NTU Msc Intl Cons Mgmt vs Msc Project Mgmt

the_clairvoyant

Reaction score
I have already accepted the offer for Msc Intl Cons Mgmt, but recently received notification that I have been shortlisted for the project mgmt course offered by school of MAE.

Would like to find out if it would be possible to cancel the acceptance should I choose to go for the Msc PM instead?

Also, anybody here able to give me some advice on which is the better course to take? As the Msc PM is a quite new, I am unable to find much information on it

-will-

Reaction score
I have already accepted the offer for Msc Intl Cons Mgmt, but recently received notification that I have been shortlisted for the project mgmt course offered by school of MAE.

Would like to find out if it would be possible to cancel the acceptance should I choose to go for the Msc PM instead?

Also, anybody here able to give me some advice on which is the better course to take? As the Msc PM is a quite new, I am unable to find much information on it

HI, as I know MSc. Project Management in NUS is under School of Environment and Design, isn't it ?

I also have an offer from NTU MSc ICM and NUS MSc BPS. However, I prefer to choose NUS MSc BPS.

IMO, NTU ICM, is much more focusing on construction process while NUS PM, is more holistic because it reach the whole process and applicable to another field. So, it depends on your needs.

Antz621

Reaction score

I am just done with MSc.ICM awaiting for my final results to be released this Friday. ICM is one of the more expensive MSc in NTU if you have not yet realized that... And I am not sure which field of industry are you from. In my case, I have double Masters in PM and ICM and IMHO; yes PM is definitely a better option to opt for. PM is a very generic discipline; and itself is covered as an elective under ICM. ICM is basically a mgmt-oriented course (very much theory classes) and it does not require you to undertake any hardcore modules from Civil Engg unless you opted these as electives.

Check with NTU SOE if you can opt out of ICM. Pop by their graduate studies office. Their staff are quite friendly and helpful. Else, drop me a PM and I will give you the course coordinator (Prof David Chew <- Nice chap!) email and you can ask him directly

Cheers Bud.

Prem0705

Reaction score
Msc in system & project management ,2013 batch

Any body joining this year NTU in system engineering and project management... As My self planing to join in 2013 batch. On the same , can Any body have idea on the profile i have and the job prospectus after completing my PG ...??

My profile : Mechanical engineer , having experience of 5 yrs in OIL and GAS sector as a Mechanical technical design engineer.. involved in many project working as support engineer for the execution of the projects ...

the_clairvoyant

Reaction score
i am a project engineer in a oil & gas EPC company, so construction is very much relevant, although we do other activities such as engineering as well. Yes I do agree that PM would be better as it allows me to keep my options open. However the course which I applied for is a new PM course in NTU, its offered by the school of MAE. Downside is that it is a 3yr course, which is abit too long for a masters program IMO.....

-will-

Reaction score
IMO,
if you already have enough experience, you should take PMP course and the test because it is much more suitable with you. As I know, master degree in construction management is more theoritical (however, I dont know how the lecture system in NTU will be).

if you love to go back to school. why don't you try to take MBA ?
instead of spending money on ICM (which the tuition fee is all the same among local, PR, and Foreigner).

you'll get MBA degree and PMP certificate at the same time.

Antz621

Reaction score
i am a project engineer in a oil & gas EPC company, so construction is very much relevant, although we do other activities such as engineering as well. Yes I do agree that PM would be better as it allows me to keep my options open. However the course which I applied for is a new PM course in NTU, its offered by the school of MAE. Downside is that it is a 3yr course, which is abit too long for a masters program IMO.....

I am also from O&G and though I am not from EPC side, I can still assure you Sir that almost none of the core modules in ICM will be applicable for you in O&G. Its electives like Strategic Planning & Proj Mgmt that can come in handy.

3 years for a MSc is indeed long but is it a double Masters?

the_clairvoyant

Reaction score
MBA is probably not so applicable to me at this point in time, as I have only 4yrs experience, and am looking to improve on my project management skills. thats why I chose either ICM or PM. the PM course in NTU is jointly offered by Manchester U.

Home 

Cost wise its 30k(3 YRS) vs ICM 20K(2YRS)

Both are not subsidized by MOE unfortunately....

Antz621

Reaction score
MBA is probably not so applicable to me at this point in time, as I have only 4yrs experience, and am looking to improve on my project management skills. thats why I chose either ICM or PM. the PM course in NTU is jointly offered by Manchester U.

Home*

Cost wise its 30k(3 YRS) vs ICM 20K(2YRS)

Both are not subsidized by MOE unfortunately....

My opinion? Go with the PM course. Top it up with a PMP in between.

If I could turn back time, I would have gone for this as well...

-will-

Reaction score
My opinion? Go with the PM course. Top it up with a PMP in between.

If I could turn back time, I would have gone for this as well...

I definitely agree with you.

I had a master degree in construction management (abroad). the class focused on construction issue as majority of the class are coming from construction background. So, I realize it didn't too suitable for me.

If i could choose between that degree or PMP, I will also choose PMP.

the_clairvoyant

Reaction score
ok thanks guys, I think I will go for the PM course, seems like a better choice as it allows for some flexibility in future

tckrto

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why waste money to get masters in pm just go get pmp will do. Most of the modules in msc pm were like taken from PMP and break into finer details to drag ot over 3yrs lol. PMP u can get within a yr with self study.

Just go search around most PM job don require you a msc in pm but a professional certificate like PMP is a plus.

gkmanuja

Reaction score
Hi, did you do the NTUs Systems and Project Mgmt course? If yes, need ur advice pls as I have been admitted to it. Heard its quite mechanical based and I am from ECE background.

DavidJohnson

Reaction score
hi, I have PMP, but I am thinking to apply for the next Jan 2021 intake in NUS master of project management. Any senior here can advise how are full time and the part-time schedule looks like? thanks

Euqorab

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, I have PMP, but I am thinking to apply for the next Jan 2021 intake in NUS master of project management. Any senior here can advise how are full time and the part-time schedule looks like? thanks

Evening classes only (7-10pm). Part-time students attend 2 or 3 classes per week, and full-time students attend 4 or 5 classes per week.

byakuya_23

Reaction score
Hi all, currently in construction industry and intending to apply for either NTU Msc in international construction management or NUS Msc in Project Management. Any advice which course is better and more relevant? TIA

Euqorab

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, currently in construction industry and intending to apply for either NTU Msc in international construction management or NUS Msc in Project Management. Any advice which course is better and more relevant? TIA
which is ur subset?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.