Noise beside the expressway. How bad is it?

NiShiZhu

Banned
Reaction score
Bro actually before ur penrose post I didn't really think too much. After u mentioned about the expressway, I realised many residential are along the various expressway.

Haven got a chance to experience the noise. Really so bad ah!

Some bros here already did some decibels testing. Yes, should be quite bad.
There’s also a ruling from authorities that there must be at least certain distance of clearance for the blocks to be away from expressway. That’s y in front of penrose they build playground, some landscapes and pool so that the PIE facing units are pushed back further.

D3stinyx

Reaction score
I pesonal do not live beside an expressway, but heard from friend that they can't sleep or work from home in peace.

Would like to share my experience...

I live in a Hdb maisonette, my main door, master bedroom and bedroom windows 1 facing MRT track (30m away) and some industrial area (100m away). My bedroom 2 window faces a main road (50m away). I got noise issue from MRT, road and construction from the industrial area.

Originally got several quotes and wanted to go with a Upvc window. However, my ID friend adviced that Upvc window more than 3m is illegal due to the fire code restrictions and went ahead with an aluminium window. Lucky I haven sign the contract, if not I may even be fined if scdf came checking...

Got an European aluminium system soundproof window and doors and the effect was great, my room noise went down from avg 65db to 37db. Soundproofing windows are Abit pricy but every cent has been worth so far. I can finally have meetings without distraction and work from home in peace.

Moowoow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ty govt need quickly ramp up the change to electric vehicles, all those fuel emission engined vehicles are a torture health hazard

kimurayuki

Reaction score
Can you pm me the detail of the UPVC window?
My bedroom is facing MSCP and a small road leading to gantry. During peak hours, if the vehicles jammed at gantry, the rest of the vehicles following behind will start their honking party. There are also loud motorcycles riding pass at wee hours.

I pesonal do not live beside an expressway, but heard from friend that they can't sleep or work from home in peace.

Would like to share my experience...

I live in a Hdb maisonette, my main door, master bedroom and bedroom windows 1 facing MRT track (30m away) and some industrial area (100m away). My bedroom 2 window faces a main road (50m away). I got noise issue from MRT, road and construction from the industrial area.

Originally got several quotes and wanted to go with a Upvc window. However, my ID friend adviced that Upvc window more than 3m is illegal due to the fire code restrictions and went ahead with an aluminium window. Lucky I haven sign the contract, if not I may even be fined if scdf came checking...

Got an European aluminium system soundproof window and doors and the effect was great, my room noise went down from avg 65db to 37db. Soundproofing windows are Abit pricy but every cent has been worth so far. I can finally have meetings without distraction and work from home in peace.

alvincy

Reaction score
Anyone aiming for the BTO Nov at Owen Road? Super next to CTE and the noise/dust.

Trade off you have view, Pek Kio market, Farrer park/Novena MRT and super near city.

petetherock

Reaction score
Some bros here already did some decibels testing. Yes, should be quite bad.
There’s also a ruling from authorities that there must be at least certain distance of clearance for the blocks to be away from expressway. That’s y in front of penrose they build playground, some landscapes and pool so that the PIE facing units are pushed back further.
I've taken a reading of 90-96db from a house which is sited next to the AYE...

Falafell

Reaction score
I've taken a reading of 90-96db from a house which is sited next to the AYE...
90 dB is really too much. Anything in the range of 90 dB should only be permitted 8 hours of exposure a day as set by OSHA if not long term hearing loss will be induced. Based on my studies of some CAT 2 roads (peak period), the noise level should be only around 75 dB (Leq) when beside the road.

petetherock

Reaction score
If you really need to live next to a highway, it's best to have one block between you and the big roads..
That makes a massive difference... massive... it's worth losing the viewing of the sea for example.

CaptainSGP

Reaction score
Yup, same goes for ECP, view to the sea is not worth the noise.
Been to high floor expressway facing units at Silversea & Interlace, the road noise is surprisingly Low/bearable despite facing the expressway. I think those stretches uses a diff road material that decreases road noise. Lack of heavy vehicles help too.

Reaction score
Been to high floor expressway facing units at Silversea & Interlace, the road noise is surprisingly Low/bearable despite facing the expressway. I think those stretches uses a diff road material that decreases road noise. Lack of heavy vehicles help too.
I saw a few units at Silversea earlier this unit on a weekend (when traffic was lighter) and found the noise acceptable. However, the noise at the swimming pools which are right next to the ECP was pretty unbearable. Which is a huge pity, because the vibe at the pools is fantastic. Lovely long pools, with so many lounge chairs against the beautiful backdrop of the Silversea buildings. But it's just impossible to ignore the noise.

alvincy

Reaction score
ya i agree, just like our car travel on different road with different material, some damn quiet, some damn noise even the most quiet tyres also no use.

CaptainSGP

Reaction score
I saw a few units at Silversea earlier this unit on a weekend (when traffic was lighter) and found the noise acceptable. However, the noise at the swimming pools which are right next to the ECP was pretty unbearable. Which is a huge pity, because the vibe at the pools is fantastic. Lovely long pools, with so many lounge chairs against the beautiful backdrop of the Silversea buildings. But it's just impossible to ignore the noise.

How noisy is the expressway is driven by:

1) Intensity of traffic
2) Number of heavy vehicles
3) Number of motorcycles & cars with illegal modifications.
4) Speed of Traffic
5) Road material

How much noise reaches the unit is driven by:

1) Distance from expressway
2) Presence of buildings/structures blocking the noise
3) Presence of buildings/structures on the opposite side of expressway reflecting the noise
4) Sound Proofing done within the unit

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, the pool is right beside ECP and highways are 24x7 so it might be unpredictable if there's nothing blocking the sound waves.

petetherock

Reaction score
Soundproofing is useful, but it also means you need to spend a ton on good quality treatment
AND
You'll need to keep all your windows / doors closed. That's a pity if there's a great view and for air circulation. It also means your aircon bill will go up too.
So I'll really think hard before committing to a place too close to a noise source..

believe88

Reaction score
my collick bidadari beside serangoon road sibei loud. Endless road noise really cmi,somemore is above level 8 but still noisy

abcde83

Reaction score
i viewed a landed, reasonably priced at good location D21. but when i can hear the pie noise at master bedroom i immediately struck it off.

it's a no no for alot of people.
Home is a place where u enjoy peace...
difficult to sell next time too.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my collick bidadari beside serangoon road sibei loud. Endless road noise really cmi,somemore is above level 8 but still noisy
That is a main road; expected to be noisy.

There's a fly over there as well.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.