*Official* BBCWatcher club

Kenghead

Reaction score
Hi BBCWatcher and everyone here. Please pardon me if this is not the right forum page to ask this question. I am hoping people here who have encounter the similar problem as me, able to give me some advice.

I am a Singaporean staying in Singapore using Standard Chartered online trading account for US trading. I bought and hold a US stock call Allergan, and it just went into a merger with AbbVie in May2020. I was given cash and AbbVie stock as a result of the merger.

I received the full cash offer initially, but after a few days the brokerage did a reversal of the cash and credited me a much lower amount. Apparently it applied a 30% dividend tax on my cash offering. I understand that there is a 30% dividend tax on dividends for non-US citizen but this is not a dividend payout.

I have contacted the online trading support team and is still pending answer from them. Am i able to get back my full amount of cashing offering? Many Thanks!!

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the Fidelity study?
I'm not finding the direct one immediately (possibly because it's Fidelity's proprietary research), but it looks like Investopedia picked up similar information in their ranking. Investopedia also ranks gold at the bottom of their list of inflation fighting investments.

A 3121(l) agreement was entered into for the Singapore subsidiary that employs me, so coverage is legally unavoidable unless I renounce or find another employer.
Yes, and that's rather rare, but I recall you mentioned that.

I wonder how many other U.S. parent companies have unwittingly signed up their Singapore subsidiaries for this. I also wonder how many Singapore subsidiaries unknowingly or knowingly violate that agreement.
Good questions! I don't think a U.S. person can transfer much of this risk onto an employer, though. Ultimately it's the employee's responsibility to sort it out as a matter of personal tax compliance.

In my experience, the local HR department will have no clue (and even if they do, they will play dumb and hope you don’t pursue it). The only way to be sure is to send an enquiry up to the head office to confirm it.
It's rather important to resolve, of course, if only because the employer's share of the U.S. payroll tax is rather valuable to collect. This is about your future retirement benefits if nothing else, after all.

There's an interesting "trick" that some people can pull off in order to maintain SSDI coverage: arrange to earn some U.S. payroll taxable income. One way is to take a part-time temporary job in the United States, to take a "working vacation." If the income is high enough, then you can log the minimum 2 "quarter credits" (Quarters of Coverage) to keep SSDI coverage going for another year. (The SSDI contribution recency requirement is a little complicated, but 2 quarter credits earned every year should be enough to keep SSDI alive.) Another possibility is to generate enough self-employment income to hit the 2 quarter credits level. In the year 2020 you need US$1,410 to earn one QC, so US$2,820 gets the job done in 2020.

Then there are possible legal and contractual complications with "moonlighting." In Singapore it's evidently legal for an employer to contract for exclusive employment, meaning the employer can legally prohibit "moonlighting" (taking a second job). Whether an employer makes that particular demand, precisely how broad the demand is, and whether you agree to it, are separate questions. In other countries -- Germany is one, I believe -- it's illegal for employers to prohibit all second jobs, although exceptions are possible, notably not working concurrently for a competitor.

I am a Singaporean staying in Singapore using Standard Chartered online trading account for US trading. I bought and hold a US stock call Allergan, and it just went into a merger with AbbVie in May2020. I was given cash and AbbVie stock as a result of the merger.

I received the full cash offer initially, but after a few days the brokerage did a reversal of the cash and credited me a much lower amount. Apparently it applied a 30% dividend tax on my cash offering. I understand that there is a 30% dividend tax on dividends for non-US citizen but this is not a dividend payout.
It might be a special dividend payout, though. Let me see if I can figure it out....Allergan and AbbVie....OK, unless the deal changed after its announcement, AbbVie paid US$120.30 per Allergan share in cash, and you should have received 0.8660 shares of AbbVie per share of Allergan. Typically in these corporate acquisitions your share count is rounded down to some whole share increment (nearest single share, or sometimes nearest 100 shares), so there might have been more total cash paid out to you for the fractional share(s).

Upon a quick read of IRS Publication 515, the primary publication brokers and other financial institutions use to figure out how to apply U.S. tax withholding, it appears your broker was/is correct in withholding 30% of the total cash distribution. Here's what the IRS says in Publication 515:

IRS said:
Amounts Subject to Chapter 3 Withholding

A payment is subject to Chapter 3 withholding if it is from sources within the United States, and it is fixed or determinable annual or periodical (FDAP) income. Generally, excluding gains but including certain gains from the disposal of timber, coal, and iron ore, or from the sale or exchange of patents, copyrights, and similar intangible property.

In addition, a payment is subject to Chapter 3 withholding if withholding is specifically required, even though it may not constitute U.S. source income or FDAP income. For example, corporate distributions may be subject to Chapter 3 withholding even though a part of the distribution may be a return of capital or capital gain that is not FDAP income.
The basic, unwritten but widely understood rule for brokers and financial institutions, frankly, is "When in doubt, withhold." They get in far bigger trouble if they fail to withhold.

OK, so the withholding occurred and is evidently correct (or at least not obviously incorrect), now what? Can you get the withheld money back? To answer that question we turn to IRS Publication 519. It looks like this acquisition is a return of capital (with a capital gain presumably), and so it's not subject to U.S. tax when there's a nonresident alien who held the stock and when the income is "not effectively connected" to the U.S., which I also assume to be the case. These Allergan shares weren't part of a U.S. business, for example.

So, if I'm correct in all the above, you can get the money back by filing IRS Form 1040NR (a nonresident alien tax return) for tax year 2020. I believe you cannot file this form until February 15, 2021, at the earliest -- something like that anyway. (The 2020 edition of that form won't even be available until sometime in January, 2021.) Also, this particular sum won't earn any interest in the meantime, I'm afraid. You'll just have to chalk this all up to experience.

Let's assume for sake of argument the broker made a mistake and withheld too much. I don't think so, but let's assume that. To my knowledge the IRS doesn't allow the broker to reverse this error. You have to resolve all such errors with the IRS directly, as far as I know. I suppose you could negotiate for free trades or something like that as "good will" compensation if you find some good evidence the broker screwed up.

In order to file IRS Form 1040NR you'll need a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) or ITIN. If you were ever given a SSN in your life -- maybe you studied at a U.S. university, for example -- then it's yours for life. So you'd use your SSN. (If you forgot your SSN then it's possible to recover it, with some work. Probably the easiest way is to apply for a replacement SSN card. Then please don't lose that card, and keep your number safe and in your personal records otherwise. U.S. SSNs are quite valuable, actually.) If not, then you need a U.S. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). And you'd get one of those by filing IRS Form W-7, which you can do at the same time you file IRS Form 1040NR. ITINs are slightly valuable (albeit perishable), so this part isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Then there's the interesting question of how to get paid your refund. The best way is to provide direct deposit information to the IRS, i.e. the "ACH" routing number and account number for a U.S. bank or U.S. credit union account. If you have a U.S. bank or U.S. credit union account already, great. If you don't, then you could look into getting one. Failing that, the IRS will send you a paper U.S. dollar check. And you could deposit a paper U.S. check in a bank in Singapore, but there will be a pretty hefty fee to do that.

Finally, as a reminder, your (now former) shares in Allergan, and your shares in AbbVie, are U.S. estate taxable assets. The dividends AbbVie pays are subject to 30% withholding tax (which isn't recoverable). And any future mergers/corporate actions involving special dividends or return of capital, similar to this one, are most likely subject to 30% withholding tax again (probably recoverable via Form 1040NR if a capital return). Part of being an investor is understanding the full range of possible outcomes, including tax-related ones. You've learned something! You might decide to roll this experience back into your investment and speculative (this was speculation, it's fair to say) decisions.

Last edited:

celtosaxon

Reaction score
One “trick” that I would like to pull off is with regard to U.S. tax advantaged accounts. After reading about the Roth Solo 401(k) it seems like it is possibile to contribute if I can obtain or manufacture some sole proprietor type of income outside of my employment. Have you ever looked into this possibility, or do you have any thoughts on it?

Kenghead

Reaction score
Hi BBCWatcher, thank you for the long explanation!
In my case, the share count is rounded down to the nearest single share. And Standard Chartered Bank trading account sold the remaining fractional share(s) at market price and credited the amount to my account.

You mentioned that about filing IRS Form 1040NR to get the money back. For my case, i am not sure if it is possible because the shares was kept under SCB Custodian account.

If the stock got de-listed from the exchange, i suppose the return of capital will be taxed too?

Sigh.. looks like this will be a expensive lesson to learn. I shall wait for the call from the support team and hear what they have to say.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One “trick” that I would like to pull off is with regard to U.S. tax advantaged accounts. After reading about the Roth Solo 401(k) it seems like it is possibile to contribute if I can obtain or manufacture some sole proprietor type of income outside of my employment. Have you ever looked into this possibility, or do you have any thoughts on it?
It's technically possible, but I believe there's a minimum upfront "sales charge" you'd bear: the 2.9% Medicare portion of the self-employment tax. You don't get anything back for that 2.9% tax since you're already easily Medicare eligible. Even so, that could still be a great deal.

I suppose it's not possible to participate in your employer's U.S. affiliate's 401(k) plan, right? The typical way that'd work is that the U.S. affiliate would be your official employer and then post you to their foreign affiliate as an assignee. The affiliates then do some back office billing, with the Singapore office paying the U.S. office for your services. There might be some U.S. dimension to this if everyone agrees, such as a couple weeks or a month out of the year you work in the United States. (COVID-19 restrictions and similar exceptions apply.) Income you earn while in the U.S. wouldn't be eligible for Form 2555 exclusion, but that's not a bad thing if you're trying to eke out some IRA eligible income.

I haven't researched the Solo 401(k) thoroughly, but as I understand it there's a fairly straightforward way to include your spouse. In the most popular approach, there's one business owner (either spouse), and the other spouse gets a W-2 as a bona fide employee. And it's possible to get up to a massive contribution limit if you thread the needles correctly: US$114,000 per couple in 2020 (even slightly higher if at least one spouse turns age 50 in 2020 or is already there).

I have heard stories of U.S. persons who "restructure" their overseas employment relationship. They establish a business, then they work as a contractor from that business. That's a little aggressive/edgy and requires threading some needles, but evidently it can be done if you're careful. Typically you have to figure out the value of employer-provided remuneration (monetary and non-monetary), figure out whether/how you can replace what the employer provides, translate that into a straight cash-for-services arrangement, and then persuade your employer to agree to the new contractor arrangement. As one example, you may currently be participating in an Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP). I don't think contractors are eligible for ESPP participation, so you'd figure out what that loss is worth then try to negotiate higher contractor billing to compensate. Liability issues can be tricky as another example, especially in certain fields.

Yet another complication is that U.S. tax advantaged accounts are only U.S. tax advantaged and sometimes tax treaty advantaged. Moreover, the tax treaties that the U.S. has with some other countries tend to be written with Traditional 401(k) and IRA accounts in mind, not often with Roth variants in mind. Of course to some extent you can choose your retirement country, and in Singapore these nuances probably won't matter, but it's just another uncertainty. At this point I usually fall back to my "Taxes aren't the most important consideration" observation. In other words, it's probably not a good idea to get too "crazy" about this stuff since you cannot really predict future tax rates and rules.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You mentioned that about filing IRS Form 1040NR to get the money back. For my case, i am not sure if it is possible because the shares was kept under SCB Custodian account.
It's possible. It's still your account, I presume.

If the stock got de-listed from the exchange, i suppose the return of capital will be taxed too?
Yes, 30% of the proceeds will probably be withheld in that event, recoverable via IRS Form 1040NR.

The basic issue here is that the broker has a lot more to lose than you do if the broker fails to withhold but should have withheld per IRS rules. Thus the broker has an incentive to withhold if the broker has any doubts about the rules. That's as it should be, really. This is all "working as designed."

Sigh.. looks like this will be a expensive lesson to learn.
Not expensive as such, but a little troublesome. I think you can recover these funds (without interest), but it won't be until early 2021.

I shall wait for the call from the support team and hear what they have to say.
Yes, please keep us posted.

CarlJung

Reaction score
U.S. persons like me have access to low cost "target date" funds.

Newbie here trying to learn how to invest his little saving in order to avoid dying poor :D

I read about those target funds, what I don't understand is: if you have access to such funds, why bother to invest diy in other ETF and whatnot? Why don't put all your money in one or few of those target funds?
What's the advantage?

Kenghead

Reaction score

Yes, 30% of the proceeds will probably be withheld in that event, recoverable via IRS Form 1040NR.

The basic issue here is that the broker has a lot more to lose than you do if the broker fails to withhold but should have withheld per IRS rules. Thus the broker has an incentive to withhold if the broker has any doubts about the rules. That's as it should be, really. This is all "working as designed."

Not expensive as such, but a little troublesome. I think you can recover these funds (without interest), but it won't be until early 2021.

Okay. Thanks for the advice :) i shall wait for the call.

Kenghead

Reaction score

The support team called and told me that the wealth management team said that the merger is taxed at 30%. Upon further questioning, the support keep repeating the same thing and say what the brokerage did is correct. He did not provide any solutions and told me to talk to my own tax advisor on this.

So I requested to talk to someone who is from wealth management team or someone more knowledgeable, but I was turned down repeatedly. The support is useless. :s27:

By the way, do you know how much does a tax advisor consultation cost? Apparently the W-7 form required supporting document to be certify true-copied on my passport by Certifying Acceptance Agent (CCA). I wonder is it still worth it spending money to get back my money.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read about those target funds, what I don't understand is: if you have access to such funds, why bother to invest diy in other ETF and whatnot? Why don't put all your money in one or few of those target funds?
What's the advantage?
Yes, they’re fabulous. I merely tweak them a bit around the edges, primarily for tax optimization reasons.

By the way, do you know how much does a tax advisor consultation cost?
Something like US$250 and up for a competent one, but you may not need one. If you simply want a tax preparer to do it all for you, it’ll probably cost about US$425. (I think that’s what Greenback and H&R Block charge for a full/basic 1040NR form preparation, as examples.)

Apparently the W-7 form required supporting document to be certify true-copied on my passport by Certifying Acceptance Agent (CCA). I wonder is it still worth it spending money to get back my money.
No, that’s not correct. A CCA is one path to get an ITIN, but you can still get one via postal mail. And one envelope will do it, together with your 1040NR. You just need the true copy certification from the government that issued your passport, that’s all. If it’s a Singaporean passport then I believe you’d just make a clean color photocopy of your unexpired (and not soon to expire) passport’s data page (not enlarged), bring the photocopy and your original passport to the Consular Services counter at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, pay S$10 (not cash, not Visa/Mastercard; NETS works), and then they should be able to stamp the copy for you. That’s when the MFA reopens after the Circuit Breaker, of course. This is called “legalisation,” and it should be fine for the IRS. Contact the MFA ahead of time to make sure they can do this, but I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how you do it.

One way to prepare a 1040NR is via the online tax preparation Web sites, e.g. TaxAct. If you do this in February and use a coupon for the site (easy to find) it’ll probably cost US$20 or less. (I’ve seen as low as US$8 in the past.) Usually these sites let you pay at the very end only if you’re happy. You won’t be able to e-file, but you can still print out and sign the tax forms, then mail them in. Or you can do it for zero using the PDFs and instructions, maybe also IRS Free File Fillable Forms.

Before you chase this stuff down please double check that you have a high probability of getting your money back. But at 30% of even 100 shares (roughly US$3,000 to recover), if you genuinely don’t owe this tax, this’ll be well worth doing.

brfish

Reaction score
Let's assume for sake of argument the broker made a mistake and withheld too much. I don't think so, but let's assume that. To my knowledge the IRS doesn't allow the broker to reverse this error. You have to resolve all such errors with the IRS directly, as far as I know. I suppose you could negotiate for free trades or something like that as "good will" compensation if you find some good evidence the broker screwed up.

I confirm that. My broker screwed up once and withheld 28% of the total transaction amount when I sold some shares. Later on they found out that I had W8Ben on file so there shouldn't be any withholding at all. But just as you said, they can not reverse it. I had to wait till tax season to claim it back.

Fortunately, it was 2015 and my original plan was to buy some commodity index, just before the oil price plunged... So in the end it actually played out well.

Kenghead

Reaction score
Something like US$250 and up for a competent one, but you may not need one. If you simply want a tax preparer to do it all for you, it’ll probably cost about US$425. (I think that’s what Greenback and H&R Block charge for a full/basic 1040NR form preparation, as examples.)

No, that’s not correct. A CCA is one path to get an ITIN, but you can still get one via postal mail. And one envelope will do it, together with your 1040NR. You just need the true copy certification from the government that issued your passport, that’s all. If it’s a Singaporean passport then I believe you’d just make a clean color photocopy of your unexpired (and not soon to expire) passport’s data page (not enlarged), bring the photocopy and your original passport to the Consular Services counter at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, pay S$10 (not cash, not Visa/Mastercard; NETS works), and then they should be able to stamp the copy for you. That’s when the MFA reopens after the Circuit Breaker, of course. This is called “legalisation,” and it should be fine for the IRS. Contact the MFA ahead of time to make sure they can do this, but I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how you do it.

One way to prepare a 1040NR is via the online tax preparation Web sites, e.g. TaxAct. If you do this in February and use a coupon for the site (easy to find) it’ll probably cost US$20 or less. (I’ve seen as low as US$8 in the past.) Usually these sites let you pay at the very end only if you’re happy. You won’t be able to e-file, but you can still print out and sign the tax forms, then mail them in. Or you can do it for zero using the PDFs and instructions, maybe also IRS Free File Fillable Forms.

Before you chase this stuff down please double check that you have a high probability of getting your money back. But at 30% of even 100 shares (roughly US$3,000 to recover), if you genuinely don’t owe this tax, this’ll be well worth doing.

I spoke with someone from Tax And Accounting Hub. This is what he replied me..

Please note you will receive a Form 1042S or Form 1099 next year for tax withholding. Once you receive we should be able to withhold a 100% refund or partial refund based on codes.
You also have an option to submit ITIN application along with Form1040NR to claim refund all in one go next year.

I am intending to ask them these questions that are on my mind:
1) Who will send me the Form 1042S or 1099? my brokerage firm? :s11: I think this 1042S form is for declaring your income, and will receive it in January. In addition, I never receive such form before, even for my typical dividends. Hence I have doubts if i will receive the form next year.

2) If code is 37, i am able to get back my 100% refund? According to him, there will be a code on the 1042S form and from there I will know if i am able to claim the refund back. I went to check up on the income code on website (sorry i am unable to post link)
Use code 37 (return of capital) for a nondividend distribution. This is a distribution that is not paid out of the earnings and profits of a corporation. It represents a distribution in part or full payment in exchange for stock.

I suppose that my situation will fall under code 37 theoretically? However i am also unsure who submit this 1042S form and what code will they use.:s22:

Last edited:

Kenghead

Reaction score
I confirm that. My broker screwed up once and withheld 28% of the total transaction amount when I sold some shares. Later on they found out that I had W8Ben on file so there shouldn't be any withholding at all. But just as you said, they can not reverse it. I had to wait till tax season to claim it back.

Fortunately, it was 2015 and my original plan was to buy some commodity index, just before the oil price plunged... So in the end it actually played out well.

Hi Bfish, so you did the tax refund all by yourself, like what BBCWatcher mentioned, File W-7 to get ITIN and then 1040-NR next year? Or the broker advise and assist you?

CrashWire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You just need the true copy certification from the government that issued your passport, that’s all. If it’s a Singaporean passport then I believe you’d just make a clean color photocopy of your unexpired (and not soon to expire) passport’s data page (not enlarged), bring the photocopy and your original passport to the Consular Services counter at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, pay S$10 (not cash, not Visa/Mastercard; NETS works), and then they should be able to stamp the copy for you. That’s when the MFA reopens after the Circuit Breaker, of course. This is called “legalisation,” and it should be fine for the IRS. Contact the MFA ahead of time to make sure they can do this, but I’m pretty sure that’s exactly how you do it.

I can confirm that this is the right way to legalise a passport, and it's accepted by the IRS.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) Who will send me the Form 1042S or 1099? my brokerage firm? :s11: I think this 1042S form is for declaring your income, and will receive it in January.
Yes. Ask your broker to generate one. This part might be tricky, but see below.

2) If code is 37, i am able to get back my 100% refund? According to him, there will be a code on the 1042S form and from there I will know if i am able to claim the refund back. I went to check up on the income code on website (sorry i am unable to post link)
Use code 37 (return of capital) for a nondividend distribution. This is a distribution that is not paid out of the earnings and profits of a corporation. It represents a distribution in part or full payment in exchange for stock.

I suppose that my situation will fall under code 37 theoretically? However i am also unsure who submit this 1042S form and what code will they use.:s22:
Yes, that's the idea. Some brokers screw this up, too, but hopefully not.

The IRS can actually assess penalties on the broker for failure to supply you (and others) with accurate IRS Form 1042-S reports. I don't think the IRS draws any distinction between U.S. and non-U.S. brokers, and hypothetically if it escalates enough the U.S. could cut a broker or other financial institution off from U.S. markets. Anyway, that's not the first argument you should make with your broker, but if you get to the point where your broker is uncooperative you can point their compliance department in this direction -- "to be helpful and courteous," of course. ;) And then if necessary you can write a letter to the IRS documenting your broker's lack of cooperation and copy your broker's compliance department. :)

....Anticipating a possible counterargument, and with some more checking, Standard Chartered Singapore might try to argue it's not subject to U.S. law in this matter. No, not correct. First of all, Standard Chartered Singapore already acknowledged coverage under U.S. law in its own actions: they withheld tax and paid the IRS. (They'd be in huge trouble if they didn't do that, or could be anyway.) Second, the IRS's instructions for Form 1042-S don't allow that argument. They're a "withholding agent" under U.S. tax law, and it explicitly doesn't matter that they're either foreign or corporate. In short, Standard Chartered Singapore is legally required to issue you IRS Form 1042-S, and it must be accurate, under penalty of U.S. fines and penalties which in some cases are effectively unlimited.

Anyway, hopefully you don't have to get anywhere near these stages, but those are the facts as best I can determine them. Sometimes we "ordinary investors" are correct as a matter of law even when major financial institutions are not.

FYI, if you pay someone to prepare your 1040NR, the tax preparer may offer to advance you the refund. Usually that's a bad idea, because the effective interest rate on a tax refund advance is ordinarily quite steep. I also don't think it's a good idea for tax preparer to be "in the loop" on a refund since there's an obvious conflict of interest. Yes, tax preparers often advertise "We'll help you get the biggest refund!" but what you really want a tax preparer to do is to get your tax return correct. That's because it's ultimately your ass on the line with the tax agency.

Last edited:

Kenghead

Reaction score
I can confirm that this is the right way to legalise a passport, and it's accepted by the IRS.

Hi CrashWire, thank you for confirming :)

In short, Standard Chartered Singapore is legally required to issue you IRS Form 1042-S, and it must be accurate, under penalty of U.S. fines and penalties which in some cases are effectively unlimited.

Anyway, hopefully you don't have to get anywhere near these stages, but those are the facts as best I can determine them. Sometimes we "ordinary investors" are correct as a matter of law even when major financial institutions are not.

FYI, if you pay someone to prepare your 1040NR, the tax preparer may offer to advance you the refund. Usually that's a bad idea, because the effective interest rate on a tax refund advance is ordinarily quite steep. I also don't think it's a good idea for tax preparer to be "in the loop" on a refund since there's an obvious conflict of interest. Yes, tax preparers often advertise "We'll help you get the biggest refund!" but what you really want a tax preparer to do is to get your tax return correct. That's because it's ultimately your ass on the line with the tax agency.

If SCB issued me IRS Form 1042-S next year, and the code they use is different/wrong, resulting in me unable to file a tax return for it. Is there anything i can do? because it seems to me that the submission has already been cast in stone.

On the advice with tax preparer, what do you mean by "I also don't think it's a good idea for tax preparer to be "in the loop" on a refund since there's an obvious conflict of interest."

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If SCB issued me IRS Form 1042-S next year, and the code they use is different/wrong, resulting in me unable to file a tax return for it. Is there anything i can do? because it seems to me that the submission has already been cast in stone.
I just explained that the financial institution is legally required to prepare a correct filing. They have a financial and compliance incentive to be correct. If they're not correct, just ask them to correct it, and (if necessary) point out what the law requires.

Kenghead

Reaction score
I just explained that the financial institution is legally required to prepare a correct filing. They have a financial and compliance incentive to be correct. If they're not correct, just ask them to correct it, and (if necessary) point out what the law requires.

Hi BBCWatcher, thank you for your patience on explaining the stuff to me.
I wonder if they go correct the form, does that means it will take another year for them submit again or will it be done within the same year?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they go correct the form, does that means it will take another year for them submit again or will it be done within the same year?
Kenghead, I'm starting to get a little impatient because I provided a link to the specific part of the IRS's published rules that explains all this. The IRS can levy fines if the withholding agent fails to provide you with Form 1042-S by August 15.

....Now will you stop worrying, please? There's nothing else you can do at this point except wait until the 2020 edition of IRS Form 1040NR is ready (and the 2020 edition of IRS Form W-7). That's at least 8 months from now. Standard Chartered has a legal obligation to provide you the necessary report for next year's filing. What else can be said? If you don't get the form, or if it isn't correct, you deal with it then as best you can. That's all you can do, and there's no use fretting about it now.

Kenghead

Reaction score
Hi BBCwatcher, i apologise for causing displeasure. You are really knowledgeable and helpful, I appreciate for all the advice that you have given. Thank you again for being patient with me :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.