NUS-ISS MTech Enterprise Business Analytics (EBAC)

prashant_022

Reaction score
Same for me, why would I applied for mtech if later I have to take stackable one... time wasted

Actually didnt quite understand on this stackable route , because from their websites faq it states Stackable will be under weekdays sessions . Now that these stack up all way for a mtech degree , how in the first place it would be recommended for part timers who has work commitment ???

Will they have exclusive stackable on weekends in 2021 ???
Need more clear statements on these areas .....

snoozex

Reaction score
Actually didnt quite understand on this stackable route , because from their websites faq it states Stackable will be under weekdays sessions . Now that these stack up all way for a mtech degree , how in the first place it would be recommended for part timers who has work commitment ???

Will they have exclusive stackable on weekends in 2021 ???
Need more clear statements on these areas .....

Take leave if you want to go for their stackables as they are all weekdays public programs and from 9-5pm.

They recommend it cos they have limited slots for part time programs... and unfortunately, your standing is not as good as those who got in, as simple as that... competitive basis

U can consider stackable as a way to improve your standing... or you can try other program

They will hold webinars for the stackables, just have to check with them... There should be one upcoming...

snoozex

Reaction score
Same for me, why would I applied for mtech if later I have to take stackable one... time wasted

Well, competitive basis... so unfortunately, they have much better candidates for their part time program than you...

you can think of stackable as a way to improve your standing... and if you complete the grad certificates, it might improve your standing...and just continue the remaining masters program...

But ISS now do not have any more funding for their masters programs...

snoozex

Reaction score
Hi guys, just got a rejection from ISS. Was encouraged to take up the stackable route as I had already completed 4 modules out of the 14 modules. In the email it sounds like the withdrawal of the subsidy did affect their offering, but I’m not sure. Will know once more of you share your outcome here. Good luck for the rest that’s still pending result.

ISS is now working out some solutions for those under stackables... but do not be too optimistic as the withdrawal of all masters subsidies are confirmed... and ISS has some issues with SSG too (u can go search news articles a few weeks ago)

If u go to NUS grad fee pages, they already make a statement that government provides little or no subsidies for master program..

For coming Aug intake, only selected programs will still be subsidised... after that probably will be gone too..

snoozex

Reaction score
But whats the difference though? If both leads to the masters? I received the same email but under data science not sure if everyone receives the same.

Actually big differences if u understand how the stackable actually works.. it will not be clear if u just read from their FAQs, recommend u to attend one of their info sessions to find out on the details...

There are, in fact, some intrinsic difficulty/challenges for stackable to reach the masters capstone... these challenges are not explicitly stated on their websites nor clarification emails if you write to them... in fact, it is ACTUALLY "easier" to do part time than stackable as I know several switched from stackable to part time... now with removal of SSG subsidies, stackable is no longer a "cheap" way...

But since coming August batch will be full fees, so you might want to try again next year.. but now it will be 40+ to 50+ k per program... well the competition willl likely be less steep since the fee has more than doubled...

3lmo25

Reaction score
Actually big differences if u understand how the stackable actually works.. it will not be clear if u just read from their FAQs, recommend u to attend one of their info sessions to find out on the details...

There are, in fact, some intrinsic difficulty/challenges for stackable to reach the masters capstone... these challenges are not explicitly stated on their websites nor clarification emails if you write to them... in fact, it is ACTUALLY "easier" to do part time than stackable as I know several switched from stackable to part time... now with removal of SSG subsidies, stackable is no longer a "cheap" way...

But since coming August batch will be full fees, so you might want to try again next year.. but now it will be 40+ to 50+ k per program... well the competition willl likely be less steep since the fee has more than doubled...

Their email stated that the stackables lead to the same masters. And the mods are the same. What's the main difference then?

snoozex

Reaction score
Their email stated that the stackables lead to the same masters. And the mods are the same. What's the main difference then?

BMW and Proton Saga also have the same layout (got engine, got shaft, got chasis and so on) ... but are they the same?

The issue here is that not part time program is more recognised or more prestigious. But rather it is the delivery and assessment mode. YES, both routes DO lead to the same MTech. Guess no one tell you the challenges faced by stackable students... I believe you have not taken any of their stackable modules yet, suggest you to sign up for the required modules for one core cert then attend their info session on practice module. Of course, challenges to most may not be a challenge for you.

Good luck

Sharadsia

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am very confused with the program structure now. Applied for the full-time program and got it, but now that I look at it, seems a little scam-ish. The office told me its a "choo-choo train" of stackable courses.. so each course is like a few days and at the end of the course you take a "quiz"... and that's it?

Anyone in the program full-time can advise is this program really like this? Seems very out of the norm from a usual NUS masters which will require to do a module all sem and then take a big final exam...

Cheers,
Sia

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am very confused with the program structure now. Applied for the full-time program and got it, but now that I look at it, seems a little scam-ish. The office told me its a "choo-choo train" of stackable courses.. so each course is like a few days and at the end of the course you take a "quiz"... and that's it?

Anyone in the program full-time can advise is this program really like this? Seems very out of the norm from a usual NUS masters which will require to do a module all sem and then take a big final exam...

Cheers,
Sia
no idea what you are confused about

the is the new norm. embrace it. Good for the school, good for the students. You can drop out midway knowing you have secured a number of certs rather than entirely gaining nothing.

Lifeisatoughroadahead

Reaction score
I've recently enrolled in the stackable programme and read up more on their FT/PT requirements.

I realised the criteria is so much different. For FT/PT need to do assessment and interview, whereas no requirements for stackable, can just sign up.

Got a culture shock when I attended my first module on Bootcamp Statistics bcos although they mentioned no prior R programming knowledge is required, in the course the second day onwards they zoom straight into analysis using R liao.

Because there's no interviews/tests to assess candidates beforehand, one may find that the class is very hard to catch up if they go in without knowing what to expect.

And because there's no more subsidy, the difference in completing via PT/FT (~28k) vs stackable (~40+k) is huge. I enquired on the Practice Module, we have to find our own project mates in the "forum" section in Luminus. I foresee this will be an issue for me -_-"

Lifeisatoughroadahead

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Cheers,
Sia
I asked on this, the Lecturer said for all modules, if they are 5 days it means the sender for FT/PT/stackable. The main difference is FT happens on weekdays, PT happens on Sat and stackable happens on ad-hoc weekdays (I saw some modules offered on Sat).

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've recently enrolled in the stackable programme and read up more on their FT/PT requirements.

I realised the criteria is so much different. For FT/PT need to do assessment and interview, whereas no requirements for stackable, can just sign up.

Got a culture shock when I attended my first module on Bootcamp Statistics bcos although they mentioned no prior R programming knowledge is required, in the course the second day onwards they zoom straight into analysis using R liao.

Because there's no interviews/tests to assess candidates beforehand, one may find that the class is very hard to catch up if they go in without knowing what to expect.

And because there's no more subsidy, the difference in completing via PT/FT (~28k) vs stackable (~40+k) is huge. I enquired on the Practice Module, we have to find our own project mates in the "forum" section in Luminus. I foresee this will be an issue for me -_-"
sounded like anyone can be masters now. Just pay $ and complete the course (if possible)

Lifeisatoughroadahead

Reaction score
sounded like anyone can be masters now. Just pay $ and complete the course (if possible)
I'd say for stackable the main barrier to entry now is the cost. Other than that, need to have alot of discipline for self-study because the classes happen ad-hoc and do not have fixed/regular schedules like PT/FT. May drop out easily.

evil_kang

Reaction score
Hey guys.. i wish to chiong for the class again this week, i tried last year but failed at the exam stage, can anyone share any suggestions/tips that you have for the exam? Personally the exam was quite hard for me last year, i was struggling to finish in time but saw most people finish quite early haha

silentears

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. i wish to chiong for the class again this week, i tried last year but failed at the exam stage, can anyone share any suggestions/tips that you have for the exam? Personally the exam was quite hard for me last year, i was struggling to finish in time but saw most people finish quite early haha
u talking about the entry test izzit

basis stats textbook if u have should be the first few chapters till Central limit theory
then regression need know abit of the shape etc

the rest is just quick calculation

evil_kang

Reaction score
u talking about the entry test izzit

basis stats textbook if u have should be the first few chapters till Central limit theory
then regression need know abit of the shape etc

the rest is just quick calculation
Yes the entry test, thanks for the tips, are u in the course?

AlCJKA

Reaction score
I enquired about this course as a sponsoring firm, one of my staff is interested in pursuing MTech in SWE. The entry requirement for this programme for FT/PT and stackable route is the same.

For stackable route, although the individual courses/cert requirement is lower, after you've gotten the cert and applying to the Mtech programme, you will be subjected to the same requirements before you get admitted.

From there I advise my staff to apply to the PT programme to "test water" his eligibility. Worst case scenario for stackable route will be after getting all relevant certs and try to apply for Mtech capstone, then get rejected. o_O

silentears

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes the entry test, thanks for the tips, are u in the course?
nope. i didnt accept it. dont think my math can survive.

if u can't make it through the maths/logic tests, maybe u should reconsider the course. i have seen some youtube recordings and the quality of the teaching is kinda bad, given the fast pace.

not sure if this is the same for all eng/it during undergrad. i have trouble comprehending ther accent.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.