Not enough natural light in HDB?

zzzzzz87

Reaction score
Hack down all your rooms lor… you get all the natural light at your dining and corridor outside rooms.

i live in a similar situation and don’t see a problem with if it’s dark. And if it’s dark and I need light, I’ll just turn on the lights because that’s what the lights are installed for so I don’t understand your reluctance too.

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hack down all your rooms lor… you get all the natural light at your dining and corridor outside rooms.

i live in a similar situation and don’t see a problem with if it’s dark. And if it’s dark and I need light, I’ll just turn on the lights because that’s what the lights are installed for so I don’t understand your reluctance too.
Even during the day?

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Eh if you stay on Low floor and it’s scientifically less natural light, then the only way is to knock down all the walls in your house right?
Even if hack down n if the rooms r away from windows, also cannot introduce much lights

sometimes switch on lights r inevitable
I also always keep the foyer lights on n the corridor too

if u know n feel it’s dark (for what u can accept) n nothing more u can do abt it, the next thing is to just on the lights

n not sure abt Ts furnitures too
If it’s also helping to block away lights etc

Ts yr track lights how does they look liked? Enough to light up a living etc?
I’m thinking of installing those led lights next time The long track (not track lights? Not sure what’s that called)… wondering if those r lasting hmm

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ts yr track lights how does they look liked? Enough to light up a living etc?
I’m thinking of installing those led lights next time The long track (not track lights? Not sure what’s that called)… wondering if those r lasting hmm
LED Strips?

rockmillion

Reaction score
Hi guys, few months back I bought a HDB resale on the 4th floor and south facing. I've noticed there just isn't a lot of natural light coming in and certain areas of the house look dim even in the day. I've gone with light colors for floor & walls, even knocked down 1 wall of the study room to change to a glass panel but overall the place still isn't as bright as I would like. Any advice on what else I can do to have my place look brighter?

You may try painting whole house with pure white paint because some light color paint also absorb light and make the place darker. If your living room is narrow and long then the portion far from window will be dark and LED white lights are best solution coupled with pure white walls.

In my previous house i used to keep lights on in the day time because i like brightness. When i changed to current house, my target was only wide frontage living room with full parallel balcony so i can get enough natural light as per my liking.

rockmillion

Reaction score
It's not really possible. So far I only managed to have it happen with EW facing properties, and only morning for east and evenings for west. And it gets hot.

Maybe interior designing with mirrors at strategic spots may help?

The most cost effective way is indeed to install more lights. I would go with LED daylight. The lights from China are cheap nowadays. In fact, replacement LED can be between $6 to $10, and takes only a minute to change.
A 36W LED light will cost you only about $63 to operate for 24/7 for 365 days in electricity costs (at 20c/kWh).

This "natural light in living room" is also one of factor why PGw 4br layout is not good compared to OLA and Piermont grand

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yup
Easy to change? Lasting?
The bulbs etc have to undergo test right but those led lights don’t know need to pass any safety checks or not
LED Strips can be easy to change if you know how to connect the electrical wires, where and what to buy the LED Strips. A driver is usually used, and would require connecting them. Most would look for electrician if they need replacement. Generally, they should last a long time if nothing fails, if not, it is either to replace the strip if it is not bright anymore, or no power which can either be the strip issue or driver spoilt.

Some would use those T5 T8 LED Tube Light instead, easier to replace.

koohansen

Master Member
Reaction score
Don't save on the LED drivers, i rather get reputable ones for peace of mind.
I'm using Philips, 4th year so far so good.

Those cheap ones, after a while you get "Disco lights" where it goes blink blink blink blink non stop

momoeagle

Master Member
Reaction score
This "natural light in living room" is also one of factor why PGw 4br layout is not good compared to OLA and Piermont grand
I'm bad at analysing layouts. Haven't really look at it much. More of a mini DIY person, ie fixing lights, leaks, sink chokes, etc. Extreme basic-handyman stuffs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.