NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

IloveMilo

Reaction score
Me too!! I also didn't get any interview or rejection letter :(

Me three! Don't lose hope! It probably means we are on some waiting list. If we are out of consideration they would have rejected us much earlier on already and not make us wait till after June 2.

Are you a poly or JC applicant?

IloveMilo

Reaction score
By the way for those who are late bloomers like me I think you will be comforted to know that SMU do not consider O level results. They look purely at your poly grades. So maybe this piece of news will help you plan your appeal strategy into our local unis. Eg. To focus on which uni to appeal into etc.

For those who did poorly during poly but have excellent O level results - you may stand a higher chance fighting for a place in NTU & NUS rather than in SMU imo.

For those who did poorly during poly and equally poorly for O levels then I dunno how to help already. :(

Sophie8333

Reaction score
Me three! Don't lose hope! It probably means we are on some waiting list. If we are out of consideration they would have rejected us much earlier on already and not make us wait till after June 2.

Are you a poly or JC applicant?

I am a poly applicant. So it means that we will only get rejected after 2nd June?

joey_xu

Reaction score
By the way for those who are late bloomers like me I think you will be comforted to know that SMU do not consider O level results. They look purely at your poly grades. So maybe this piece of news will help you plan your appeal strategy into our local unis. Eg. To focus on which uni to appeal into etc.

For those who did poorly during poly but have excellent O level results - you may stand a higher chance fighting for a place in NTU & NUS rather than in SMU imo.

For those who did poorly during poly and equally poorly for O levels then I dunno how to help already. :(

I got 25 points for o level and was indeed rejected by ntu:(..

IloveMilo

Reaction score
I am a poly applicant. So it means that we will only get rejected after 2nd June?

Lol.. It is just a calculated guess of mine. Judging from the information I gathered by asking around, those who didn't make the cut have already long been rejected.

I can only guess that they do it in batches and since they have waited this late, it probably means that they are waiting for the better students to make up their mind to either accept or reject their offer. Hence, the June 2 date.

keepfaith

Reaction score
Hi all guys. Can I know anyone still waitting for reply from SMU ? My interview for acc has gone for 2 months so sad. Does it mean I have no chance alr?

The status still show pending no accept no reject ><

me too, i am in the exact same situation as you): i also applied to accountancy and went for the interview, but i have yet to receive a reply from them.

keepfaith

Reaction score
Because i have yet to receive a reply from SMU, i am thinking of accepting another offer first before 2nd June. However, does anyone know if SMU actually offers me after 2nd June, how do i change school? Do i have to pay a sum of money or what...?Thank you for your help.

isrida96

Reaction score
Because i have yet to receive a reply from SMU, i am thinking of accepting another offer first before 2nd June. However, does anyone know if SMU actually offers me after 2nd June, how do i change school? Do i have to pay a sum of money or what...?Thank you for your help.

Hey I think SMU does offer aft 2nd June cause theres a second window of acceptance listed on their website. Cause aft 2nd june then the school will knw how many places are still available.

rounders

Reaction score
Me too leh...SMU neither accept nor reject me. Never even call me for interview. And there is no option for me to appeal also. Feeling damm scared :(

Qosmix

Reaction score
for those applicants whos statuses are still processing it probably just means you are all on the waiting list. As long as you havent received a rejection theres still hope!

ronariel

Reaction score
seems like ntu biz igp have risen quite signifcantly this year.

over the past 3 days, the top 5 students of a biz diploma in nyp were all rejected by NBS. All of us had dip in merit and includes gold, silver , & bronze medal recipients. our gpa ranges from 3.77-3.88

How in the world does a poly student enter NTU, when being in the 10% of the cohort doesnt even get u a spot in NTU? Nuts

aaa123

Reaction score

over the past 3 days, the top 5 students of a biz diploma in nyp were all rejected by NBS. All of us had dip in merit and includes gold, silver , & bronze medal recipients. our gpa ranges from 3.77-3.88

How in the world does a poly student enter NTU, when being in the 10% of the cohort doesnt even get u a spot in NTU? Nuts

No offence, but is it a possibility that the uni does not view your school as equivalent as the other polys...

kloppite

Reaction score

what?? You serious? :s11::s11: But the IGP last year was only 3.78? If thats the case i see no point in medals or merit lol. Its the same as a normal dip anyway. So is the IGP this year approx 3.9?

Havok_ex

Reaction score

There are lots of things taken into consideration. Like whether said students are locals or foreigners. Also, I believe nbs doesn't discriminate between diplomas, so you're not only competing against other business diploma students but also engineering and science diploma students as well who could be much better than you. And how does the top 5 have a gpa of only 3.77? Isn't that abit low for the top 5 student? How does the top student have a gpa of only 3.88? What about the 3.9x and the 4 pointers?

IloveMilo

Reaction score
There are lots of things taken into consideration. Like whether said students are locals or foreigners. Also, I believe nbs doesn't discriminate between diplomas, so you're not only competing against other business diploma students but also engineering and science diploma students as well who could be much better than you. And how does the top 5 have a gpa of only 3.77? Isn't that abit low for the top 5 student? How does the top student have a gpa of only 3.88? What about the 3.9x and the 4 pointers?

Not surprising that the top 5 students of a course may only have a GPA of 3.77. Different courses have different difficulty levels, competitiveness and assessment.

For example, courses that are more subjective - e.g. design-based where art is involved or any other subjects where it is more difficult to determine "correct" answers unlike fact-based subjects - you will find that it is pretty much impossible to find perfect scorers. For such courses, the disparity between the 1st position and his runner-up may also be very wide. I know of a gold medallist (1st position) who won MULTIPLE national design awards but his GPA is less than 3.8. The average GPA of his course? only 2 point something.

For other courses where there is a more "fixed" right and wrong answers for examinations - more maths-based courses eg. Engineering, accountancy etc. where you may depend more on hard-core mugging rather than talent to score...

They may have the entire top 10% scoring GPAs of 3.9 to a perfect 4.00. In such cases, the average GPA score for the entire cohort may already very well be above 3.5. With such close GPA scores for the top scorers, how they determine the top 3 positions (who may all very well have perfect 4s) is the number of distinctions they earned throughout their 3 years.

So don't be too impressed if someone tells you he has a GPA of 3.9 and above. That person may very well be at the 49th out of 50 positions in his class. :s13:
Likewise, don't look down on the person with 3.7 GPA. He may already be the top scorer, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.