NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

inspiritkm

Reaction score
For the interview, some tips (in no order):

1) Be consistent in your answers (HR will be recording your answers and they are likely to review it later)
2) Read up on ethics issues common in the teaching force (for essay part and the interview questions that follow after that)
3) Read up on MOE policies (not everyone gets this but if you do it goes along the lines of "what do you think of MOE's latest policies", they won't even tell you what are the policies so you can't guess :)
4) How you reply to the ethics qn can show how you prioritize things, your common sense, and also your morality
5) The lesson plan part, you might want to plan a question beforehand and go through it. They want to see your classroom management + how you attempt to break down the question in my experience
6) Dress modestly for males shld be quite common sense la, for females please go read up on the moe conduct see how teachers should dress
7) Of course the common interview questions will be asked to see how passionate you are, why you want this job, how are you so sure you will continue for a long time in this line, etc
8) You might hear from some people they are looking for politically right answers. I think different interviewers have different viewpoints. But I provided the + and - viewpoint so that I don't look like I disagree with MOE haha just appear neutral if you really can't sugarcoat your words

For me I was quite nervous but I did ALOT of preparation beforehand. Like scrolling every single page of glassdoor and drafting out my own replies to the questions they have asked before. It was about 60+ questions and I typed them out and print and go through everyday haha. I've since deleted it so I can't send it. But its my own epersonal answers also so just craft your own. I also practiced carrying out my lesson plan in front of friends so that its not my first time on the actual day. And I also asked current friends in NIE about their own interview experiences, what they think their interviewers were looking for, etc. So on the actual day when I left the interview room tbh I felt I did well, and I passed all the stages on my first try even though my degree isn't a good one and with no honors too haha

don't forget to smile alot and look very kind/approachable. After all you are there to market yourself

lwhjoyce

Reaction score
inspiritkm;1153871.52 said:

1) Be consistent in your answers (HR will be recording your answers and they are likely to review it later)
2) Read up on ethics issues common in the teaching force (for essay part and the interview questions that follow after that)
3) Read up on MOE policies (not everyone gets this but if you do it goes along the lines of "what do you think of MOE's latest policies", they won't even tell you what are the policies so you can't guess :)
4) How you reply to the ethics qn can show how you prioritize things, your common sense, and also your morality
5) The lesson plan part, you might want to plan a question beforehand and go through it. They want to see your classroom management + how you attempt to break down the question in my experience
6) Dress modestly for males shld be quite common sense la, for females please go read up on the moe conduct see how teachers should dress
7) Of course the common interview questions will be asked to see how passionate you are, why you want this job, how are you so sure you will continue for a long time in this line, etc
8) You might hear from some people they are looking for politically right answers. I think different interviewers have different viewpoints. But I provided the + and - viewpoint so that I don't look like I disagree with MOE haha just appear neutral if you really can't sugarcoat your words

For me I was quite nervous but I did ALOT of preparation beforehand. Like scrolling every single page of glassdoor and drafting out my own replies to the questions they have asked before. It was about 60+ questions and I typed them out and print and go through everyday haha. I've since deleted it so I can't send it. But its my own epersonal answers also so just craft your own. I also practiced carrying out my lesson plan in front of friends so that its not my first time on the actual day. And I also asked current friends in NIE about their own interview experiences, what they think their interviewers were looking for, etc. So on the actual day when I left the interview room tbh I felt I did well, and I passed all the stages on my first try even though my degree isn't a good one and with no honors too haha

don't forget to smile alot and look very kind/approachable. After all you are there to market yourself

Thanks for sharing.

wtbapst

Reaction score

Thank you for sharing

smileice

Reaction score
Hi Cloudycloud, Ha_08_nie, extinctdino, tiutiu99

I've dropped y'all a series of PMs regarding the interview tips! Hope it helps ◡̈

- ConsultantPanda :s12:

Hi Panda, would you mind to share with me the interview tips also? Will go for interview for pri chinese next Friday...thank you so much!

smileice

Reaction score

Thank you so much for sharing! May I know how to find those qns on glassdoor? sorry i am quite new here, i read thru the msg and seems everyone knows about glassdoor except me...

rosemance

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just to share, I applied for PGDE(Art) the second time and am shortlisted for an interview again fortunately. I didn't make it through the first round and I 'suspect' that the reason could be because I wasn't aware of the art syllabus when being asked... I do have a few questions that I hope someone here may be able to help me out with.

1) Does MOE allows school teachers to give tuition outside their school hours? If yes, is there a limit to the number of hours allowed?

2) What is the average headcount of art teachers in a primary school?

3) How many classes on average does an art teacher has to take weekly?

lwhjoyce

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just to share, I applied for PGDE(Art) the second time and am shortlisted for an interview again fortunately. I didn't make it through the first round and I 'suspect' that the reason could be because I wasn't aware of the art syllabus when being asked... I do have a few questions that I hope someone here may be able to help me out with.

1) Does MOE allows school teachers to give tuition outside their school hours? If yes, is there a limit to the number of hours allowed?

2) What is the average headcount of art teachers in a primary school?

3) How many classes on average does an art teacher has to take weekly?

congrats that u r shortlisted for interview.

Ha_08_Nie

Reaction score
Hi All,

For those who have been interviewed, do you mind sharing what type of questions the panel will be asking?

Thank you so much in advance!

pure.fresh003

Reaction score
2 more days till the deadline, my status is still submitted.

2nd time applying since the start of year, what do i got to do to make they call me?

pomeranian

Reaction score
Hi All,

For those who have been interviewed, do you mind sharing what type of questions the panel will be asking?

Thank you so much in advance!

Went for interview the last round. Aside from the standard questions (why do you want to be a teacher, do you know there's a lot of admin work etc), there were a few questions that surprised me.

- They asked what I thought was lacking in terms of teaching my subject (English) in Singapore

- They mentioned that I have always been from good schools. Was I prepared that not all students will be well behaved if I were to be posted to a neighbourhood school.

- asked for my opinion about meeting students outside of school (related to my essay question)

From my experience they will question your answers and try to pick at them for loose threads. Apparently this does not necessarily mean you gave a 'bad' answer, since my arguments got nitpicked quite a bit but I got it in the end. Be prepared to defend your stance and be firm, but acknowledge other points of view. Hope this helps

lwhjoyce

Reaction score
2 more days till the deadline, my status is still submitted.

2nd time applying since the start of year, what do i got to do to make they call me?

same here...very demoralised..i am still waiting..

could it be the competition is very high?

Or due to over supply of potential candidates?

lo3xlo2x

Reaction score
Went for interview the last round. Aside from the standard questions (why do you want to be a teacher, do you know there's a lot of admin work etc), there were a few questions that surprised me.

- They asked what I thought was lacking in terms of teaching my subject (English) in Singapore

- They mentioned that I have always been from good schools. Was I prepared that not all students will be well behaved if I were to be posted to a neighbourhood school.

- asked for my opinion about meeting students outside of school (related to my essay question)

From my experience they will question your answers and try to pick at them for loose threads. Apparently this does not necessarily mean you gave a 'bad' answer, since my arguments got nitpicked quite a bit but I got it in the end. Be prepared to defend your stance and be firm, but acknowledge other points of view. Hope this helps

You had been shortlisted for secondary?

jerichorose88

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need help with something.
I’ve recently been shortlisted for the PGDE
course but they offered me the subjects
English & Math but Math wasn’t my option
at all but rather, English and Social Studies.
Does anyone know if this is something that
can be appealed? Thank you.

lonely_driver

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need help with something.
I’ve recently been shortlisted for the PGDE
course but they offered me the subjects
English & Math but Math wasn’t my option
at all but rather, English and Social Studies.
Does anyone know if this is something that
can be appealed? Thank you.

Based on what some of my friends went through, you can appeal. However, most of the time, they won't entertain unless you have a strong case. However, if you don't take up the offer, they will offer to the next person in their list though. You will then have to reapply again.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.