Norm for hotels to not have usable wifi?

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure how it is usually in China.. im at insail hotel Guangzhou, they have wifi but you need a China mobile number to even connect.so I can't get any wifi at all.. got to ration my simcard bought in Singapore.

I thought we would get wifi but with Google etc blocked.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 7 using GAGT

juxtaposition

Reaction score
Even if have wifi also can use at lobby area. Also cannot use for ur daily apps eg whatsapp, FB, IG.
Unless u have VPN. For me I just use unblocked simcard. U can use M1 data ppt too.

Not sure how it is usually in China.. im at insail hotel Guangzhou, they have wifi but you need a China mobile number to even connect.so I can't get any wifi at all.. got to ration my simcard bought in Singapore.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my experience in hotels in china, guangzhou and haikou
the hotel room inside have personal computer
their wifi is super slow even for 4* hotels

for wifi, so far no issues with both the hotels ...

beanstalk6

Reaction score
China is moving towards the direction where all internet access is monitored. Have no illusion about it. Every loophole is being blocked or monitored such that anonymous usage of the Internet is impossible. Look, they are going the next step, to ensure every mobile phone buyer has his/her facial features registered. I have followed their policy with great interest. Sometime before 2008 Olympics, cybercafes begin to oblige that users produce their IC; soon after, buyers of SIM cards need produce IC.

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
Needing a mobile number to connect to hotel wifi is a trend now in China. For that reason I had to get a local sim card when I was in Shantou in October. Only at International Business hotel like Hilton or Holidays Inn that I was able to get wifi in the room without the need to register my Mobile number.

CPTMiller

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Obviously they need an identity for users on internet especially at hotels Cafe etc.

Pegasus08

Reaction score
WiFi in China is choppy and hard to use WhatsApp in China, can only send messages, no photos or videos. I had to resort to buying data in China.

SibehHL

Reaction score
WiFi in China is choppy and hard to use WhatsApp in China, can only send messages, no photos or videos. I had to resort to buying data in China.

You should know that your chinese hotel wifi cannot get you access to WhatsApp. Buying local chinese data will not give access either.

Buying roaming data with your Singapore SIM card will give you access.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.