OCBC very strict with late charges?

pissedConsumer

Reaction score
I have requested for late charges and interest charges waiver for as long as I started using credit cards. I have never once been rejected before.
however, recently, OCBC rejected me because I have incurred charges for 2 months consecutively and they have already waived off the first month. They cant do it for the second month.

Does anyone have this experience before with OCBC? are they known to be "niao" (stingy) with their waivers? I have requested for at least 10 successful waivers from DBS and UOB.

The outstanding amount was $200 plus and they are charging me with a $55 late charge and $10.28 of interest.

Do you think that it's advisable to pay my bill amount minus the charges and then send my card back to the bank?
or
That i should pay all and treat it as a lesson learnt?

Please advise.

Thank you.

crashdog

Reaction score
can ask for another chance. i tried b4... say that u've been with them for long time and give ur reason like u're really busy recently so slipped ur mind and that u'll pay up the oustanding balance immediately. then tell the customer service to help reflect to the higher manangement and give u another chance...
it works for me the 2nd time that i forgot to pay, but i don't think it'll work multiple times. the sad thing for them is that bcos of their strict policy, i seldom use the ocbc card anymore lest i forget again...

goenitz33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just my thoughts, when you sign on the dotted line agreeing to a certain Term & Condition, it is up to the Other Party whether will they waive the charges incurred.

so far for myself with OCBC i have never encountered any issue with them though i dont actually owe them any payment also.

for your case if you are not happy with them not waiving and feels short changed, just pay it off and tell them to cancel the card.

geekroute

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
waivers are based on goodwill by the bank, if you did not pay on time, you should be liable for the late fee. sorry if i offended you, just my personal opinion, please ignore if u find it ofensive.

pissedConsumer

Reaction score
I have appealed for 5 times and they say that i have exhausted all channels.

Anyway I know that the waiver is out of goodwill as everything is clearly stated in the T&Cs.
However, I almost took it for granted due to the generosity extended from other banks.

My point is to bring about awareness to other credit card consumers not to take this waiver for granted especially with OCBC.

and also to seek advise if i should pay only the bills that i have incurred and ignore the late fees and charges? have anyone done that? will OCBC chase this outstanding balance to the end?

I really dont feel like paying OCBC this extra charges.

Thanks again.

heng_alvin

Reaction score
you are considered default if you juz pay the bill without the late charges even if you cancel the card thereafter. I would take it as a lesson learnt and pay off everything if i am u.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have appealed for 5 times and they say that i have exhausted all channels.

Anyway I know that the waiver is out of goodwill as everything is clearly stated in the T&Cs.
However, I almost took it for granted due to the generosity extended from other banks.

My point is to bring about awareness to other credit card consumers not to take this waiver for granted especially with OCBC.

and also to seek advise if i should pay only the bills that i have incurred and ignore the late fees and charges? have anyone done that? will OCBC chase this outstanding balance to the end?

I really dont feel like paying OCBC this extra charges.

Thanks again.
never should procrastinate in paying if one wants to pay using credit card

zippy79

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree with reddevil. Always try to use your cc as if it was on debit. I pay all my cc using my SCB xtrasaver acct within a week / immediately after I spend.

starbugs

Master Member
Reaction score
If OCBC agrees to waive the late charges this time, would you do it again?

Most likely yes and OCBC knows it. So there you go.

avsquare

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you are considered default if you juz pay the bill without the late charges even if you cancel the card thereafter. I would take it as a lesson learnt and pay off everything if i am u.

waivers are based on goodwill by the bank, if you did not pay on time, you should be liable for the late fee. sorry if i offended you, just my personal opinion, please ignore if u find it ofensive.

never should procrastinate in paying if one wants to pay using credit card

Quoting all the above as truth. TS, sorry to say this, but I think you probably deserved the late charges. You should have known better.

Inix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS: 1st time is OK, but 2nd time in 2 months, you are pushing it lah

Thanatos_Wraiths

Reaction score
TS, as you had read all the comments by now. Just pay up everything and move on from there.

However, if you are still wanting to do a last shot on getting the waiver, you may propose to them that you pay the interest charges but whether they can wave of the $55. If rejected, try to ask if it can be waive off the $55 if you are to spend a certain amt with the card within a certain time frame. Remember to ask nicely. No harm trying.

citaro

Reaction score
Wonder the ts keep on delaying the payment ? Anyway if ts return the card without paying the late charges etc. Ocbc can debit directly from his Ocbc saving account if he have one.

pissedConsumer

Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback.

i am not delaying payment on purpose, the bill amt is only $200plus, definitely affordable.
i understand the t&cs the banks laid down when signing the card, it is just that UOB and DBS have given me many many waivers for many years, but i guess they do so because im a long time customer plus i sign about 3k a month on their cards.

anyway, i have decided to go ahead with clearing up the balance amount. i have also decided to cancel the card.

thank you all once again for your feedback.

Inix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback.

i am not delaying payment on purpose, the bill amt is only $200plus, definitely affordable.
i understand the t&cs the banks laid down when signing the card, it is just that UOB and DBS have given me many many waivers for many years, but i guess they do so because im a long time customer plus i sign about 3k a month on their cards.

anyway, i have decided to go ahead with clearing up the balance amount. i have also decided to cancel the card.

thank you all once again for your feedback.
TS,

I think your attitude isn't exactly correct. First, you didn't pay up. Not once, but twice. $200 might be no big deal, but still you didn't pay up. Twice. This is a fact. The bank allowed you to have a waiver once, and didn't allow it a 2nd time. That shouldn't really be surprising to you.

Just because UOB and DBS allowed it to happen, does not mean that OCBC will. I have once been charged $400+ in interest and charges because I forgot to pay my $15K bill with HSBC. That was the 1st time ever. I called up, they refused to waive, I paid up, LPPL.

In the end, if you are a forgetful person, use Giro. If you are a large spender who don't want to Giro full amount, Giro Min Sum. At least late fees 100% will be gone.

quekky

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yup they're quite niao recently...

i incure late+interest for the past 6 months coz the merchant haven't refund me yet, every month I've to call a few times to get them to waive off, until last month i decided to just "pay" up the amount so that there's no late+interest this month (the ocbc manager agree to waive all late+interest) and wait for the refund to credit in

i refuse to pay no becoz i'm forgetful, but coz it was supposed to be refunded and i don't see the point to give them my $ for free

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U are not one but two months late for a $200 charge and the bank is at fault for not waiving late payment charge?

Different banks have differet policies but i must say that paying your bills late month after month doesnt exactly add brownie points to one's good credit history.

Huppiboi11

Reaction score
Ocbc also do not waive my late charges this round even i made a full payment immediately after they remind me of the due date and ocbc mentioned that they waive my late charges in oct last year and they do not want to waive the late charges this round.

I should consider canceling this card too as I didn't receive the bill last month... Damn.. Just small amount also charge me $55 late charges and $ 6.66 interest fee.

Do I need to call them to cancel the ocbc card now?

jazdrive

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems like there is a hardening of their stance on the penalties for late paying customers now.

For OCBC, there are usually only 2 types of customers that they would as far as possible bend the rules for them: private/premier and big spending customers.

And Huppiboi11, yes, you need to call them to cancel your card else your late payment charge plus your interest will roll after the payment due date.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.