NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

lonely_driver

Reaction score
same here...very demoralised..i am still waiting..

could it be the competition is very high?

Or due to over supply of potential candidates?

Any news on your application?

frankly, they are slowing down the recruitment process due to the merger of schools. Those teachers affected by the mergers will have to be redeployed to other schools first. However, teachers do come and go, hence so it is a long process for applicants sometimes.

don't give up. Hope you get it.

Dee@317

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need help with something.
I’ve recently been shortlisted for the PGDE
course but they offered me the subjects
English & Math but Math wasn’t my option
at all but rather, English and Social Studies.
Does anyone know if this is something that
can be appealed? Thank you.

Hi. I recently faced a similar situation. I was shortlisted for a different subject combi from what I chose. So I called to ask if it's possible to make an appeal.

They were discouraging me to appeal and said that if I really wanted to, they will have to take me out from the slot that they have offered me for the interview and see if they still have vacancy for the one I requested. No guarantee that I can still get back the former position they offered. They did mention that the one I wanted to appeal for is almost full so they can't guarantee a slot there either. So it sounds like I can risk losing both.

I decided not to appeal. Haha.

jerichorose88

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your input. I’m a bit apprehensive about
teaching Maths. My concern is in the long run, how
I would be able to handle it but if it had been English &
Social Studies or Science. I would be more comfortable.
Sigh... I am waiting to hear from them this morning
and am not sure whether should appeal or now. Anyone
has done the appeal before?

Last edited:

jerichorose88

Reaction score
Based on what some of my friends went through, you can appeal. However, most of the time, they won't entertain unless you have a strong case. However, if you don't take up the offer, they will offer to the next person in their list though. You will then have to reapply again.

Yeah, it’s definitely a long process.
I applied in February and only now
they called me. I’m worried if I
appealed, how much longer it
would take.

halfbaked

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need help with something.
I’ve recently been shortlisted for the PGDE
course but they offered me the subjects
English & Math but Math wasn’t my option
at all but rather, English and Social Studies.
Does anyone know if this is something that
can be appealed? Thank you.

Hi jerichorose88, I was actually shortlisted for subjects entirely different from what I applied for. I went to the interview with the hope of being able to convince them for a change in subjects. It worked out for me. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more about my experience. :)

jerichorose88

Reaction score
Hi jerichorose88, I was actually shortlisted for subjects entirely different from what I applied for. I went to the interview with the hope of being able to convince them for a change in subjects. It worked out for me. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more about my experience. :)

That’s great to hear. Thank you kindly. I’m new here.
How do I pm you?

jerichorose88

Reaction score
hi jerichorose88! may i know which day you are scheduled for the interview? :)

They wanted to schedule me in about two weeks
time but the recruitment officer that I spoke to
seemed to be steering me away from the conversation
of appealing to change subjects but she was
quite persistent on calling me back to confirm
the interview date.

halfbaked

Reaction score
That’s great to hear. Thank you kindly. I’m new here.
How do I pm you?

I realized that we need at least 10 posts to be able to send pms and I don't fulfill that requirement too >.< Let's contact each other when either of us hits 10 posts?

Some of you sent me pms regarding changing of shortlisted subjects but the forum isn't allowing me to reply because I have fewer than 10 posts. Sorry about that! I will try to hit 10 posts and reply you guys!

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum here. Fresh grad from NUS math.

I applied for PGDE in Feb window this year and managed to get an interview in Mar. My shortlisted subjects were Sec Math and Physics. Unfortunately, I waited until May to be informed that I have being rejected.

I reapplied again for the same subjects in the May window, and wasn't shortlisted for an interview at all.

I read from somewhere in the forum about the "6 month rule" where they will only shortlist you again for interview if you reapply 6 months after your first application, is it true? Or is it because the May window had too many applicants?

lonely_driver

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum here. Fresh grad from NUS math.

I applied for PGDE in Feb window this year and managed to get an interview in Mar. My shortlisted subjects were Sec Math and Physics. Unfortunately, I waited until May to be informed that I have being rejected.

I reapplied again for the same subjects in the May window, and wasn't shortlisted for an interview at all.

I read from somewhere in the forum about the "6 month rule" where they will only shortlist you again for interview if you reapply 6 months after your first application, is it true? Or is it because the May window had too many applicants?

There is a 6 month cooling period. try your best again! Hope you get it!

Ha_08_Nie

Reaction score
Hi All,

Any more tough questions to share from the panel during the interview? Helping out a friend to prep for her interview here :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.