTP cables.

If they can lay the AP(UTP) cables on the middle of the house, that will be the best possible spot. If that can't be done,(Due to ugliness of the wire plastic cover thingy, don't know what is call) will need to get a lot more AP (U6-lite) to cover all UTP points. I think that will be an overkill to have like 5-6 APs around is an small area.:s14:

BradenHeat

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im looking, if Ubiquity setup , at least 2 LR if possible in the middle of the stairway [ just my own view ]

u6 lite is also good, but long term, nothing beats the LR for 2 levels and the wide range , might be wrong, since the buildings in SG is quite thick

just my personal view

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi Top Gun,

Sorry have not attach any floor plan so is a bit hard to explain. My fault. :s47:

291336636c377eea11b98965103693e5c1dd7c01.png

Getting the keys in about 3-4 months time so am starting to plan for a smart home network and getting contractors to wire all the whole unit with N-line and CAT 6 UTP cables.

If they can lay the AP(UTP) cables on the middle of the house, that will be the best possible spot. If that can't be done,(Due to ugliness of the wire plastic cover thingy, don't know what is call) will need to get a lot more AP (U6-lite) to cover all UTP points. I think that will be an overkill to have like 5-6 APs around is an small area.:s14:

Ideally is to mount the AP right outside the bathroom of every level. Are you planning for false ceiling?

Alternatively is to go with In-wall units at the UTP points. Two at level 2 might be sufficient. But even if you go with 3 and set to low power, I think that is fine.

pointbreak20

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Will be getting my house soon, and I've been planning the networking lately. So far this is the plan I have come up with. Flat is a resale 5 room, so cable laying is unavoidable. Also plan to have ethernet ports at bedroom 2 and 3.

Equipment
1 x UDM Pro
2 x U6 Lite (Powered with PoE Injectors
Will get a PoE switch in the future if I add more devices, eg NAS, IP Cameras

Welcome any comments and suggestions on improving this!
Pic below done with Unifi Design Center. Currently shows 2.4GHz signal coverage.

homeplan-network.jpg

Farish

Reaction score
Upgraded my UDMP to 1.10.0 and it has been super stable. Highly recommended.

Of course, be smart about it. Reboot it first, then do a clean backup and take screenshots of all your config before you do the upgrade.

Worst comes to worst, you might need to rebuild the config from scratch but it's worth it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.